FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Vic's Bev Hills closing THIS TUESDAY???!!! . . .
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Bev Hills closing THIS TUESDAY???!!! . . .
Uggamug
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-03 10:48 pm   Permalink

Ya lost me, Sparky. Are you saying that (for instance) the Buhens would continue running Tiki Ti even if they went broke doing it? I mean, I suppose it's possible, but...

View Profile of Uggamug Send a personal message to Uggamug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 9:12 pm   Permalink

Let's be very clear about the "business volume" aspect regarding Trader Vic's Beverly Hills. The place was doing great business. Period. I can personally attest to this fact. Great crowds. Full tables. Filled-in bar. Even the Marco Polo Room was seeing the activity of special occasions, and handling the overflow from impromtu gatherings.

Whatever arguements anyone wants to leverage (fairly) in favor of the Demolitionists, in this case, poor patronage was, for the record, absolutely not one of them.

And yes, KTV, since we certainly want the brothers and sisters to be working, the Staff will indeed (according to all recent sources) be crafting the drinks poolside. No word on the Flaming Beef Cho-Cho's yet.

and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ This Message was edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-05-04 21:14 ]

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uggamug
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-06 6:05 pm   Permalink

Cool... I'm sure glad you clarified that for me! I was afraid that Tiki-oriented businesses were subject to the same economic constraints as other business enterprises; now I know better. Thanks for the update!

View Profile of Uggamug Send a personal message to Uggamug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 6:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-04 21:12, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:

No word on the Flaming Beef Cho-Cho's yet.

I saw it on the menu. The entire pu-pu menu is the same, although the dinner menu is now Circa 55.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2007-05-07 00:02 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-09 11:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-04 21:12, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
Let's be very clear about the "business volume" aspect regarding Trader Vic's Beverly Hills. The place was doing great business. Period. I can personally attest to this fact. Great crowds. Full tables. Filled-in bar. Even the Marco Polo Room was seeing the activity of special occasions, and handling the overflow from impromtu gatherings.

Whatever arguements anyone wants to leverage (fairly) in favor of the Demolitionists, in this case, poor patronage was, for the record, absolutely not one of them.

True. As bad as the food was, I was always amazed at the amount of dinner patronage. From old-school Beverly Hills blue hairs to young agents drinking after a long day at CAA, the place was always busy, any given day of the week. At their prices, they had to be making money, hands down. That's why I believed them when I produced my LA times article on their demolition and they told me "five years from now." Seems like everybody was towing the line.

If there is a positive to come of this, it means all of us LA residents who are pool-less can get a decent cocktail poolside in an upscale atmosphere. Most weekend hotel pool scenes, save for The Beverly Hills Hotel (which you must be a guest or have 1000 bucks at the ready to "buy" a cabana), consist of horribly grotesque sub-human life forms that consider the Hard Rock Pool in vegas to be the center of the universe.

View Profile of Registered Astronaut Send a personal message to Registered Astronaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-09 12:01 pm   Permalink

P.S.
Where were the Weinstein's during all of this? Does anybody know? Miramax and then of course, The Weinstein Co., always threw their big Golden Globe parties at the Trader's place. Those guys still have a lot of muscle around town...no use now I guess.

View Profile of Registered Astronaut Send a personal message to Registered Astronaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-09 12:22 pm   Permalink

And they raised the drink prices.

http://www.beverlyhilton.com/pdf/Trader_Vics_New_Cocktail_Menu_41607.pdf

Uggamug
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-09 8:22 pm   Permalink

I was only able to get to Trader Vic's Beverly Hills once before it closed down, but I must have timed it poorly. I went in 2006, and when I went in (at about 6:00 pm on a weeknight) the place was like a tomb, and my son and I were the only patrons. When we left after our meal about an hour later it was maybe 25% occupied. Still, the place was awesome and the Mai Tai's were wonderful, and I am bummed that it is gone.

MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-19 1:02 pm   Permalink

The Beverly Hilton replaced Trader Vic's with a lounge (bar210) and nightclub (plush) that are opening this weekend.

You can see what the space looks like now here:

http://la.eater.com/archives/2010/02/16/marcel_vignerons_new_stomping_ground_bar210_and_plush.php?o=1

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-19 1:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-19 13:02, MauiRose wrote:
The Beverly Hilton replaced Trader Vic's with a lounge (bar210) and nightclub (plush) that are opening this weekend.

You can see what the space looks like now here:

http://la.eater.com/archives/2010/02/16/marcel_vignerons_new_stomping_ground_bar210_and_plush.php?o=1

Thanks for the good news

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
icebaer69
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-19 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

The Beverly Hilton replaced Trader Vic's
with a lounge (bar210) and
nightclub (plush) that are opening this weekend.

what a bunch of fucking douchebags !
i can´t believe they destroyed history for that kind of bullshit .
that crap looks like 356458 other "ultralounges"
and probably has the lifespan of a flash in the pan.

[ This Message was edited by: icebaer69 2010-02-19 13:34 ]

View Profile of icebaer69 Send a personal message to icebaer69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-19 1:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-19 13:33, icebaer69 wrote:
Quote:

The Beverly Hilton replaced Trader Vic's
with a lounge (bar210) and
nightclub (plush) that are opening this weekend.

[ This Message was edited by: icebaer69 2010-02-19 13:34 ]

ha!

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-19 2:32 pm   Permalink

So I guess a "field trip" is out of the question?

[ This Message was edited by: Murph 2010-02-19 14:33 ]

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-19 2:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-19 13:33, icebaer69 wrote:

While I have noted and appreciated the self-editing that has kept this site for the most part potty-mouth free...

Here! Here!
My sentiments exactly! icebaer69, you took the words right outta my mouth!

And no, Murph, no field trip.

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-19 7:39 pm   Permalink

This is truly killing me. Ahhh... Come to think about it I think I will kill myself right now. All the nice memories of the old days at Trader Vic's are just memories..........

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation