FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Nautical style in tiki bars
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Nautical style in tiki bars
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-30 10:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-21 17:13, Dustycajun wrote:
A couple more entries for the Nautical look.

DC

80 cent beer, $7 steaks! Ah the good ole days!

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-30 10:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-29 20:28, Trader Bob wrote:
Magical place
So how much Nautical is acceptable in a Tiki bar?

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Bob 2010-01-30 14:55 ]

How much ya got?
IMHO, Nautical, Hawaiian, Surf, Tiki...all connected

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-01-31 12:35 am   Permalink

Some purely Nautical establishments from 1968 that might give you some good ideas for tiki room decor:

The Nantucket Cove, Chicago

The Windjammer, Cincinnati OH

The San Salvador, in the San Diego International Airport

Castagnola's Lobster House, Santa Barbara CA

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2010-01-31 01:00 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2010-01-31 12:07 pm   Permalink

you made my jaw drop tim! those postcards are amazing!
I love this thread, thanks everyone for sharing

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2010-03-22 12:58 am   Permalink

Love the entrance to Bernstein's Fish Grotto in San Francisco:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 02:02 am   Permalink

A classic! I think there's a great menu in the Jim Heimann Menu Cover book.

I just remembered another ship's prow place that hasn't found its way here yet: Del Webb's Ocean House at the Mission Bay Inn in San Diego. Can someone post pics?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 5:21 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

Nice posts. Are those from a 1968 restaurant guide? The Castagnola's Lobster House was the first restaurant I ever went to in Santa Barbara when I came down to check the place out for college. It is now a Rusty's Pizza Parlor. The light house tower is still there, but nothing else.

Bigbro,

Here are some shots of Del Webb's Ocean House with the ship design in the front of the building from a brochure I have.

Front View

Side View

Rendering

Inside, the Galleon Room.

The Jolly Roger Lounge.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 7:16 pm   Permalink

This bar and restaurant is at the marina in Cape May, New Jersey. I don't recall the name, but it was the last bar we stopped at before heading home on the ferry and wished we had found it earlier in the day so we could have had lunch. Not tiki, but it had that great nautical vibe.

We were here in late December and it was cold, so the boat bar was empty.
Great idea though. I would like to sit at a bar like this with an icey-cold Mai Tai.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2010-03-25 19:18 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-31 2:25 pm   Permalink

Picked this up today from a local Craig's list. I can't fit it in the current edition of the Honolulu Lounge... but I'm sure I will find a use for it somewhere. 60" x 30" Liberty Ship hatch cover with brass trim and handles, coated in resin.

I was too late to grab the smaller table below, but the photo gives you a view of what the top of the longer cover I bought looks like.

KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2010-03-31 14:26 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-04 4:17 pm   Permalink

The Ship Restaurant and Tavern in Bonita Springs Florida. This great old building has seen many changes over the years. It's last incarnation was as the Landmark Bingo Hall. My sister remembers going to dinner there years back and said it was a great place. Empty now but still there and up for sale for the small price of $4.25 million. It looked allot better in its original state but has been depirated.

Image from Cardcow's site.

Today.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-05 09:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-29 20:28, Trader Bob wrote:
So how much Nautical is acceptable in a Tiki bar?

I think there's a TiPSY vs NiPSY factor that says you're either a Tiki or Nautical bar, but of course a little of either are welcome in both.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid!
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-16 07:47 am   Permalink

Words can't describe how much I love this thread.

Keeping my fins crossed to see some great old Wreck Bar adverts, postcards or pictures~

~Marina~

View Profile of Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! Send a personal message to Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid!  Goto the website of Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid!     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 10:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-04 16:17, uncle trav wrote:
The Ship Restaurant and Tavern in Bonita Springs Florida.

We ate there in 2002 when we lived in Bonita Springs. Staff was unfriendly and stuck us up front in steerage since we weren't dressed to their satisfaction. Food was OK. We didn't get to see the entire restaurant, but what I saw I liked. I wish I could find pictures of the interior.

traderscotts.com

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-11 09:31 am   Permalink

I found this mug from Moultrays Four Winds Pirate Restaurant with nice crude graphics that will soon be filled with rum

and the bottom even has a compass on it.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-11 10:28 am   Permalink

Naugatiki,

Nice mug. I saw this matchbook from Moultray's.

Interesting that they had a New Orleans influence with the Mardi Gras and New Orleans Rooms.

I always wondered if this place was related to the Moultray's Polynesian restaurant at the 1964 World's Fair in New York.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation