FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Don't read, just BS here! Seriously!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Don't read, just BS here! Seriously!
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 02:00 am   Permalink

Tiki is 3.3" tall.

I used an exacto knife blade and a hacksaw to do my "carving".

Piece needs some sanding. I need some tools/carving talent. I don't even know how to sand sumthin' this small.

Yahey!
S T

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-12 02:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-14 22:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-16 14:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-16 15:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: sneakytiki 2007-04-16 19:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-16 21:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-16 23:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: sneakytiki 2007-04-17 12:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-18 22:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-19 02:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-23 09:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 02:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: sneakytiki 2007-04-25 13:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 13:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 17:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 17:53 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 04:10 am   Permalink

Really nice.
You can sand it with your nails That's a joke.
I think you can sand it with sand paper that you fold in two and you sand with the pleat. It is not really easy but when you don't have any micro motor...

Good courage,

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 04:22 am   Permalink

EXCELLENT first carve Sneaky!! (did you make a clay marquette?)

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 07:49 am   Permalink

Benella,

thanx!

I was afraid that sand paper was the answer.

Tama,

thanx!

The maquette is copper wire and chewing gum and will be posted shortly in the tiki chewing forum. Couldn't do the vertebral lines on the crest in my wood piece like I did with the Bubblicious and toothpick.

Regards,

S T

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 10:33 am   Permalink

Use those fingernail file boards. I think they are called emory boards. They are cardboard and have two grits of paper on them. I think you can get 5 for less than a dollar at supermarkets and such. Check the health and beauty section,

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-12 4:54 pm   Permalink

Yeah! That's cool as hell sneaky! Use the nail boards - they work great. also a roll of emery cloth that you can tear little strips from!

YEAH! Get goin'!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 7:45 pm   Permalink

Very nice Sneakytiki!
What is your little tiki made from? I'm assuming he's some kind of wood?
I love his beady little eyes! He has a lot of character for something so small.
In my opinion, he'd look even better if you could give him a pair of dentures!
Also perhaps a nice wood-stain would suit him.
Very cool.

View Profile of Tipua Send a personal message to Tipua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 9:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-12 19:45, Tipua wrote:
Very nice Sneakytiki!
What is your little tiki made from? I'm assuming he's some kind of wood?
I love his beady little eyes! He has a lot of character for something so small.
In my opinion, he'd look even better if you could give him a pair of dentures!
Also perhaps a nice wood-stain would suit him.
Very cool.

Thanks Tipua!

He's made from some sort of tropical hard wood, monkey pod maybe?

The tooth comment I fervently concur with! I was also having this very thought! I could use white seed beads or I might chip out some shell or bone.

The eyes make him look like "The Abominable" from Rudolph or a Sesame Street monster. I'm fans of both so s'alright.

I did some work on 'im today an' got him much more symmetrical. I'll post pix when sanded etc..

The stain is a possibility, I'll definitely clear coat him at least, probably matte so he's more authentico.

Quote:

On 2007-04-12 16:54, tikigap wrote:
Yeah! That's cool as hell sneaky! Use the nail boards - they work great. also a roll of emery cloth that you can tear little strips from!

YEAH! Get goin'!

TGap,

Mahaloz! I'll look into the cloth. I'm putting together my portfolio right now so I dunno how much time I'll have for carving the next couplah mo's. We'll see as I always like to experiment with lotsah types of media.

Quote:

On 2007-04-12 10:33, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Use those fingernail file boards. I think they are called emory boards. They are cardboard and have two grits of paper on them. I think you can get 5 for less than a dollar at supermarkets and such. Check the health and beauty section,

Buzzy Out!

Buzzy,

Thanks! I like the emory board idea very much and since I cohabitate with 3 female types it's not a problem to find one.

Washtay kolas,

S T

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-28 02:52 ]

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 9:38 pm   Permalink

PS
I got the "eye-dea" from the acrylic filling in Paipo's pieces and the beads in 8 ft's kava kava pendant in the swap thread, I need to redo one eye as it's not set as deep as t' other an' it
needs to be refilled w/ blk acrylic.

Peace,
S T

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-12 21:40 ]

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 10:26 pm   Permalink

Nice work sneakie/sneaky, pretty much the exact sort of project I'm eyeing for my intro to wood carving. I see a bit of resemblance to those fork/spoon guys you've been playing with?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 10:42 pm   Permalink

Lovin your little abomidable tiki! great job! Can't wait to see him sanded!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 07:20 am   Permalink

Paipo,

Gracias! There is definitely some spoon influence in there, also looked at my tikimaster Ku starting about midway thru the exacto- carving. I'm sure your first wood project will be infinitely better. I dunno if the stone u use has a "grain" but other than that I'm sure wood will just be that much quicker for you pebble pulverizers.

LLT,

Washtay! I should have him sanded soon. I dug out my "Bumbles" doll my sis gave me so papa Abominable can watch over Jr.

L8R,

S T

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-28 02:50 ]

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 1:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-13 07:20, Sneakytiki wrote:
I'm sure your first wood project will be infinitely better. I dunno if the stone u use has a "grain" but other than that I'm sure wood will just be that much quicker for you pebble pulverizers.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. I'd be pretty happy if it turned out as well as the one you've done. I have tried some basic cuts & shaping on a bit of firewood and this whole "working with the grain" thing has me pretty perplexed. I think I'll try using what I know (handpiece/rotary tools) along with a little knife whittlin' when I get stuck into it.
Jade has a grain, so it's important when cutting the stone to go with the grain (much like slabbing wood I guess) so you get a nice surface to work with. It's also vital to use the grain lengthways on a long slender design for strength. The beach stone I use is pretty uniform and can be cut any old way you like, but doesn't have the strength that the "grain" structure provides.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 7:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-12 02:00, Sneakytiki wrote:

Piece needs some sanding. I need some tools/carving talent. I don't even know how to sand sumthin' this small.

Like everybody else said - sandpaper or emery boards and a lot of patience. But, This guy has a lot a character just the way it is. Sanding will take away a bit of that character. Nice job though. Looking forward to the next one.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 8:11 pm   Permalink

The Next one is Always better, but this one looks great for a first. Well done!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation