FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Don't read, just BS here! Seriously!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Don't read, just BS here! Seriously!
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 8:15 pm   Permalink

I think its a great first attempt! Far better than what I can do.

His face reminds me of the original B&W King Kong...a mini-Kong Tiki if you will.

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 12:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-13 20:11, Benzart wrote:
The Next one is Always better, but this one looks great for a first. Well done!

BenZ,

Mahalo! I wasn't quite done yet, straightened out alot of symmetry issues everywhere, it lost alot of the muscle in the arms due to wood grain issues while doing so.

I dunno if there is enuf tiki left to sand at this point, might try oiling him instead, what do u reckon?

Quote:

On 2007-04-13 19:32, JohnnyP wrote:
Like everybody else said - sandpaper or emery boards and a lot of patience. But, This guy has a lot a character just the way it is. Sanding will take away a bit of that character. Nice job though. Looking forward to the next one.

Jp,

I really appreciate the compliments. Maybe I should try oiling him with linseed oil and skipping the sanding?

Quote:

On 2007-04-13 13:55, Paipo wrote:
Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. I'd be pretty happy if it turned out as well as the one you've done. I have tried some basic cuts & shaping on a bit of firewood and this whole "working with the grain" thing has me pretty perplexed. I think I'll try using what I know (handpiece/rotary tools) along with a little knife whittlin' when I get stuck into it.
Jade has a grain, so it's important when cutting the stone to go with the grain (much like slabbing wood I guess) so you get a nice surface to work with. It's also vital to use the grain lengthways on a long slender design for strength. The beach stone I use is pretty uniform and can be cut any old way you like, but doesn't have the strength that the "grain" structure provides.

Thanx again Paipo! With your electric tools I think shaping will be alot better. I just can't do what I want with the exacto tip/side. That's interesting about jade grain. Jade is really something, beautiful stuff, blood of the sun god some Indians say.

New pix (;

With Mom and Dad.

A-Ho-Ya!
S T

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-14 00:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-14 00:30 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 12:55 am   Permalink

It's getting better and better, man.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 01:51 am   Permalink

Thx Benjamin and Cool Manchu!

The last pix are twice actual size. The rough spots don't look any more noticeable than the suede texture on the lace so I think I'm gonna call it quits and oil him. I just gave him another once over after posting the last pix. The one step removed from reality that photos provide really helps me view my own work objectively, and it's not so hot. I'm so floored that the people in this forum even post comments on this carving. When I look at their work I'm just like...humbled/floored by their artistry.

Anyone else try the old trick of looking at your work in a mirror or upside down to check out? I've used the mirror to some success for symmetry corrections painting but the photo seems to do something with the size/scale that can tell u if your composition, shapes or colors are working.

After looking at Tipua's thread and then Marcus' thread I'm puffing on my antler pipe with cherry wood stem, nice relaxing Whiskey all natural pipe tobacco. MMMMM.

G'night.

S T

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-14 01:57 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 08:30 am   Permalink

Good first one! I don't know if you should sand it or maybe texture him more... Just a suggestion... Greetings!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 8:07 pm   Permalink

Greetings Clarita!

I'm wondering what to do next myself. I'm hoping one of the carvers on here can offer advice on whether to sand or just rub with oil, wax etc..

Thanks,
S T

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 10:48 pm   Permalink

Well, I went ahead and put some Old English Oil on my little Kong-tiki (thanks C Manchu!) and took some more pix. You can see in the front pic how his eyes need redone/refilled,.
I like the darker colors on him now.

Piks:

Bad tiki takes a time out.

Mahalo,

S T

kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-15 03:42 am   Permalink

thats a very cool little tiki

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-15 2:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-15 03:42, kroozzn62 wrote:
thats a very cool little tiki

Thanks Kroozzn! he'll be happy to hear that!

Regards,

S
T

Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-15 6:23 pm   Permalink

great first tiki....sneaky..

I agree with paipo, wood is harder to do, so you have done very very well! Can't wait to see what you do next

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-15 8:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-15 18:23, Queen Kamehameha wrote:
great first tiki....sneaky..

I agree with paipo, wood is harder to do, so you have done very very well! Can't wait to see what you do next

Amy

Thanx Amy/Queen Kamehameha!

I will try to do another as soon as time permits. Still gotta fix the eyes on this one. I really appreciate you posting comments/compliments.

L. L. The Queen,

S
T

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-16 01:09 am   Permalink

Hey Sneaky, What's your next wood project ?

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-16 01:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-16 01:09, benella wrote:
Hey Sneaky, What's your next wood project ?

Benella,

Hint:

Makau, Ku, Moai/Lono, ?, spoon.

S
T

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-16 04:55 am   Permalink

Sounds like you are hooked now Sneaky. We expect to see a lot more woodwork coming from
Idaho. Your paintings are cool too, I especially liked your Kava Kava man that went to
the tiki swap.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-16 10:02 am   Permalink

YEah, Looks like you are Hooked pretty good to me. That tiki was a pretty nice design and excellent for a first one, Especially for such a Small piece. Once you get working with the grain down, it will be easier. Just imagine trying to carve into a straw broom with the bristles being the grain in wood. when you try carving Into the grain, it sort of backs up and fights you, but when you carve With the grain you can cut so much more smoothly.
Whats next?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation