FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Snapshot of Don the Beachcomber Sign In Hawaii 1940s
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Snapshot of Don the Beachcomber Sign In Hawaii 1940s
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 8:12 pm   Permalink

Since I am an obssessive collector on the hunt for Disneyland photographs, I am always looking at snapshots at swap meets. This is one that was found in a bunch of other 1940s snapshots, the original Don the Beachcomber Himself sign in Hawaii. I like the tiki poles which bracket the sign. Take a look:

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 8:42 pm   Permalink

Man...great shot! Excellent archeology!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
POCKETIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-29 05:11 am   Permalink

As we say here at POCKETIKI..."KEEP LOOKING MY FRIENDS AND YOU SHALL FIND!!! Not necessarily on eBay either!". Wonderful find...the hunt goes on!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

View Profile of POCKETIKI Send a personal message to POCKETIKI  Email POCKETIKI Goto the website of POCKETIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 01:38 am   Permalink

Three vintage 8x10 photos of a Luau taken at the Don The Beachcomber in Waikiki were just sold on eBay. I managed to win one of them, but thought I'd post all three eBay photos here as a historical reference. The photographer was Billy Howell, and he looks like he was a professional. Wonder if these were slated to be publicity photos.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2008-07-18 01:40 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 03:21 am   Permalink

Keep the torch burning, Sabu. You're the best.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 08:49 am   Permalink

Tiki Central : The Early Years

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 09:23 am   Permalink

A drink in every hand, but nothign more than maybe a bamboo glass as far as I could see. When I saw them I really hoped to see some mug that could be dated by these pics.

Shirts not required!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 09:37 am   Permalink

These pictures really capture the informality and "escape from the gray flannel suit" quality that first a trip to the islands, and later a visit to a mainland Polynesian restaurant meant for mid-century men and women --(even though they did not dress up to THAT extent on their mainland forays).

Swanky, two reminders:

Don The Beachcomber = Pre-Tiki

Tiki Culture = Tiki Mugs = Mainland, not Hawaii

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 09:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-18 09:37, bigbrotiki wrote:
These pictures really capture the informality and "escape from the gray flannel suit" quality that first a trip to the islands, and later a visit to a mainland Polynesian restaurant meant for mid-century men and women --(even though they did not dress up to THAT extent on their mainland forays).

Sven - good point. I hadn't really connected the two experiences: going to a Luau in Hawaii and re-living the experience at a Poly-pop restaurant here in the States. It gives another hint why Tiki restaurants were so popular here. After having an experience like the folks in these photos are having, I can see why you'd want to re-visit that atmosphere again once you got home.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2008-07-18 09:47 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 09:57 am   Permalink

Thank you. As a point of caution though: These DO look like they are not your average Don's Luau, but professionally shot, perhaps for promotional purposes. Like Don called all his friends and said: Everybody dress in island gear and come on over for a photo shoot...

But then again, I seem to remember from invites I have seen that Aloha garb was mandatory at the Waikiki Beachcomber Luaus, so these could not have been that far off.
And anyway, just like with the material I chose for the BOT and Tiki Modern, we shall be not concerned with the REALITY and mediocre examples of Polynesian pop, but embellish and perpetuate it in its highest forms only, and THAT will become our reality --so these ARE what ALL Luaus looked like, period!

PS: Are these from the same seller that has been selling off Don the B. Waikiki photos bit by bit?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-07-18 10:02 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 12:02 pm   Permalink

Matterhorn1959 and Sabu,

Thanks for the pics, what great finds.

I've got a Don the Beachcomber brochure that has a shot of a Luau where the patrons are dressed up in Hawaiian garb as well, so it may be that this was more of the norm than just a publicity pic. Don't have time to post the brochure now, will follow up later.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 12:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-18 09:37, bigbrotiki wrote:

Swanky, two reminders:

Don The Beachcomber = Pre-Tiki

Tiki Culture = Tiki Mugs = Mainland, not Hawaii

Well, Don started here and went there later. When did the Tiki mug start? I always also assumed the Don bust mug was a Hawaii mug. The lamps on the table are the sort that are in later Tiki establishments.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 2:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-18 09:46, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
After having an experience like the folks in these photos are having, I can see why you'd want to re-visit that atmosphere again once you got home.

... which is now why, since most of us don't have a good local tiki establishment to go to, many of us bring that atmosphere into the home in the form of a home tiki bar. (My mind's on that because my back aches right now from construction of our home Palace du Tiki.)

Also notice in those photos there are no tattoos or multiple piercings! Not that there's anything wrong with that...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 2:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-18 14:19, GatorRob wrote:
Also notice in those photos there are no tattoos or multiple piercings! Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Or Ponytails.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-19 5:56 pm   Permalink

Hey... leave me and my midlife crisis alone.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation