[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Nautical style in tiki bars
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Nautical style in tiki bars
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-27 10:57 pm   Permalink

Anybody have some pics of nautical flavored tiki bars? I have some pics , but am looking for some old postcards or photos.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 04:55 am   Permalink

You can't do better than the bar at the Mai Kai. There should be about 200 pics of that floating around Tiki Central.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 1:31 pm   Permalink

Over a hundred views, and nobody has anything more to contribute? C'mon kids, that's lame! Granted, nautical style does not get me all hot like a fancy Beachcomber lamp does, but in the light of the recent Poly-pop genre discussions, this question should yield some better results. Or is this board nowadays only populated by consumers waiting for the next new Tiki mug?

I know: I am guilty of being overactive recently and making it easy for folks to just sit back and watch the show, but c'mon, even if you do not have big archives like Sabu or Mimi, someone must have some pictures from the Mai Kai's Molokai bar, which is indeed a fine example of Nauti-Tiki:

and how about the Tonga Room's "Cloud" ship-deck, mast etc? That's still around.
And most Trader Vic's have those "Officer's Club" dining rooms for the stuffed shirts ...which we all avoid, at least this Tiki Snob does.

And then there were Steve Crane's Kon Tiki Ports and Ports of Call. Danny already knows these, but as a guide for what to look for, here is the Chicago Kon Tiki Ports photo (mostly "Tiki", with some "Nauti" on the right). Already to be seen on p. 104 of the BOT, I always wondered about how the moat with the ship's rigging looked from other angles:

And then of course the Dallas Ports of Call "Singapore Yacht Club" room, already posted by "Tiki Geek" (a title of distinction!) Kenike's marvelous post here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=22867&forum=2&start=0

I think I better refrain from posting for a while, for fear of intimidating potential posters into thinking that their contribution will be not up to par, which is of course wrong, because every little bit of info and imagery ads to the wonderful puzzle of Polynesian Pop and is appreciated. So please, don't hold back, give posting a try.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones

Posted: 2007-04-28 2:20 pm   Permalink

Tiki D'

I'll take you to a Nautical bar and restaurant that'll "Blow Ye Down"! Check your pm, food & grog on me in June!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 2:22 pm   Permalink

Is this the part of the Tonga Room you are referring to?

http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 4:34 pm   Permalink

& great to see your posts more, bigbro!

Here are a few from my tiki excursions that had some nautical feel - hope they are helpful....

The FABULOUS La Mariana:

Trader Vic's London:

Trader Vic's Munich:

A couple more from the Tonga Room:

& The Rendez'vous, here in Kenosha (Wisconsin) - where I am headed for the night as soon as I get these pictures uploaded
Some call it "Pirate Tiki" style - Has a nautical feel ala the Pirates, skulls, etc.... They have a big carved wood sign behind the bar that's cool that says "Will Pilage for Rum"

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 11:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:
They have a big carved wood sign behind the bar that's cool that says "Will Pilage for Rum"

It was a special request by Mike, not many people catch that sign

There is a knife stuck in it and it was made to look like the words were carved in by the knife.

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-04-29 15:54 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 11:44 pm   Permalink

Great photos.
Thanks guys!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-29 06:18 am   Permalink

Hey LakeSurfer - I figured that sign was most likely made by you, but I wasn't positive
Here it is for all to see:

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-29 06:47 am   Permalink

& Here are some recent Mai Kai shots - most from the Molokai bar - a few of the patio outside - hopefully someone else has some pictures that capture the whole room a bit better? & maybe some older shots?

Outdoor Seating area:

Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-29 10:30 am   Permalink

Sweet folks, this is the stuff I was lookin g for! Keep them coming. if you have 'em. I love all of these pics.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-29 11:32 am   Permalink

Ok in answering the call to Sven's challenge,
I present one that I don't think anyone has
seen. It is very light on the theme, but hey
it is one of those unkown places, soooo....

The Pirates Table
811 Clevaland Street
Downtown Clearwater Florida

"All you may care to eat from the famous Salad
Bar; a delightful prelude to treasures from the
Hot Buffet. Homoemade bread,too. Luncheaon
and dinner daily. Wines, spirits, & Grog in the
Golden Galleon Lounge."

I call it "Nautical Minimalist" But I wonder if
the Galleon Lounge had more eye candy than the
main eating area.

Hey Clearwater peeps, see if the building is still standing! The address shows up on Yahoo Maps as Fiores Gourmet.

Heres a Tampa link to a review.
http://tampa.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/GoodEats/Content?oid=oid%3A59524

No images though.

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener 2007-04-29 12:30 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-29 11:41 am   Permalink

Allright, I'm appeased, great work kids, thank you! Here is a cool concept that is nautical. We all know bar port hole windows that open up onto the pool (see Yankee Clipper Bar, Hukilau 2006), and we know aquariums lining the booths like at Bahooka.

But how about this Seafood restaurant in Havana that had it's street window port holes turned into aquariums

Another nice "inbetween that" concept is to put fake fish and underwater sea life between the pool glass and the viewer, as done in some Butlin's Holiday Camp lounges (above and below)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-29 11:54 am   Permalink

I just remembered a GREAT purely nautical place I visited when in Atlanta...arrgh, can't find the postcard I took, OR remember the name...Swanky, any Southerners, help!

Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-29 1:16 pm   Permalink

I came across this picture from The Galley in Santa Monica. Not Tiki at all but Life Preservers as shelves look cool to me.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation