FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Don't read, just BS here! Seriously!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Don't read, just BS here! Seriously!
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 02:39 am   Permalink

KuMo front view, I'm starting on 'im an' I guess I DO need a maquette for this project. Skills would help too... At least I can always paint him if this fails.

This might hafta be a bigger tiki dwn the road, the exacto can't do that much in 3 inches can it?

Goodnight!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 09:39 am   Permalink

Well, I just finished a 20 hour workday, no BS! And found an hour to savor sum tikicentral creating threads while finishing up my spoon-tiki pendant.

He started out as A Moai/ Ku/ Hei-tiki -Makau composite but evolved into a Moai/Lono/ Hawaiian warrior/Hei tiki-Makau composite.

The Moai shares his hands with an upside down warrior in gourd helmet, the upside down Makau is a sideways royal Hawaiian head crest/arch. The Moais jowel lines become the warrior's leg seam between his upper and lower legs as he is in a sitting/squatting position with knees higher than his butt. The upside down warriors feet end at the Moai's lip part. The warrior's nose is also the Heitiki/Lono's nose. His eyes are also the Hei-tiki's eyes.

I'll get better pix of sides/front when able, my camera is cheap and I had to super edit these pic's just to make them viewable.

The planned Hei-tiki/Ku turned into a Hei-tiki/Lono with the lowerer brow ridge becoming the Moai's feet, the upper ridge becoming the Moai's knees, and both brow ridges serving as the lower part of the upside down warrior's gourd helmet/face.

The Hei tiki's tongue becomes the Makau/fish hook at the bottom of the piece.

I recieved a cheap rotary tool for my birthday but the only attachments I currently have that would seem useful are the sanding and sawing tools. I look fwd to purchasing some carving attachments in the near future.

It would be great to get any kind of files or carving knives/small chisels etc. as I'm working only with a hacksaw and an exacto knife at present. Haven't tried the rotary yet..

The eyes are inlaid turquoise - Moai, and clamshell- tiki, respectively. Drilled the Moai top-knot so I could use it as a pendant. The piece is 7 and 5/8" long/tall. Monkeypod tiki spoon wood from the Phillipines. I've already started on the fork.

I may try to sand this one. The monkeypod is super splintery and I don't want to ruin the piece even though it's very amateur b-cuz I spent alot of time whittlin' on it.
Any advice on stain/sealant etc ?

Mahalo and Aloha,

S
T

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-23 10:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-23 15:25 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 3:23 pm   Permalink

Tiki spoon -- pendant, 5/8" inch deep by 7 3/4" long. I put some linseed oil on my pendant and took a few more pix:

Polynesian warrior (upside down war chief):

Side view:

3/4 view:

Thanks!

S
T

Tipua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 5:33 pm   Permalink

Your tiki-spoon is awesome!

Your carvings have so much personality!

View Profile of Tipua Send a personal message to Tipua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 8:58 pm   Permalink

Those guys are very cool. I can't wait to see what you turn out when you get some chisels!

Mr.Hoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 09:06 am   Permalink

Hey Sneaky

I know that in a previous post that you said you didn't mean anything more than a helpful suggestion so here is my observation of your self described "carvings"

Sorry haven't read you postings here but
Your "carvings" look like the one time my dog chewed on the leg of my parent's chair. My parent's weren't too happy with her for that. Seriously the cuts look to be done with teeth and not anything remotely sharp or for use in wood. Do you really wear that stuff around your neck or out in public???

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 4:57 pm   Permalink

Tipua,

thanks man, you're too kind!

Mr. and Mrs. BPHoptiki,

thanks! I'm looking forward to getting some chisels too. I appreciate the comps!

Teakey,

Thank you for the critique of my work. Even if criticism is put forward in a hostile way it's still good to listen and discern if there is some truth that you can learn from.

As you are an intelligent and mature individual I'm sure that you meant it in a friendly way and that it wasn't simply retribution for the message I posted in your "Teakey's Critiques" Collecting thread.

When I look at my carvings I have to (for the most part) agree with your analysis that they look pretty much like a dog chewed chair leg.
That is one of the many reasons I'm not starting my own blog in the Collecting forum called "Sneaky's Critiques". In this blog that I'm not starting I won't compare my carvings against BenZart, BK, G-Man, Paipo, Tamapoutini and the other fine carvers here. I also won't describe myself as "One of the greats". I won't claim that any of those who cast resin pendants (Gecko maybe) should reproduce one of my carving designs on a large scale, as you've indicated TikiFarm should make one of your mugs. I won't call a much more experienced carver a Punk (unless they have a really cool Mohawk), or accuse them of making a "punk move" if they try to give me some valuable advice on the business of carving or for that matter on life. I won't call my work "priceless" and I will not lay claim to secret carving knowledge that few others possess. I think you're getting the general message here.

For my part I WILL try to use sharp tools and improve my craft in future carvings as long as I keep carving. I hope they will look better soon.

Aloha!

S
T

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 6:20 pm   Permalink

As BK said in a recent post, hone your skills first and then post.

"When I look at my carvings I have to (for the most part) agree with your analysis that they look pretty much like a dog chewed chair leg"-Sneaky

Great, we can agree on things still. Take care and God bless-tea

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 7:23 pm   Permalink

Teakey,

BK is a great carver. I haven't seen that particular quote but if it was made I'd have to say that I'd hate to see only experts posting. It was great seeing G-Man's progression from chainsaw hobbyist to kick ass chiseler. Same goes for many others. For my part I just don't think that amateurs should tell the artists how to work, that they are controlling the direction of the experts work or even that they are "the best" and talk themselves up constantly.
I'm all for any advice etc. as well and it's hard to get tips if you don't share work. If someone gives me a tip I won't tell them that they are scared because "I'm hungrier than them" and they can't take the competition.

Speaking of BK, here is a BK quote that comes to mind when thinking about you:

Quote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2007-03-27 22:04, Tiki Diablo wrote:
Teakey, you gonna make it to Hukilau this year? If you do, we are just going to have to drink a few cold ones together and shoot the shit then.
End quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're just trying to recruit him as a bodyguard, player...

End quote.

Thanks again. Keep up the paintings, they look pretty good.

S
T

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 01:22 ]

Tipua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 04:49 am   Permalink

Good on ya, Sneaky! You're certainly the better man here!

As much as criticism is welcomed by newbies like you and I, there's a difference between the helpful advice and constructive criticism offered by many of the more experienced carvers out there, and the just plain bitchiness offered by TeaKEY. Well done Sneaky for not taking the bait and lowering yourself to TeaKEY's level!
I enjoy viewing any new carvings you post on this site, and reading the comments on your thread proves I'm not the only one.
I think your carvings are endowed with a lot of character, and even though you're new to carving like me, I can tell they're only gonna get better and better!
Keep up the carving and the posting!

View Profile of Tipua Send a personal message to Tipua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hula Cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 05:29 am   Permalink

constructive criticism.....by those who care ....that's what I'll expect when I finally start posting my own carvings .....I have learned much by some harsh critique as I went thru photography school but ALWAYS was treated with respect by those who taught me well.....from the primitive can emerge greatness....I would expect and hopefully receive such mean spirited commentary in a personal message rather than in a public forum...so keep the faith......... Aloha

View Profile of Hula Cat Send a personal message to Hula Cat  Email Hula Cat Goto the website of Hula Cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-04-25 05:58 am   Permalink

So, when you have your dogs chew your carvings, do you use a bigger dog for the initial rough-out and a smaller dog for the detail, or do you just chew the detail in yourself because you have more control? Have you ever considered using a rat for the small detail? Rats are good chewers and fairly trainable, and aren't as distracted as dogs, so you can keep them chewing longer. Or are you purist and use dogs strictly? GROG cannot afford too many dogs to carve, so if you had to choose only one kind of dog, which would you suggest?

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-04-25 06:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 04:49, Tipua wrote:
As much as criticism is welcomed by newbies like you and I, there's a difference between the helpful advice and constructive criticism offered by many of the more experienced carvers out there, and the just plain bitchiness offered by TeaKEY. Well done Sneaky for not taking the bait and lowering yourself to TeaKEY's level!

He may be 6'10", but you've shown who's the BIGGER man.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 06:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 05:58, GROG wrote:
So, when you have your dogs chew your carvings, do you use a bigger dog for the initial rough-out and a smaller dog for the detail, or do you just chew the detail in yourself because you have more control? Have you ever considered using a rat for the small detail? Rats are good chewers and fairly trainable, and aren't as distracted as dogs, so you can keep them chewing longer. Or are you purist and use dogs strictly? GROG cannot afford too many dogs to carve, so if you had to choose only one kind of dog, which would you suggest?

You know, Benzart has 4 dogs. I wonder what he's not telling us?

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 06:55 am   Permalink

You're a good man Sneaky. Don't ever give up. Do what you love to do.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation