FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Nautical style in tiki bars
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Nautical style in tiki bars
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-08 06:53 am   Permalink

Here are a couple of more shots from Castaways;

At the Helm

Pirate Booty Boat

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-11 9:20 pm   Permalink

Great topic!! Nautical and Tiki Bars go hand in hand or CAN if they are done properly. I sure love seeing the connections in all the different pictures.

I know the Tonga Room has been noted but I wanted to share this early (Late 1940's) postcard when it was done like a large ship. It is a great view from behind the bar and you can see the Tiki Hut (in center) where the band played floating to the middle of the water.

I will skip the early/mid 1960's picture of the Tonga Room (oriental style theme) and show you the following great picture after it went to the more nautical look that it has to this day.

Oh, mug collectors, check out the three face bucket mugs being used on the tables on the left hand side! It's always cool to see pictures of the mugs in use!

The next picture is of a place someone had mentioned in this post earlier. It is a nice postcard that has a drawing of The Warehouse Restaurant in Marina Del Ray, California. I believe this picture is in Book Of Tiki as well. Not Tiki per say, but a cool looking place. They did have there own Barrel mugs available.

Keep em coming!!
TabooDan

Edited to bring back the large picture format.

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2009-05-14 16:45 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-01-13 5:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-06 16:35, Mai Tai wrote:

That place is still there, and nope, it's not Yoshi's. It's now Scott's Seafood.

Nice work Mai Tai!! There is a Scott's Seafood in Costa Mesa and it's delicious. Next time I'm up there let's go. It's kinda pricey so you can treat!

Thanks in advance.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-27 7:03 pm   Permalink

Danny, this is the place on the central coast I was telling you about at the Tonga Hut.
Nice stop for a road trip in the roadster. Aloha

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-28 8:28 pm   Permalink

Now that is nice Ron! Thanks alot.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-28 8:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-27 19:03, bongofury wrote:
Danny, this is the place on the central coast I was telling you about at the Tonga Hut.

What city?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 12:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-27 19:03, bongofury wrote:

Great pictures Bongofury!!

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 2:35 pm   Permalink

Those booths! They're fantastic! Yes, where is this? WHAT is this?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-29 8:29 pm   Permalink

I don't remember the name of the place it's in the small beach town of Cayucos on the ocean side of the main street. It's small (I think there is only 8 ot 10 tables downstairs and an ocean view bar upstairs) but you can't miss it.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-02-29 9:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-29 20:29, bongofury wrote:
I don't remember the name of the place it's in the small beach town of Cayucos on the ocean side of the main street. It's small (I think there is only 8 ot 10 tables downstairs and an ocean view bar upstairs) but you can't miss it.

Schooners Wharf
171 N Ocean Ave
Cayucos, CA 93430

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-03-01 04:16 am   Permalink

Castaways, Bradford Street, Birmingham, England.

If anyone already subscribes, there is a tempting article here
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-12476794.html

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 5:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-04 08:28, Swanky wrote:
I just read this. The place in Atlanta is Dante's Down the Hatch. It doesn't get much more nautical than that! A ship right in the restaurant! My idea was to make my bar like the prow of a ship and everyone sits around the outside... Flash site. Can't post images.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2007-05-04 08:31 ]

Yeas, it IS a Flash-site, but I DO have a way of posting images, and I'll soon be posting a BUNCH!

But here's ONE just for starters...

And Bigbro's right -- they sure don't make 'em like THAT anymore! This place is themed within an inch of it's life! It's like an even more elaborate version of the French Marketplace in West Hollywood with a huge ship stuck in the middle, or Disneyland's Blue Bayou -- minus the bayou!

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 5:32 pm   Permalink

And since we're on a nautical theme here on this thread, I'll re-post a few images of Marina Del Rey's vintage (60's) and gorgeous The Warehouse...

Sven pointed out that House Of Blues clearly "stole" their design vibe from this place.

And, speaking of the Svenster , here're two of his lovely Warehouse images...

Hard to get decent pics inside 'cause it's SO bloody dark. GREAT for ambiance. NOT great for photography...

See what I mean?

Actually, it wouldn't take a whole lot to transform The Warehouse into a first class tiki palace, what with the lagoon out front complete with flaming tiki torches, and all the float-lights, etc. And it would take even less work to make it a quasi-tiki/nautical fusion place.

Heck, it already HAS a token tiki presence inside with two quasi-tiki poles. Here's one of 'em...

Frankly I'm just grateful this classic slice of 60's restaurant goodness is still there and in excellent condition. When I went there recently for the first time, my jaw dropped. Having grown up in L.A. in the 60's I thought HOW did I manage to miss THIS place? It was like stepping into a vintage restaurant time machine!

Cheers & Mahalos

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chiwito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-05-13 02:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-06 16:35, Mai Tai wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-05-08 20:37, RevBambooBen wrote:
Quote:

Here's a fine matchbook I found from a cool looking place in Oakland. One can only assume that it was nautical inside, being named after one of the finest (partially South Sea) writers and skippers there ever was:

Is that Yoshis Now?

That place is still there, and nope, it's not Yoshi's. It's now Scott's Seafood. (Yoshi's is across the street). My dad also remembers The Bow and Bell restaurant - he's not sure if it was the same building as this one or different. Evidently Joe Dimaggio was partner in one of these.

Sea Wolf was a fine slightly upscale seafood place, similar to it's successor, Scott's [but not part of a chain]. The nautical theme was not particularly predominent; it was just a nice place on the water. The name came from the fact that the district is known as Jack London Square, not from any really strong attempt to build a theme around him or his travels.

Bow and Bell was next store. We went there from time to time when I was a kid, but I don't remember it very much. If I recall correctly, it was roughly where a Caribbean place called Miss Pearl's Jam House is now; the old building is long gone and the footprints don't correlate very well. B&B was part owned by a then-prominent local athlete named Jackie Jenson; I don't think Joe D was ever involved in any business around the Square, but I could be wrong.

The Square was also the site of a rooftop restaurant named The Castaway. I don't remember it as well as I should, but it definitely has a Poly flair, with nets and fishing floats and tropical foliage and the like.

chiwito

View Profile of chiwito Send a personal message to chiwito  Email chiwito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-13 8:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-29 16:16, Formikahini wrote:

Port of Call (Port o' Call?) in New Orleans would definitely be a hit for this thread. Very very port-ish, lotsa bamboo, and a couple of lame tikis. On the edge of The Quarter.
*Best* burgers in the city.

I was there a couple of weeks ago- it was SO dark and grungy inside I really only saw some nautical rope and bamboo in the dark haze- but they did have killer rum drinks at $5 a pop! My friend raved about her burger- I ate her baked potato.

View Profile of KikiTiki Send a personal message to KikiTiki  Goto the website of KikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation