FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Nautical style in tiki bars
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Nautical style in tiki bars
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-29 3:41 pm   Permalink

Here's some pictures I took at Harpoon Harry's in Huntington Beach in 2003:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/roadtripmay2003/harpoonharrys/

(They're kinda dark, so I won't bother posting them here individually)

And of course there's the Warehouse in Marina del Rey. I don't think I've ever taken any really good pictures of the place... it's worth going to check out yourself, anyhow.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-29 4:16 pm   Permalink

Sven -
In Atlanta, you say you visited the place?
Hmmm... perhaps The Yacht Club, in Little Five Points?
I never thought of it as "nautical tiki," but I vaguely recollect some nautical stuff. Kind of avoided the place myself.

Port of Call (Port o' Call?) in New Orleans would definitely be a hit for this thread. Very very port-ish, lotsa bamboo, and a couple of lame tikis. On the edge of The Quarter.
*Best* burgers in the city.

There's a pirate themed bar in Pirate's Alley in NOLA too (right off Jackson Square). Lots of rigging (for frigging, if you're so inclined), fishnets, etc. Can't recall the name.
A

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-29 5:29 pm   Permalink

The Mai Kai doors....

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-29 5:54 pm   Permalink

Nautical Tiki ~ Tiki Nautical

SOLD!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 07:50 am   Permalink

Just saw this, Danny and Bigbro...I'll dig through the postcard archive and get some goodies up.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 08:25 am   Permalink

Here are a couple of pix from the Castaways Inn & Suites in Manitou Springs, Colorado which is where I stay when visiting family there. It is very nautical, with some tiki.

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-03 3:34 pm   Permalink

This is the best sea food restaurant in Columbus Ohio.
No tiki but it is natical. And great food.
The Windward Passage.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-03 8:21 pm   Permalink

Hard to tell from these small photos, but this place has lots of nautical stuff. Appears to have been decorated in the early '70s and never touched.

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tornhalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-03 9:14 pm   Permalink

I'll have to snap a few shots.. but there is a seafood joint down the road from my house that was torn down and rebuilt like the top of a lighthouse.. pretty nifty. My Grandmother worked there in the 70's and 80's making the salads.

I found a table with 4 swivel barrel chairs at a local antique store.. was thinking about buying them for my basement tiki bar.. I think this thread has convinced me.

View Profile of Tornhalo Send a personal message to Tornhalo  Goto the website of Tornhalo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 08:14 am   Permalink

Then there's the Kowloon here in MA. It's the closest we have to a real Tiki joint, and there's a boat in the middle of the main dining area. I'd put up pix, but my hard drive died last week, just got a new one. All was lost. But back to the NauTiki theme. I'll put up some pix when I find them again. Nautica and Tiki go together like Rum & juices, like ice and ceramic mugs. It's an allegory to our perspective on Tiki. Our forefathers who explored those areas were nautical types; how else would they get there, and how else would the rum get there?

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 08:28 am   Permalink

I just read this. The place in Atlanta is Dante's Down the Hatch. It doesn't get much more nautical than that! A ship right in the restaurant! My idea was to make my bar like the prow of a ship and everyone sits around the outside... Flash site. Can't post images.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2007-05-04 08:31 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 09:10 am   Permalink

That place is cool but it's to new looking.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 10:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-04 09:10, RevBambooBen wrote:
That place is cool but it's to new looking.

Nothing that a blowtorch couldn't fix. Or maybe a few wild parties to age it a few years?! Yeah, that place is pretty over the top. With the lights way down low and some creaking ship and crashing wave sounds piped in along with some faux rainstorms, it could be quite cool. Might have to pay that place a visit next time I'm in town. Thanks for the tip Swanky.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 10:36 am   Permalink

It was a consideration for Hukilau 2002, but, when Trader Vic's is right there... And it is in Buckhead.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 1:31 pm   Permalink

That place is over the TOP, Swanky!

Quote:
On 2007-05-04 10:36, Swanky wrote:... And it is in Buckhead.

Aaahhh, THAT's why I never went there!!

F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation