FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Vintage Jade Tiles
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Vintage Jade Tiles
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-10 11:21 am   Permalink

Mrs Hoptiki here,

If anyone is interested, there is a vintage shop in Burbank that has a large amount of these jade tiles. They definitely look vintage and in very good condition. The color is a very pretty dark blue/green. The owner of the shop says she believes they came from a restaurant in Hollywood and mentioned they were near a Coy pond. I did some research to possibly identify the restaurant but couldn’t come up with anything.

The shop:
Best Of Times
3401 West Magnolia Blvd
Burbank, CA 91505
(818)-848-5851
Owner Laree Adel

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-10 11:37 am   Permalink

I must agree, Jade does have some vintage tiles.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-10 6:00 pm   Permalink

I thought you'd like 'em.

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-10 6:20 pm   Permalink

...which brings up the question again: How come these tiles were such a staple of Tiki lounge decor !?
Were they introduced by Don The Beachcomber when he polynesian-ized Chinese cuisine, as a left over of that, or were they part of Trader Vic's "Trader" style, representing "exotic" import items, like the sake bundles and crates he used. Actually, ARE they Chinese? Where do they come from in Asian culture in the first place?

I want the answers by 10:00 pm tonite.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-10 10:23 pm   Permalink

I believe they "are" Chinese. I've seen tiles like the ones pictured in the basement of a store in San Francisco's Chinatown. They were on a shelf with other building decorations like ceramic roof tiles, etc. I've also seen them used in some Western architecture from the twenties. Architect Julia Morgan (Hearst Castle) used them in one of her YWCA building designs.

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-10 10:28 pm   Permalink

I know this is childish and stupid but I gotta say it,

there were tiles in that pic.?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-10 10:52 pm   Permalink

My money's on that being a photo from a Mai Kai calendar - 1982, perhaps?

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 06:38 am   Permalink

Minnie's (Modesto)has a bunch of those tiles up still. They really give a formal, character to a place.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-11 09:45 am   Permalink

Yes, those are some nice Ti..........um, Tiles.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 10:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-10 18:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
...which brings up the question again: How come these tiles were such a staple of Tiki lounge decor !?
Were they introduced by Don The Beachcomber when he polynesian-ized Chinese cuisine, as a left over of that, or were they part of Trader Vic's "Trader" style, representing "exotic" import items, like the sake bundles and crates he used. Actually, ARE they Chinese? Where do they come from in Asian culture in the first place?

I want the answers by 10:00 pm tonite.

I'm SO glad someone finally asked this question. I've wanted to know the same thing for quite a while, but wasn't sure how to describe them and I guess I was too lazy to post a picture. Someone please describe the orgins of these and their design. And I've always seen them tied to bamboo in that fashion. I would love to have a wall of these at home. What a great room divider they would make.

And, yes, judging from to 'doo, I'd say 1982 (Rock The Casbah!) for this Mai-Kai calendar pic is just about right on the money.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 10:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

I've wanted to know the same thing for quite a while, but wasn't sure how to describe them and I guess I was too lazy to post a picture. Someone please describe the orgins of these and their design. And I've always seen them tied to bamboo in that fashion. I would love to have a wall of these at home. What a great room divider they would make.

You know, I just re-read my post and if you read it as though I was referring to the lovely sarong-clad server, it's really quite funny.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
POCKETIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 3:53 pm   Permalink

I'm pretty sure those tiles are the same as the ones in TRADER VIC'S here in London, England. If so, I would imagine they must have been used in some of the other locations around the globe? I'll check next time I'm in there which hopefully will be in the next week or so! Barkeep!...Make mine a Mai-Tile!!!
Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

View Profile of POCKETIKI Send a personal message to POCKETIKI  Email POCKETIKI Goto the website of POCKETIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 4:57 pm   Permalink

At 30 bucks apiece, she's about 5 dollars more expensive than I remember these being in the Oceanic Arts catalog. For architectual salvage, she's way off. They are a tiki bar staple, though. For a 4-to 6 tile order, why not...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 3:36 pm   Permalink

And I've only ever seen them for sale for $100 a piece (on which I of course passed)!

But I'd be thrilled to have access to them, be they $25 or $30 a piece.

Not that I have one freakin' free square inch on which to place them....

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 5:34 pm   Permalink

...I'm not gonna let this one go away THAT easy:

While I am still seeking to throw some light on the mystery of the Chinese Tiles in Tiki style, here is what I know:

First, to get a good image of the subject at hand, I will borrow two of Tikiskip's photos from his Kahiki Catalog thread, they are the clearest shot of the tiles I have found, and of how they are lashed in between bamboo frames:

Thanks, Skip!

Here is one of MANY Trader Vic's that used them, the Portland Trader in 1959, left AND right, with Barney West masks hung from them:

Here is the London Trader Vic's, whose other decor shows why I attribute them to the TRADER-style:

Then there was THE LUAU in Beverly Hills (visible on the bottom, in the foreground and background).

It is obvious that these tiles had become part of the standard vocabulary of Tiki Temple decor. But HOW and WHY?

My 1991 Orchids of Hawaii catalog which has TONS of Chinese restaurant crap in it is of NO help, it just proves how far the Tiki Devolution had progressed at the time: Tridacna shells, Tikis AND the tiles were all made out of plastic by then!:

Here is an ad from the 1958 LA Times that shows that the tiles were not only used in restaurants:

Sometimes these tiles are the ONLY proof left that there once was a Tiki edifice. When visiting Bing Crosby's Blue Skies Mobile Home Village during the last Palm Springs Modcom tour...

(No tiles in this shot, just Der Bingle)

I was thrilled to find THIS rendering for a Tikified mobile unit in the club house:

(note the awning support post to the left of the Tiki)

After an extensive urban archeological survey of the whole park, I was finally able to identify the site ONLY by the tiles that were left as the last remaining sign of its former glory:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-05-12 21:22 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation