FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Northeast Tiki Tour (NETT) 8/25/07
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
Northeast Tiki Tour (NETT) 8/25/07
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 11:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-04 10:35, Bargoyle wrote:

Anyway, some great shots, and we may have something else to look forward to before the year is out. Maybe. I'll post if it works out.

OMG, post dates SOON if it works out, please! The rest of the year is crazy, but I'll perish if I have to miss it!

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 11:04 am   Permalink

Thinking weekend of Oct 20th rt now, but thats subject to change. Cant give any details until its solid. Stay tuned.

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kristiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-04 11:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-04 11:04, Bargoyle wrote:
Thinking weekend of Oct 20th rt now, but thats subject to change.

Argh argh, bad weekend! (Unless it's Sunday.)

View Profile of kristiki Send a personal message to kristiki  Goto the website of kristiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 12:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-04 11:28, kristiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-09-04 11:04, Bargoyle wrote:
Thinking weekend of Oct 20th rt now, but thats subject to change.

Argh argh, bad weekend! (Unless it's Sunday.)

LOL, that's one of the good weekends for us!

Bargoyle, the tour was just too good. Now we'll all die if we can't go!

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 2:19 pm   Permalink

The 20th works for me. Better than the 13th, but that's also possible not just as good.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 2:43 pm   Permalink

20th Yay! Im in! What can I do? Mai Tais!! Pu-Pu's!! Tikis!! Mugs!! Hula!! Okonkuluku!! Gotta love it!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-05 8:38 pm   Permalink

20th is perfect for the Johnman.

We're in Salem, MA the following weekend to check out the witchy stuff before Halloween. Any tiki bars in Salem? LOL

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-05 9:50 pm   Permalink

The pictures are great!!! Looks like you all partied hard....with great places to imbibe. I liked how that flock of birds were roosting on the mugs in the hotel room...very organized!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 03:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-05 20:38, johnman wrote:
20th is perfect for the Johnman.

We're in Salem, MA the following weekend to check out the witchy stuff before Halloween. Any tiki bars in Salem? LOL

Beth accidentally found a place called the Mai Tai in the area. I moved out of Salem 6 years ago, and never heard of the place...

It seems that it's on Rantoul St in Beverly:
Mai Tai Cafe
Address: 208 Rantoul St, Beverly, MA 01915
Phone: (978) 922-8808
This is on Rt 1A, perhaps 2 miles from downtown Salem. I have NO idea of its Tiki-ness, but with a name like that it's a MUST. We expect a report, of course.

There's also Fantasy Island on the Swampscott line, right in Vinnin Square. It has been MANY years since I've been there - I don't think the food was that good - and I barely remember the inside so I have no idea of its Tiki-ness.
Fantasy Island
Address: 516 Loring Ave, Salem, MA 01970
Phone: (978) 745-1700

As for Salem that weekend... Good luck, man. I moved out of Salem because of the month of October - too many freaking tourists. It once took me 59 minutes to drive 1 mile. Insane. If you're going there, I would get there early - well before dark - and find a space in the parking garage downtown on Derby St (Rt 1A, you can't miss the garage at an intersection where Rt 1A turns a corner). Visit the shops on Pickering Wharf, grab dinner, and hang out until the festivities start. If you get there late, there won't be any parking, so they bus people in from the Northshore Mall in Peabody.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 05:50 am   Permalink

Ah...the magic of Salem in October. Scott, I know exactly what you are talking about. And it seems to be getting bigger every year. Birdgirl and I moved from there about 4 years ago, but we both still have family living there.

Anyway, if anyone happens to go to Salem, Fantasy Island is definitely worth checking out for the drinks, especially the mai tai. But Scott is right, they have just about no tiki whatsoever in the joint. They do have Keno and karaoke, which seem to be mandatory for tiki bars in MA, but no actual tiki.

The good news is that the bartenders have all been working there forever and the mai tais are really good. The other drinks are good too, but everyone in there will be drinking a mai tai at the bar, even the people who would usually drink a beer.

The pu-pus are good, especially the crab rangoons. I never had any of the other dishes. Food-wise, I think its better than the kowloon but not as good as bali hai, and at great personal risk I will also say that the drinks are better than the kowloon or bali hai (uh oh...I probably just started something there). Mug usage is minimal - I remember they do have some coconut mugs and scorpion bowls, but the mai tais come in a double-old-fashioned glass, just like god intended.

If it were not for the fact that the place is a little off the beaten path and has no tiki, I would have recommended Fantasy Island for the NE tiki tour, not that Bargoyle or Pappy needed any help from me.

Nicole and I will be in Salem next week and definitely will be stopping by the Island because you just can't get a good crab rangoon in NYC (probably just started something there too). If anyone will be around, let me know.

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 05:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-06 05:50, leisure master wrote:
Nicole and I will be in Salem next week and definitely will be stopping by the Island because you just can't get a good crab rangoon in NYC (probably just started something there too). If anyone will be around, let me know.

All of next week, or the weekend?

I have plans for this weekend, but my arm could be twisted to go up to Salem one night after work. The wife's away, ya know... And I wouldn't mind checking out the Mai Tai Cafe in Beverly if you're there and up for it, though a good Mai Tai and a good Crab Rangoon at FI is hard to beat.

[ This Message was edited by: Scottes 2007-09-06 05:55 ]

leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 06:12 am   Permalink

Actually, only in town for the weekend next week, arriving thursday night. Most likely timing for FI would be next Friday afternoon/night.

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 06:21 am   Permalink

Next Friday, the 14th?? Actually, I can most likely make that. I have the 14th off since my wife is flying back, and she'll probably be so jet-lagged that she won't mind me running off in the late afternoon or night.

Keep me in mind when you make plans and I'll see if I can get up there.

Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 5:32 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2007-09-06 03:50, Scottes wrote:

Beth accidentally found a place called the Mai Tai in the area. I moved out of Salem 6 years ago, and never heard of the place...

It seems that it's on Rantoul St in Beverly:
Mai Tai Cafe
Address: 208 Rantoul St, Beverly, MA 01915
Phone: (978) 922-8808
This is on Rt 1A, perhaps 2 miles from downtown Salem. I have NO idea of its Tiki-ness, but with a name like that it's a MUST. We expect a report, of course.

What he meant to say was I have no sense of direction & drove by this place when I thought I was lost in Downtown Salem! Thanks for not mentioning I had no idea where I was other than some place in Mass! And thanks for finding out the place really exists even if I was in Beverly at the time.

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 10:34 pm   Permalink

You weren't too far from downtown Salem. That's "barely lost"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation