FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Don't read, just BS here! Seriously!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Don't read, just BS here! Seriously!
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 07:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 06:55, Jungle Trader wrote:
You're a good man Sneaky. Don't ever give up. Do what you love to do.

I completely agree. Don't let anyone tell you not to post your pics here. That's just ridiculous.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-04-25 08:06 am   Permalink

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hula Cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 08:06 am   Permalink

GROG.....you ARE an inspiration ! I have 3 German Shepherds and 5 cats (plus all sorts of wild creatures in surrounding woods) ........will I have to file more tax forms with the extra help?.....yeah ,the kind of help I need is different!

View Profile of Hula Cat Send a personal message to Hula Cat  Email Hula Cat Goto the website of Hula Cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 08:08 am   Permalink

"Well done Sneaky for not taking the bait and lowering yourself to TeaKEY's level!"

Too Bad you probably didn't see the other thread where he did post. Oh well.

Sneaky's dog chewed chair leg tikis, "priceless"(Title of Thread)

Great title, the "priceless" part must be Grog.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-04-25 08:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 08:08, teaKEY wrote:

GROG not sure what that supposed to mean, but GROG worth at LEAST two cents.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 11:36 am   Permalink

Here’s what we use.

Best darn carving tool we’ve ever had!

Mrs Hoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 12:02 pm   Permalink

You guys are killin' me. The bad thing about posting on TC is that you will get alot of unearned praise and very little constructive criticism. I have to agree with TeaKey - sorry.

Now for some helpful comments. It appears that the wood you used was not the best for a beginner - let me guess, very hard with a heavy grain. Most beginners pick up any random piece of wood and just dive in not realizing that they are settng themselves up for disappointment. My suggestion is to invest in some Basswood or Balsa to start off with (can be found at any wood carving establishment). These woods are VERY soft and carve well. You will find Basswood is perhaps the best for beginners. I enjoy the "dog chewed" stuff as much as the really good stuff - so don't get discouraged, you just need the right material. Keep at it and KEEP POSTING PICTURES!! This forum would be bland if newbies didn't post!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 1:16 pm   Permalink

Alohastation,

Thanks for your honesty. I think they are in truth somewhere between a chew toy and a tiki. I'm glad to hear the bad with the good. I think getting some softer wood and some tools other than exacto knives is probably a good start. I knew they weren't good but I figured it would be fun to show some pix and maybe get some tips.

No excuses though, I did spend quite awhile on the last one. Cross grain fuzzy areas were a problem. I read this could happen when carving monkeypod when I did a search the other night. I might try smoothing these last two but I don't know that they are worth the effort. On the other hand a native Hawaiian woman who does Tapa/tattoo like paintings at the studio I sometimes paint at really liked my tikis. So I guess they are at least recognizably tiki chew toys.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 1:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 08:18, GROG wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-04-25 08:08, teaKEY wrote:

GROG not sure what that supposed to mean, but GROG worth at LEAST two cents.

Priceless...

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 13:19 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 1:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 04:49, Tipua wrote:
Good on ya, Sneaky! You're certainly the better man here!

As much as criticism is welcomed by newbies like you and I, there's a difference between the helpful advice and constructive criticism offered by many of the more experienced carvers out there, and the just plain bitchiness offered by TeaKEY. Well done Sneaky for not taking the bait and lowering yourself to TeaKEY's level!
I enjoy viewing any new carvings you post on this site, and reading the comments on your thread proves I'm not the only one.
I think your carvings are endowed with a lot of character, and even though you're new to carving like me, I can tell they're only gonna get better and better!
Keep up the carving and the posting!

Tipua,

Thanks,

your stone carvings were very inspirational. I've still got to finish that pipe. Maybe it will get cri-teakeyed now. It looks a little chewed so far as well.
I read that soapstone and Catlinite i.e. pipestone are comparable hardness/carve wise.

Finkdaddy,

Thanks,

Maybe I'll post pix again after a bit of improvement. I thought the last piece was a step up but see now that perhaps it was bigger but not better.

S
T

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 1:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 08:06, GROG wrote:

Shit!

That does look pretty believable Grog, wish I could say it didn't. S'alright, I'm pretty good at being objective about my own work through my 2D work and can say it's not good, but for a second small carving, it's not terribly bad either. It looks to me like a tiki that got chewed a bit more than a chair leg that got chewed, but Teakey's assesment wasn't all that bad.

Thanks for the visual. I'm sure I won't suddenly shudder and sweat picturing it in my mind the next time I try to carve.

Bas-turd!

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 1:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 04:49, Tipua wrote:
Good on ya, Sneaky! You're certainly the better man here!

As much as criticism is welcomed by newbies like you and I, there's a difference between the helpful advice and constructive criticism offered by many of the more experienced carvers out there, and the just plain bitchiness offered by TeaKEY. Well done Sneaky for not taking the bait and lowering yourself to TeaKEY's level!
I enjoy viewing any new carvings you post on this site, and reading the comments on your thread proves I'm not the only one.
I think your carvings are endowed with a lot of character, and even though you're new to carving like me, I can tell they're only gonna get better and better!
Keep up the carving and the posting!

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 13:44 ]

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 1:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 05:29, Hula Cat wrote:
constructive criticism.....by those who care ....that's what I'll expect when I finally start posting my own carvings .....I have learned much by some harsh critique as I went thru photography school but ALWAYS was treated with respect by those who taught me well.....from the primitive can emerge greatness....I would expect and hopefully receive such mean spirited commentary in a personal message rather than in a public forum...so keep the faith......... Aloha

I certainly agree. A friend of mine told me to not react defensively to criticism, it can't hurt you unless you let it. It can certainly help you even if put forward in a mean-spirited way. If you listen you may hear the corn kernel of truth in the nugget of shit (she didn't say that part) that helps you improve yourself.

wplugger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 1:56 pm   Permalink

I live in Florida, so this is common here.

wplugger

View Profile of wplugger Send a personal message to wplugger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 2:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-24 18:20, teaKEY wrote:
As BK said in a recent post, hone your skills first and then post.

"When I look at my carvings I have to (for the most part) agree with your analysis that they look pretty much like a dog chewed chair leg"-Sneaky

Great, we can agree on things still. Take care and God bless-tea

Teakey,

If you really felt that way I don't think you'd have posted "Moai Trio" or some of your other less successful works, unless you were under the impression that they were finely wrought pieces. Perhaps you were, as you made cards for them. It's been good seeing you go from posting those old pieces to some much better pieces more recently.

While we are on the topic of honing your skills before posting, let's discuss your spelling and grammar. If you won't take the time to learn some bedrock spelling and punctuation, then at least use the spell check tool. It would really help you come across in a better light. Hone the spelling (or have spell check hone it), then post. You can also use the quote button to quote rather than always copy-pasting. This would be in line with the philosophy you are so kindly preaching, no?

That is, unless you don't really feel that way and are just reaching for any angle in which to attack my work. As you are so prudent and humble I'm sure this is not the case.

Hoka hey!

S
T

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation