FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Snapshot of Don the Beachcomber Sign In Hawaii 1940s
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Snapshot of Don the Beachcomber Sign In Hawaii 1940s
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 11:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-25 11:24, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..don't forget...chef shangri-la opened in the mid seventies, and that place is loaded with vintage decor..

As I note in Tiki Modern, with the LAST batch of decor Witco made before they closed! Chinese run Tiki restaurants are definitely a 70s thing, as I said they lagged behind. Also, together with the Tiki mugs, the other thing that was still offered by Chinese restaurant suppliers into the 80s was a good variety of the bamboo/resin/shell LAMPS, so in many 70s Chinese joints you have some bamboo, the mugs and the lamps, but not much Tikis and other artifacts.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-07-25 11:33 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-25 12:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-25 11:28, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-07-25 11:24, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..don't forget...chef shangri-la opened in the mid seventies, and that place is loaded with vintage decor..

As I note in Tiki Modern, with the LAST batch of decor Witco made before they closed! Chinese run Tiki restaurants are definitely a 70s thing, as I said they lagged behind. [ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-07-25 11:33 ]

Are you sure about that ?

http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/pictures.cgi?loc_id=555

http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=47

http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=55

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 12:57 pm   Permalink

Sure I'm sure. I am talking about the restaurants that Limbo Lizard mentions, the ones with mugs into the 70s and 80s. Mostly on the East Coast and in the Mid-West. And I am talking about it in GENERAL terms, about the majority. Of course there are exceptions, but exceptions don't disprove the trend.

I do not know when Wan-Q became all-out Tiki, but I doubt it was in the late 50s/early 60s. From the BOT:

The Polynesia was owned by a white restaurateur. if you want to count Chinese wait and kitchen staff, then Don The Beachcomber was a Chinese Restaurant. But it is exactly because Don's invented "Polynesian" food was largely based on the Chinese menu that years later Chinese operators were able to go into the Tiki business on their own.

The Chin-Tiki opened, strictly viewed, after the PEAK period of Tiki (1958-1964), in 1967.

The China Trader turned Tiki exceptionally early, but it probably was a Chinese restaurant first.

King Yum may have opened in 1953, but I bet you it went Polynesian much later.

To get back to my original point: The shift in Tiki joint ownership from Caucasian to Chinese being fairly late makes sense, and Chef Shangri La is a perfect example:

Only after having worked in the Poly pop business and having gained experience for a long time, 10/20 Years, Chinese managers and chefs decided they were ready to go into business for themselves. Michael Tsao, for example, was a manager for Trader Vic's before he took over the Kahiki.
Plus, the original Caucasian owners and founders of Tiki temples like the Kahiki, or Tiburon Tommy's, or many other places, had made their money, and by the 70s they had lost their spark, and wanted to retire. And maybe they even saw the waning of the trend, so they gladly passed their business on to their Chinese Managers, who with diligence and hard work kept them going. And at that point "Polynesian style" became "the thing to do" for other Chinese restaurants too.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-07-30 07:40 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-07-25 1:26 pm   Permalink

From what I found doing Phone book research it looks like the The Wan-Q went Full Blown Tiki in 1970 click and scroll.

*Edited because I can't spell Scroll.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2008-07-25 13:43 ]

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-25 1:39 pm   Permalink

Just keepin you on your toes Sven

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 3:04 pm   Permalink

also, the old manager of chicago trader vics used to work at the seven seas back in the day and ray from tiki ti started out at other tiki bars (tonga room?) before owning his own place.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-29 7:00 pm   Permalink

Great stuff everyone! Here is a shot from one of my favorite South Sea films "Hell's Half Acre". Lots of interior shots of a Polynesian bar that I believe is Don The Beachcomber's as he was "Technical Adviser" on the movie, all shot in Honolulu & Waikiki. No Tiki mug on the table.

From a group of photos I got on ebay a few years back...filslash believes it is from The Tropics...

Not sure what that square mug is...

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 7:32 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 20:43 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 8:09 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 11:57 pm   Permalink

Great screen grab, Ron!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 06:01 am   Permalink

Well, I guess that makes them both Tiki bar pics as they have tikis in them...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 07:48 am   Permalink

Right, Tim, just like these places are for all the other folks who do not care to differentiate:

http://www.tikibobsindy.com/

http://tikirichmond.com/

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 08:12 am   Permalink

We all have our black sheep.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 08:15 am   Permalink

Sorry for the derailing of this DTB photo thread, but I ran across those two Tiki statues on Ebay yesterday... http://cgi.ebay.com/Kitchy-Wood-Tiki-Polynesian-Figi-Hawaiian-Figurines_W0QQitemZ280251262811QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29460QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This is certainly not my Ebay listing, but had to chuckle when I read the description of the Tikis... "Up for auction is a pair of wooden carved tikis from Hawaii, Figi, Polynesia....I am not sure exactly where they are from. I got them from a guy who owned an antique store. The pregnant tiki is 7" and the other tiki (father/ mother & child) is also 7" high. The width of both of them is 2.5". The only thing is the one that is pregnant is missing a couple of toes but as you can see in the picture is does not detract AT ALL from the overall funkiness of these two tikis."

Wouldn't the Ebay seller love to know that the "mother & child" was actually a cannibal and it's victim!!!

Here is a picture from the Ebay auction:

Now, back to the DTB pics!!!
Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pakalolo Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-27 9:58 pm   Permalink

Found an interesting auction (not mine): "34 VINTAGE PHOTOS DON THE BEACHCOMBER - HAWAII"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180281503091&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008
Already $99 - ouch... too pricey for me, but whoever wins, please hook me up with those high-quality scans

Here's a couple of 'em...

And there's Donn himself...

As an added bonus, there's a twist about the original owner... I had to laugh at the last line of the auction description: "Superb album with historical ties to an ex-con."

[ This Message was edited by: Pakalolo Man 2008-08-28 23:55 ]

View Profile of Pakalolo Man Send a personal message to Pakalolo Man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation