FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Cook Islands March 2007 - Image Heavy
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Cook Islands March 2007 - Image Heavy
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-18 9:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks Unga and Pablus. Yes Coco Loco.....67! His name is "Pa". He had been doing the trek for 20 tears (has 10 kids and is on his 3rd wife...if not happy, get another......amen brother). Our trek was # 3,198. He was doing 2 more for a nice
round 3200, so you may have to do the trek with his partner. He said that there had been 27 heart attacks on the trek over the years with only one fatality. The person died of a virus after they returned to Europe.

The trail was pretty wet from night time storms (was cancelled a couple days before) and I slipped a couple times and had a couple of knots on both shins where they were stopped by logs at the proper height. Pa is "retiring" to work on a cruise ship out of Tahiti. What a way to go.

The people of these Islands take pride in their modest homes. Everyones lawn and shrubs were well trimmed. Looked like an army of gardners had just been through there.

Tiki Bird. It's not me.....just get one of those cameras.

Tiki San & croe67..... I love Kauai and the other Hawaiian Islands, but there is no comparison. The Cook Islands are much more beautiful in my opinion. Our plan was to return to Moorea where we honeymooned 15 years ago. Moorea is still more beautiful than Hawaii, but the Cooks seemed even less developed and the people freindlier. It's not cheap, but you have to put things in perspective. Most tropical resorts have the rooms by: Garden View, Mountain View, Partial Ocean View, Ocean View, Ocean Front, and in Tahiti Overwater Bungalows (I personally do not like how these impinge on water and the views of the natural beauty of the lagoon). The prices for each upgrade can really escalate.

On Rarotonga it was $20.00 a day more for the ones on the beach. On Aitutaki the resort did have Oceanfront and Absolute Oceanfront. They all had an ocean view. So comparing how much an oceanfront 1 bedroom in Hawaii or Tahiti it was very comparable. Both included breakfast, Kayaks, and snorkel gear and on Aitutaki bicycles.

The flight from LAX to Tahiti was about 8 1/2 hours, 1 1/2 hour layover, 1 3/4 hour flight to Rarotonga, 45 minutes to Aitutaki (survivor was filmed on one of their small islands on the outer reef. Plane was half full so it was easy to stretch out for the red eye flight.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiare
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-18 9:43 pm   Permalink

Love the photos! We went to the Cooks for our 2003 honeymoon. I nearly had a heart attack on Pa's trek, never have been so sore in my life the next day.

Where did you stay? We stayed at the Little Poly (before it was redone) which was next to the Paw Paw Patch, did you stay there or on the other side?

We went to Aitu as well and loved it.

Great photos by the way.

http://alohatiki.blogspot.com
A sporadically updated blog about tiki, food and stuff.

View Profile of Tiare Send a personal message to Tiare  Goto the website of Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 10:22 pm   Permalink

So... that's what paradise looks like.

Beautiful pictures Ron, thanks for sharing!

Someday...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 08:37 am   Permalink

lucky bastard. it ruined my day.
Seriously, great pictures, thanks for posting.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 09:22 am   Permalink

Ron,
Where did you stay and for how long? I might just change my Big Island plans for this. The pics are amazing!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hawaiiansnowball
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-19 11:27 am   Permalink

That's it, I think I'm going to have to cash out my 401K plan and fly over there and claim political assylum!

View Profile of hawaiiansnowball Send a personal message to hawaiiansnowball  Email hawaiiansnowball Goto the website of hawaiiansnowball     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 11:51 am   Permalink

Some of you may remember this series of articles from 2003 about a Los Angeles family that moved to the Cook Islands.

http://www.laweekly.com/general/features/rarotonga-or-bust/2550/

The article is discussed here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4881&forum=1&hilite=cook%20islands

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 11:54 am   Permalink

Bongofury, thanks for sharing photo's of that beautiful tropical paradise.

Here's where I want to live. Look at that GREEN. Wow!

Mrs Hoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 1:04 pm   Permalink

An anthropologist who has been to all the islands and takes 2 trips a year for the last 40 years told me that the Cook Islands is the place to go. Beautiful like Tahiti on steroids. Friendly people who speak English. A more intact culture where they welcome visitors. Reasonable prices.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-19 8:16 pm   Permalink

We went at the end of their summer (low season) so prices may be higher now. Your U.S. dollar goes pretty far as the New Zealand dollar was 25% lower. We really didn't do much shopping, jsut relaxing for the most part. I think if you want to own land you have to marry a local (Mrs. Fury offered to get a divorce so we coudl do that). I'm sure most of us would get island fever after awhile, but so tempting.

We spent 5 days on Rarotonga here :
www.rarobeachbungalows.com
and 4 days here: www.etumoana.com

We booked it through the Costco Travel website (I wonder if it would be 25% less if you could book it through a New Zealand agent?). We tried to book it through our regular agent, but could not get the same savings or low cost tarvel insurance they offer. The site does not offer the beachfront as they are trying to show the cheapest accomodations, but just speak to one of their agents and they can do any upgrades. Try to do it in one call as you may get a different agent every time you call.

We liked the bungalow on Raro a little better as the other one was a little fancy, but nice.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-04-20 07:48 am   Permalink

Bongo, great pictures and thanks for sharing them. Iknow it takes a while to put together a presentation like this and I am VERY glad that you took the time to do it. Your pictures are AMAZING

Loved those giant clam pictures!!!! and that one with you and the fishing floats - classic! Looks like a beautiful place. you make me want to leave and go to paradise

THanks for the info on places to stay as well, that will come in handy. I had always thought Roratonga would be my first South Seas destination and now you are solidifying that!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-20 10:24 am   Permalink

Thanks for the tips on Costco travel - I think I'll try that. I am not a fan of travel agents & generally book all travel on my own, but I have been trying to figure out how to anything other than rack rates on the Raratonga bungalow options. Sounds likel Costco is a good option - thanks a ton for sharing!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mogambo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 12:21 am   Permalink

Nice Photos. They brought back the memories from our "pacific" world trip. Yeah, we liked the Cook Islands best. Also went to Rarotonga and Aitutaki.

Here we were at the workshop of Island Craft, where they carve copies of a Tangaroa statue that they got from the British Museum.

www.armchair-travelling.com

View Profile of Mogambo Send a personal message to Mogambo  Email Mogambo Goto the website of Mogambo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MTKahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 4:44 pm   Permalink

Amazing photos

View Profile of MTKahuna Send a personal message to MTKahuna  Email MTKahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-05-17 1:00 pm   Permalink

My oh my... Just got the atlas out at will be pointing my browser at Air New Zealand in a few moments.

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Liz & Chris

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation