FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ Trader Vic's Bev Hills closing THIS TUESDAY???!!! . . .
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Bev Hills closing THIS TUESDAY???!!! . . .
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 5:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-01 13:59, Kenike wrote:
I'm guessing anything reusable will go into storage somewhere awaiting a new place to re-emerge. There are several items in Dallas that came from Chicago and part of the bar came from Japan.

On a purely selfish note (sorry Californians), it would be kinda sweet if the new Chicago TVs had some of the (few) best artifacts from Bev Hills...

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 6:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-01 16:09, PremEx wrote:
"Relocated" my ass. What a PR hack job.

Well put.

I've never been to BH, but I can smell BS from 1500 miles away. Quite evident in this part of the press release:

"Just like our entire renovation of The Beverly Hilton, we have tried to honor the things that people love about the hotelís past while bringing The Beverly Hilton into the 21st Century."

My condolences.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 6:47 pm   Permalink

The matter will be discussed tomorrow, Wednesday, by one of our number on KPCC Airtalk
at 10:30 a.m. on 89.3 FM.
http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk/index.shtml

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 7:14 pm   Permalink

Well....I have just finished burning through all of the posts and am quite shocked that this all took place so quickly. I really believe that BEVERLY HILLS might just as well leave a large hole in the ground because whatever takes Trader Vic's place in the sun isn't going to be worth much more than that...Sure am glad I got to visit the shrine last November. SON OF KELBO, looks like we're making the first toast of the first round to TVBH and a great but short rallying cry. Still heading out in November.

If the Ohana need a "TV's Vintage Fix" make a trip to Atlanta and we'll make if weekend of it. The drinks are the best Hot-lanta has to offer.

I'm truly sorry about the turn of events out there...my heart is heavy over the apparent loss.

Swamp

View Profile of Swamp Tiki Send a personal message to Swamp Tiki  Email Swamp Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 07:41 am   Permalink

Was Trader Vics prematurely closed to remove preservationists efforts - like what Mahony did to St. Vibaiana's to clear the way for the Raj Mahal?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 09:24 am   Permalink

I think they realized how pissed everyone was. They went from saying Trader Vic's had had its day a few months ago to this. Notice the release date.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: APRIL 30, 2007
Media Contact:
Marie Garvey, Garvey Communications
310-689-7490
mtg@garveycommunications.com

THE BEVERLY HILTON TRADER VICíS TO RELOCATE

Restaurant Moves Poolside as the Final Stage of Hotel Renovation

BEVERLY HILLS, CA Ė Trader Vicís Restaurant Group and Oasis West Realty, LLC, owner of The Beverly Hilton, announced today the relocation of Trader Vicís to The Beverly Hilton pool area as the new Trader Vicís Lounge, which will open on May 3, 2007. The updated Polynesian themed indoor/outdoor Trader Vicís finalizes the comprehensive renovation of the 570-room hotel located on the corner of Wilshire and Santa Monica Boulevards in Beverly Hills, California.

ďThis begins a new chapter for Trader Vicís and The Beverly Hilton,Ē said Beny Alagem, of Oasis West Realty. ďLike our entire renovation, we have taken steps to honor what people love about the hotelís exciting past while bringing The Beverly Hilton into 21st Century. We believe that guests and residents will love Trader Vicís new location with memorable features from the original restaurant in a new poolside island-inspired atmosphere.Ē

The new Trader Vicís Lounge will be located next to the new Circa 55 restaurant and the Aqua Star pool area. The menu will feature Trader Vicís signature drinks including the world-famous Mai Tai, invented by Victor ďTrader VicĒ Bergeron, the Scorpion Bowl and appetizer plates that are ideal for sharing with friends.

ďWe are pleased that the popularity of Trader Vicís continues to grow around the globe, Ē said Robert Davies, President and CEO of Trader Vicís. ďOur loyal patrons and hotel guests can be assured that while the atmosphere may be more casual, our new Beverly Hills offering will continue to reflect the finest of our companyís island-style service and culinary quality.Ē
The Trader Vicís Lounge will open at the pool area on May 3, 2007 and the existing restaurant will close on April 30, 2007. Signature interior elements from the existing Trader Vicís restaurant will be relocated to the new Trader Vicís Lounge.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-05-02 09:27 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 09:47 am   Permalink

Haha, thats the same date thats on the press release that I recieved and posted here!!! What a bunch of sugar coating bastards! They didn't have a release stating the last day at Trader Vic's, In fact I was there on April 30th with my camera, and they were NOT open! Lying pieces of poop! Sunday April 29th was the last time their doors were open to the public! They have a PR nightmare on their hands!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 09:52 am   Permalink

This was posted on Lotta Living a few months back.

Quote in the latest LA Business Journal from Rose Norton, "former Beverly Hills planning commissioner and a veteran community activist"

"...There's one aspect of the project that Norton said likely won't be contested: The loss of Trader Vic's. 'I get the sense that people think Trader Vic's has had it's day,' she said. 'It's really slipped. Nobody will miss it"

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo to remove the words that I originally wrote,you can guess what they were!)

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-05-02 09:56 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 09:55 am   Permalink

Slick! That last press release, in the view of the general populace, essentially puts "complainers" like us into the Tiki nerd and Tiki snob ghetto. This is a new form of Tiki devolution: Not a straight tear down, but a "renewal", aaaaah! Devolution nevertheless.

The swift move to close without notice has already been practiced by developers, like in the case of the Polynesian Village Apartments in Marina Del Rey. In T.V's case, it came in combination with "talking to the community", to lull people into believing they had a say, but really to avoid any serious, annoying activism.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-05-02 09:58 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-02 09:57 am   Permalink

So, now it's a "Diet" Trader Vics ? Better than none at all I s'pose....

That being said, my last trip to TV's was an unpleasant one...the service sucked (we were there for dinner) and the whole "I'm in Beverly Hills amongst the rich and famous" vibe of the place was a TOTAL turnoff. Of course I loved the place itself , but due to it's geographical situation, it wasn't really very fun.

I'll take the new Don The Beachcomber in the Royal Kona Hotel in Kona, HI any day.

The food is better too.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 10:43 am   Permalink

That's the Pure Truth, TS! What an unctious, backpeddling, last-minute PR turnabout, now that they've already chopped the place up on the QT, to stave-off the righteous ire from those who were mounting the effort to save the joint. Masterfully chickens**t, craven in its slap-dash promotional spin (like this is what they've been planning all along, folks!), obviously blurted out in rattled response to the "Save TV's BH" outcry no doubt coming at them from all quarters now.

This is a phoney spin to run up against the preservation convention coming to Hollywood this month, so "the Great Preservationists" BA & Oasis can craft a hasty yap about how dearly they regard the Trader Vic's legacy in their stewardship. M*****F*****s chopped her, were first going to all but dump the franchise and offer "a few drinks and menu items" inside C55 -- and are now falling over themselves trying to look like this sudden "relocation" announcement springs from their abiding regard for TV's place in history.

I say we hold a "Beverly Hills Tea Party", and throw all their rum into the swimming pool! No, wait..., let me think that one through again...

Well, let's see what their "relocation" plans really are, and maybe we can hold their feet to the fire -- put enough light on finding out "exactly what kind of 'relocation'" is underway for Trader Vics BH poolside at the Hilton, who's in charge, what their plans are, what kind of attention to tradition and quality they're willing to go on record to say they're pursuing. Who has input? Are the patrons and historians shut out? Make 'em eat their big-hearted "post-demolition turnaround", in big high-profile spoonfuls.

First, let's find out who's "Officially In Charge" of overseeing the content and aesthetics of the full-on "relocation" touted in this new, "new" press release's wonderful news. Then, let's let 'em know the 'Ohana are ready to offer any knowledgable guidance that may be required to avoid the creation of a "McVic's", in place of what we've lost.

And whatever, wherever, I'm calling for a six-month Memorial Toast (say Saturday Night, November 3rd?) to the memory of "the old Trader Vic's", possibly in the new one, if it's done right and not botched-up, or at some other location (Tonga Hut?, Bahooka's? Johnny & Libby's Palapa?) so those of us who were tentatively planning to meet there this Fall will still have a charge in her honor. (And maybe set some food on fire...) Oh, yeah, and Benny's definitely not invited (unless he personally makes g**damned sure the "relocation" of Trader Vics within the Hilton is Respectful, Meticulous, Generously Funded, and a Quality Job Of The First Order). Grrrrrrr.

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ This Message was edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-05-02 10:48 ]

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-02 11:23 am   Permalink

B.S. or not? We'll all know more soon enough when the poolside TV's is due to open. Mahalo to the Cali Ohana for keeping the rest of us in the loop on this.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-02 10:43, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
And whatever, wherever, I'm calling for a six-month Memorial Toast (say Saturday Night, November 3rd?) to the memory of "the old Trader Vic's...

Good idea.

Even though I'm sure there are already many "Memorial Toasts" going on as I write.

And I'm pretty sure that at least 2 dozen TC'ers will be joining in on a sad toast to the memory of the dear departed Trader Vic's 90210...this Saturday (May 5) in Texas at the just restored Trader Vic's Dallas gathering:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=23321&forum=4

I know I will be.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 12:03 pm   Permalink

Im all for a 6 month toast as well, but NOT at the new TV...For me, it's the fact that the actual building that housed Trader Vic's has the History since 1955...Not some last minute moving attitude "Lets put a nautical float here" type setup...MY support for Trader Vic's in general is deceased. I was all about the mid century design, and the fact that Sinatra might have sat in the same chair that I did. Its the ambience, and the history for me. It's not about the pupu platter(which is great) served in another makeshift TV, but it was the pupu platter being served in the original location where it started. Maybe its psychological for me, But removing Trader Vic's 1955 to be replaced by a Trader Vic's lounge(-history -full menu -decor) and it is now become Generic Vic's 2.0...Tiki Ti is the pitstop for me from now on...And if I want polynesian food, Bahooka will do fine by me...Until something else comes along?

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-02 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-02 12:03, Tom Slick wrote:
Im all for a 6 month toast as well, but NOT at the new TV...For me, it's the fact that the actual building that housed Trader Vic's has the History since 1955...Not some last minute moving attitude "Lets put a nautical float here" type setup...MY support for Trader Vic's in general is deceased. I was all about the mid century design, and the fact that Sinatra might have sat in the same chair that I did. Its the ambience, and the history for me. It's not about the pupu platter(which is great) served in another makeshift TV, but it was the pupu platter being served in the original location where it started. Maybe its psychological for me, But removing Trader Vic's 1955 to be replaced by a Trader Vic's lounge(-history -full menu -decor) and it is now become Generic Vic's 2.0...Tiki Ti is the pitstop for me from now on...And if I want polynesian food, Bahooka will do fine by me...Until something else comes along?

Agreed, but I'd hardly call Bahooka "Polynesian food".

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation