FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Shrunken Skull
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Shrunken Skull
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-17 8:02 pm   Permalink

The report from the field is that the Mai Kai puts a special 151 in the Skulls. We got a tour of the back bar, where all the serious mixing happens, and it is a veritable museum of rum back there! There are rums from the 40's on in there, lots of very special stuff like pre-Castro Bacardi, Partagas, old Lemon Hart, all kinds of stuff. We got on that tour, which included the entire kitchen, including the Mongolian oven, and the service bar, due to the fortuitous coincidence of our being there at the same time as Beach Bum Berry and Ron Licudine. Ron is the son of Mariano Licudine, the first #1 bartender of the Mai Kai, who was there for many many years. Ron had not been in the back part of the restaurant for a good many years, and it brought back lots and lots of memories. All in all, in combination with Beach Bum Berry's seminar, a most amazing experience.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-17 9:39 pm   Permalink

It was good to have a test run at the Mai Kai.

Perhaps a little more research is in order.

[ This Message was edited by: pablus 2007-06-18 04:10 ]

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-19 11:47 am   Permalink

Can't wait to get back to the home laboratory and examine the data, extrapolate, analyze, reverse engineer, and all that. Lots of work still to do! But a lot was learned from Kern at the Mai Kai, and Ron Licudine, and of course, Beach Bum Berry.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-19 12:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-17 20:02, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
The report from the field is that the Mai Kai puts a special 151 in the Skulls. We got a tour of the back bar, where all the serious mixing happens, and it is a veritable museum of rum back there! There are rums from the 40's on in there, lots of very special stuff like pre-Castro Bacardi, Partagas, old Lemon Hart, all kinds of stuff. We got on that tour, which included the entire kitchen, including the Mongolian oven, and the service bar, due to the fortuitous coincidence of our being there at the same time as Beach Bum Berry and Ron Licudine. Ron is the son of Mariano Licudine, the first #1 bartender of the Mai Kai, who was there for many many years. Ron had not been in the back part of the restaurant for a good many years, and it brought back lots and lots of memories. All in all, in combination with Beach Bum Berry's seminar, a most amazing experience.

Okay, now I have to say that I am entirely jealous! Wow. What an experience to be granted a tour of the secret back bar! How exciting.

--Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-19 2:15 pm   Permalink

OK, let's see if I've got this straight: The Mai Kai's "Skull" (or do they actually call it a "Shrunken Skull?) consists of Gold Rum, Demerara Rum, Licor 43, grenadine, lime juice, a cinnamon stick AND 151 Rum? Or does the 151 replace one of the other rums?

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-20 07:56 am   Permalink

I don't think they put any 43 in there after all. It's just two rums, grenadine, lime, and the cinnamon stick.

jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-20 08:17 am   Permalink

Well then....no Licor 43?!! What other rum would have such a spicy overtone? and a 151 at that? Anyhow, the addition of 43 makes a tasty drink. A new drink name perhaps?

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-28 1:31 pm   Permalink

Using Appleton Special in place of the Puerto Rican Gold along with El Dorado 12-year-old demerara,cutting back the grenadine to only .5 oz and adding .5 oz of Licor 43 fresh lime AND the cinnamon stick .. . still a pretty (almost overly) sweet drink. And the cinnamon stick? Adds absolutely nothing in the way of flavor to the drink as far as I could tell! I Made it with and without - no difference.
I'm going to try it next omitting the grenadine all together and going with just the Licor 43 and the rest of it. But then again . . . it won't be a Shrunken Skull then, would it?

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 2:26 pm   Permalink

Mr. Hangman:
What type of grenadine are you using? I made my own so it isn't just red sugar syrup. Licor 43 is pretty darn sweet. Try using a wispy tablespoon full. I found that most of my measurement devices are off and I often resort to Tbsp/tsp. Since we are venturing of course now from the original recipe, do what tastes good. Oh...the cinnamon. If it's real cinnamon, you won't really taste it. If it's cassia, you should (there's a thread in here somewhere). Too much Licor 43 will cover the cinn. stick, too. I usually get the flavor towards the end of the drink as it has had time to soak (and I've had time to soak). Hope this helps.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-29 06:11 am   Permalink

For grenadine, I use Monin's and the cinnamon is Baida's "Cinnamon Sticks" and are about 5" long. And you're correct . . . you only get a 'hint' of the cinnamon at the very end of the drink.
I'm going to try your suggestion and use a scant TBS of the 43 and I think I may do the same with the grenadine . . that just may be the right balance.

GENT

The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-22 9:01 pm   Permalink

I finally found some Bacardi Select, which is reputed to have a similar smokey, chewey flavor to Lemon Hart. Having made some with Gosling's Black, at a party at Mr. Ho's over the 4th, this is definately superior. As referenced in the Lemon Hart Crisis thread, the aforementioned rum is difficult to come by, and I have even found this one, the Bacardi Superior, to be elusive. Worth the wait though!

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-07 12:17 am   Permalink

Here's my version put together last night and it was good:
1oz Demerara Rum
1oz Golden Rum
1/2oz Goslings 151 Rum
1/4oz Grenadine
1/4oz Velvet Falernum
1/4oz Liqor 43
1oz Fresh Lime Juice

Try it, you'll like.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-13 05:20 am   Permalink

I think I'll call it the Shrunken man

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Calypso

Posted: 2010-12-06 4:59 pm   Permalink

My wife and I were at the Mai Kai over the Thanksgiving holiday. We ordered quite a few shrunken skulls. The waitress poured an additional clear shot into each one tableside. I am assuming it is some type of overproof rum.

View Profile of Calypso Send a personal message to Calypso      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-10 11:51 pm   Permalink

After much research, we have put our heads together rendered our opinion on the Shrunken Skull as part of our Mai-Kai Cocktail guide.

We discovered several key elements:
* Cinnamon syrup. The Mai-Kai's version definitely features a healthy dose.
* A very strong pomegranate grenadine is a must. This is the dominant flavor and needs to shine through.
* The rums appear to be a nice premium gold and a 151 floater. We suspect The Mai-Kai uses Bacardi, believe it or not, but that's open to debate.

Click below for our recipe. Our blog report also includes a detailed history of the custom mug used by The Mai-Kai. Check it out here:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/10/mai-kai-cocktail-review-drink-like-a-native-with-the-shrunken-skull/

Follow our progress as we take on one classic drink per week through next June and post photos, history and recipes.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation