FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Motel in Tucson
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 ) Remove Highlighting
Tiki Motel in Tucson
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Apr 03, 2002
Posts: 3171
From: Las Vegas, NV
Posted: 2004-11-09 7:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-09 19:11, christiki295 wrote:
Has anyone actually stayed in one of these mid-Century marvels?

Or would you?

I'd like to before they are all gone, although one the other hand, maybe a photo safari would suffice.


Mr Smiley sure gets around!!! Yes, He has stayed at the Tiki Motel. The owner was very happy to show all the interior renovations he was doing. Not to my taste his style of interior decorating, though. The place is Tiki in sign and name only-no Tikis hidden elsewhere, I don't even know if it had a plam tree on the grounds! For variety, I would probably stay at the No-Tel Motel a block away next time.
_________________
I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!
TRADER VIC'S, Vintage, Vegas & more on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!


 
View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitucson
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Mar 25, 2002
Posts: 43
From: Tucson, AZ
Posted: 2004-11-10 09:12 am   Permalink

Hey tikijackalope- You'll be glad to know that the Tiki Motel sign has been repainted and it looks fantastic! Good as new, really, and all of the neon was in working order last time I drove by at night.

 
View Profile of tikitucson Send a personal message to tikitucson      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Apr 03, 2002
Posts: 3171
From: Las Vegas, NV
Posted: 2004-11-10 10:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-10 09:12, tikitucson wrote:
Hey tikijackalope- You'll be glad to know that the Tiki Motel sign has been repainted and it looks fantastic! Good as new, really, and all of the neon was in working order last time I drove by at night.



ZAZZ!!
_________________
I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!
TRADER VIC'S, Vintage, Vegas & more on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!


 
View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Posts: 3813
From: LA-2547 mls east Hawaii &5500 Easter Is
Posted: 2004-11-10 1:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2003-10-31 13:53, Unga Bunga wrote:
I just did something crazy, and called the Tiki Motel, to see if they have a website or shirts for sale. This was the conversation:
(7 rings)Hello?
Unga-Is this the Tiki Motel?
Lady-Yes it is, what do you want?
Unga- Do you have a website?
Lady-What's that?
Unga- That's OK, never mind. Do you sell t-shirts?
Lady -Just in our lost and found. What did it look like?
Unga - Uh, sorry to bother you. Goodbye




I called myself last night and was unequivocally told that it there was nothing tiki about the Tiki Motel, it was just a motel.


 
View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Joined: Apr 02, 2002
Posts: 1076
From: SF bay area, CA
Posted: 2004-11-10 2:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I called myself last night and was unequivocally told that it there was nothing tiki about the Tiki Motel, it was just a motel.



Hmm, that's funny; everytime I try calling myself, my line is busy.

(sorry)

-Randy


 
View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Oct 23, 2003
Posts: 820
From: KS/MO
Posted: 2004-11-11 12:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks Tikitucson; its great to hear that the Tiki Motel sign has been painted.

Mrsmiley, let us know what the No-Tel is like if you stay there. Last time I stopped in, the owner was glad, (though perplexed) to give me a matchbook. I wonder how many of their clientel have been undone by a forgotten matchbook when the wife does the laundry. I love the colors in the sign; if adult places shared a flag, it'd be red and yellow.


Sound? Boom-a-chuka-chow-chow, boom-a-chuka-chow-chow.


christiki295 wrote:

Quote:
Has anyone actually stayed in one of these mid-Century marvels?

Or would you?

I'd like to before they are all gone, although one the other hand, maybe a photo safari would suffice.



I might stay in such a place as the No-Tel or the Tiki (IF I saw a room and it was clean - more or less), especially as I hate banal corporate motels. I would be careful though as that area has a lot of obvious drug dealing. I think I'm about two years past my "I'll stay anywhere that has a cool sign" period.

One of my sadder street people encounters happened when I was shooting in that neighborhood. A woman yelled at me to put away my camera as she approached (as is usual in such cases, I wasn't even shooting in her direction). She declared that she was carrying a letter from the Governor stating that nobody could shoot her picture. She walked past without stopping, and her eye contact shifted to a point beyond me though it was clearly me she was still yelling at. She passed on by, ranting at the now imaginary me in front of her and waving her letter, which looked suspiciously like a Wendys wrapper. I guess I joined the cast of people that live in her head.

If you can handle such encounters, the Miracle Mile/Oracle/Drachman/Stone zig-zag is a rewarding photo safari with over a dozen mid-century motels. Here's an example:


The clock is ticking on such places. When I was there last year, The Hacienda on Ocacle took down part of it's sign just as I was shooting it in order to come into compliance with a chain of extended stay places they had joined. The next day, instead of "Hacienda" it had a plastic banner for something like "USA Extended Stay."


[ This Message was edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-11-12 14:23 ]


 
View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Apr 03, 2002
Posts: 3171
From: Las Vegas, NV
Posted: 2004-11-11 12:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-11-11 12:27, tikijackalope wrote

One of my sadder street people encounters happened when I was shooting in that neighborhood. A woman yelled at me to put away my camera as she approached (as is usual in such cases, I wasn't even shooting in her direction). She declared that she was carrying a letter from the Governor stating that nobody could shoot her picture. She walked past without stopping, and her eye contact shifted to a point beyond me though it was clearly me she was still yelling at. She passed on by, ranting at the now imaginary me in front of her and waving her letter, which looked suspiciously like a Wendys wrapper. I guess I joined the cast of people that live in her head.




Sorry, that was me!!! I was off my meds that day. Love , Mrs. Miley.
_________________
I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!
TRADER VIC'S, Vintage, Vegas & more on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!


 
View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Posts: 3813
From: LA-2547 mls east Hawaii &5500 Easter Is
Posted: 2004-11-11 8:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-11-11 12:27, tikijackalope wrote:

The clock is ticking on such places. When I was there last year, The Hacienda on Ocacle took down part of it's sign just as I was shooting it in order to come into compliance with a chain of extended stay places they had joined. The next day, instead of "Hacienda" it had a plastic banner for something like "USA Extended Stay."




Mahalo for the update. I understand, unfortunately - The Hanalei on Hotel Circle in San Diego, numerous mid-century marvels in Anaheim, all have suffered a similar fate.


 
View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Apr 03, 2002
Posts: 3171
From: Las Vegas, NV
Posted: 2004-11-12 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-11 20:11, christiki295 wrote:
Quote:

[i]On 2004-11-11 12:27, tikijackalope wrote:

The clock is ticking on such places. When I was there last year, The Hacienda on Ocacle took down part of it's sign just as I was shooting it in order to come into compliance with a chain of extended stay places they had joined. The next day, instead of "Hacienda" it had a plastic banner for something like "USA Extended Stay."




Mahalo for the update. I understand, unfortunately - The Hanalei on Hotel Circle in San Diego, numerous mid-century marvels in Anaheim, all have suffered a similar fate.


It is really short-sighted and downright stupid to think that replacing a stylish neon sign with a bland flat plastic one is somehow an improvement! I believe Lady Bird Johnson somewhat started that fallacy with her "Highway Beautification Act" of the sixties which called for the removal of many old signs on the old highways. But I think she was going more for the clutter aspect as opposided to the neon=sleazy train of thought.
Ok everyone, yell this out loud with me, "neon is not sleazy, it is beautiful!"

How could anything think that a rectangular sign with block letters saying "Hacienda Motel" (or something like that) is an improvement over a stylish one of a cowboy riding a bucking bronco? (for example).
Cities are going to one day regret their wanting to remove neon signs, because in my opinion the cheap plastice ones add more to urban blight than the old neon ones.
Rant done for now. Always trust Mr Smiley!!
_________________
I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!
TRADER VIC'S, Vintage, Vegas & more on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!


 
View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitucson
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Mar 25, 2002
Posts: 43
From: Tucson, AZ
Posted: 2004-11-12 3:55 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-11-12 15:26, mrsmiley wrote:
Quote:


How could anything think that a rectangular sign with block letters saying "Hacienda Motel" (or something like that) is an improvement over a stylish one of a cowboy riding a bucking bronco? (for example).



It's not AS bad as it sounds. Yes, they did screw up the sign a bit but the bucking bronco is still there- they just covered over the "Hacienda."

Interestingly, the sign that's up now is at least the second version of the Hacienda sign. I have a postcard from the early 60's that shows the sign and "Hacienda" is written in a rather stylish, slightly cursive script.

[ This Message was edited by: tikitucson on 2004-11-12 15:58 ]


 
View Profile of tikitucson Send a personal message to tikitucson      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Apr 03, 2002
Posts: 3171
From: Las Vegas, NV
Posted: 2004-11-12 4:09 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-11-12 15:55, tikitucson wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-11-12 15:26, mrsmiley wrote:
Quote:


How could anything think that a rectangular sign with block letters saying "Hacienda Motel" (or something like that) is an improvement over a stylish one of a cowboy riding a bucking bronco? (for example).



It's not AS bad as it sounds. Yes, they did screw up the sign a bit but the bucking bronco is still there- they just covered over the "Hacienda."

Interestingly, the sign that's up now is at least the second version of the Hacienda sign. I have a postcard from the early 60's that shows the sign and "Hacienda" is written in a rather stylish, slightly cursive script.

[ This Message was edited by: tikitucson on 2004-11-12 15:58 ]


thanks for the info--I was just using this case as a generic example-I have never seen the current plastic sign. It was a rhetorical example, if you will.
_________________
I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!
TRADER VIC'S, Vintage, Vegas & more on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!


 
View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 27, 2005
Posts: 1776
From: Kalamazoo
Posted: 2009-04-21 10:51 am   Permalink

Not taken by me but thought they should be added to the site. A couple shots of the sign at night, The first one is a great shot by Leaky_Tiki's and the second from Architheque.






_________________
"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann


 
View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 28, 2008
Posts: 484
From: Tucson
Posted: 2009-04-21 11:22 am   Permalink

As a resident of Tucson since 1953, (I was 3 when we moved here from NY), we used to stay at the Tiki or a few other places on Miracle Mile (Oracle RD.) after rock concerts either here or in Phoenix. It was basically a good place to crash we we were to stoned to go home and face the inquisition of our parents. There is an artist here who makes 3" to 5" great "refridgerator" (sp) magnets of perfect replicas of all the old Tucson haunts like the Tiki, Vinces italian restaurant, the Thunderbird motel etc etc. I will post a pic tomorrow of the Tiki Motel magnet I bought last month. The No-tel Motel is still open I think but alot of the other old cool ones bit the dust long ago.
check out this:
http://www.pbase.com/bearpaw/tucson_at_night


[ This Message was edited by: drgoat456 2009-04-21 11:31 ]


 View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Posts: 3813
From: LA-2547 mls east Hawaii &5500 Easter Is
Posted: 2009-04-21 6:01 pm   Permalink

Amazing signage. When there for a TC night at the Kon Tiki a few years ago, I loved seeing the Tiki Motel and the Tucson Inn signage!

The clerk at the Tiki Motel was even kind enough to turn on the sign even though it was not yet dark.


 
View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation