FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Snapshot of Don the Beachcomber Sign In Hawaii 1940s
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Snapshot of Don the Beachcomber Sign In Hawaii 1940s
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 12:38 pm   Permalink

Here are a few more Don the Beachcomber Luau scenes I came across as I was researching the locations for my other thread.

This is a great one of Donn getting ready to party.

Some scenes of Donn at the Luau.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-30 2:52 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Is it just me, but does the annoyed guest on the forefront right look like Robert Young?

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-31 3:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-30 14:52, Phillip Roberts wrote:

Is it just me, but does the annoyed guest on the forefront right look like Robert Young?

I think it's just you.

To me he looks more like Brad Dexter...

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Slob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-31 5:08 pm   Permalink

That is way cool. Nothing like self promotion, huh? I was there this past October in Kona. Here is what the sign looks like now.
Slob...

View Profile of Tiki Slob Send a personal message to Tiki Slob  Email Tiki Slob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-03 7:01 pm   Permalink

http://tikiroom.com/img/388x488056dd.jpg

Is that Dr Z licking his finger??

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-30 09:17 am   Permalink

wow great pix!! never get tired of looking at these photos!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-05 07:52 am   Permalink

This is fascinating stuff. I'm curious when Don Beach first started using ceramic mugs. Was it his coconut mug? When did he start? Would that be considered the first precursor to what we now know as a tiki mug (non-tiki in form, but sharing other aspects including material, theme, and purpose)?

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-05 09:24 am   Permalink

I think Trader Vic used ceramic drinking vessels before Donn Beach. None of the early Donn beach menus I've seen depict ceramic. Trader Vic patented his original skull mug in 1939.

I've also been wondering who devised the first communal tropical/tiki drink. once again I think it was Trader Vic. Many are photographed in the 1944 Life Magazine article, search books.google.com for Victor Bergeron or Trader Vic. Certainly the first famous one is his Scorpion Bowl. When did a Don the Beachcomber menu include a communal drink?

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation