FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Making a Volcano... suggestions?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Making a Volcano... suggestions?
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 11:24 am   Permalink

Ok, the backyard is finally getting redone.. .and one of my tasks is to buil Mt. Ubangee, the fire flanked smoke spitting volcano in the corner.

I'm thinking of a wood and/or metal frame, covered in chickenwire (for shape), with a layer of burlap, covered with expanding foam and capped with a quickcrete or SprayTop coat of very light concrete.

any thoughts? I havent done this before, and figured i'd ask before I got too far down the path to find out it doesnt work all that well, or there is an easier way.

the Volcano will need to be hollow to allow room for the smoke machine, water and gas lines.

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 11:43 am   Permalink

I would bulid it like the Kahiki built thier Moais out front
of The Kahiki.
They used rebar and metal mesh (like you would use to do stucco
on a house)
Bend rebar to shape. Then wire mesh to rebar.
Then put on concrete.
See Kahiki Big Moai rebirth in collecting tiki here on TC
for some photos.
Good Luck.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EyeballJohn
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-12 4:04 pm   Permalink

Hi Choptop, I'm in the planning stages of making the same thing, a waterfall/volcano, I was going to make a frame out of treated wood and build up my volcano shape with wire mesh and use either spray foam covered in fiberglass or concrete, still workin out the details, must have water, smoke and lights, and some Don Tiki playing in the background, Later EyeballJohn

View Profile of EyeballJohn Send a personal message to EyeballJohn  Email EyeballJohn Goto the website of EyeballJohn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 5:02 pm   Permalink

The import car guys make speaker pods by making a basic buck out of MDF, stretching cloth over that, and then using fiberglass resin to make it solid and stiff. Adapting this, what about the steel or wood shell, chicken wire for shape, cloth over the top of this, and then fiberglass resin over this, painted with a stone effect paint for texture? Would be a lot lighter than concrete meaning the skeleton would not have to be as substantial.

oh yeh - make it BIG

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 09:47 am   Permalink

In order to make a volcano-you'll need a huge titanium tipped drill or at least one of them Robust nuclear penetrating missles...You drill down into the earth until you hit lava...the lava spurting upward will create the cone of the volcano and you're done!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 10:00 am   Permalink

Diamond metal lathe (paper backed) is your friend!

It will shape wonderfully, and it will hold the crete!

http://www.centralexpandedmetal.com/expanded_material_patterns.asp

Been there, done that! Let me know if you need any help (questions that is)

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 10:56 am   Permalink

I am not a builder, and have no suggestions for how to construct a volcano. But I am currently amused with the thought of someone building a wood framed volcano, and then having it catch fire, and the local fire department being called in to save the burning volcano.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 5:55 pm   Permalink

Make the fire fighters mai tais and call it good. I can't wait to see how this comes out. A Volcano could be cool. Keep us posted.

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scaperman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-13 6:35 pm   Permalink

I used lava stone for my volcano fire pit,

View Profile of scaperman Send a personal message to scaperman  Email scaperman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 9:23 pm   Permalink

I'm dying to try this as well. Let's see some pictures as it comes along.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 1:30 pm   Permalink

I'll post some pics here soon. Will be trying out different small versions first. Will report back with some techniques and materials.

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Leo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-19 6:56 pm   Permalink

I am building one of these too. I plan to construct the base from concrete block and form the sides and vent with hand tied rebar and mesh. I think the concete will have to be poured in tiers ... I bet gunite would be awesome if you got some connections.

My Volcano will be a waterfall for the pond. Hopefully hiding the pump and filtration. Right now I have a good size hole.

View Profile of King Leo Send a personal message to King Leo  Email King Leo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-20 1:43 pm   Permalink

Sounds like a good idea. I have heard that expanding foam is sensitive to UV, so the top coat of concrete would be important. The burlap is also a good idea, it solves the problem I had with the foam going though the chicken wire, and taking about 2x as much foam as you'd need otherwise. I really like the organic look that the expanding foam gives for a volcano.
Mine is just for indoors, built on a tomato cage with chicken wire. Red cellophane so the lights can be seen, with a fog machine on a 15 min timer. The lights were done with xmas lights, some on all the time, and some that flashed randomly, which gave it a great flickering effect, while still being on at some level all the time.
Here's the start with just a little bit of foam (Might have been the first can)

More foam

And a big jump to done - I might have put more black paint on after.

It did crack over the next few months, and now has some yellow foam color peeking out, I still like how it looks, and it's coming up on 2 years old. It's always inside though.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-20 2:33 pm   Permalink

Go all you volcano builders! Can’t wait to see what you come up with. All this creativity!

Hee hee hee hee…little lost tiki .

Cute little volcano Mieko. I would love to see what it looks like with the fog and lights on.

Smiles, Mrs Hoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
monkeyskull
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-21 08:13 am   Permalink

I've been considering a backyard volcano as well. Some people have remarked how nice it would be to have a fire pit, and I envisioned a volcano in one corner with a lava flow of lava rocks down one side and into the main yard and down over a some gas flames that made it look like the bottom of the lava flow was still burning.

I have no idea how to construct a good, outdoor volcano structure, so I'll be watching this thread with much interest (and hoping to see many pictures).

View Profile of monkeyskull Send a personal message to monkeyskull  Email monkeyskull Goto the website of monkeyskull     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation