FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Vintage Jade Tiles
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Vintage Jade Tiles
T1K1 LEE
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-12 7:20 pm   Permalink

Awesome details an equally awesome photo's

View Profile of T1K1 LEE Send a personal message to T1K1 LEE  Email T1K1 LEE Goto the website of T1K1 LEE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 10:01 pm   Permalink

Nice examples, Sven...I've always wanted a few of these, but the wholesale buyer in me kicks in fast. They are indeed a tiki temple staple.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 10:20 am   Permalink

These tiles are also in the Dallas Trader Vic's. Heck, now that I know they are available, I might want some.
Robert

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 11:36 am   Permalink

Robert, watch out that you don't get the newer, globby ones (like worn out Tiki mug molds). The ones in that Burbank store are vintage, with nice detail in the glaze.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-14 11:59 am   Permalink

Thanks for the link Bigbro. Thats why I took / posted that picture.
So one and all could see how these were tied.
All tiles below are made of ceramic not fiberglass.
We all need to take more close ups of tiki type joints.
Document how they were put together. Here today gone tomorrow.
Here's more. These are all from kahiki.

These tiles are biger. and they have more detail.
These tiles were in the offices up stairs.

This is a close up of the tie job.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2007-05-14 12:20 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-14 12:13 pm   Permalink

Ok one more type. These were not from the Kahiki.
This last tile has a made in china sticker.
And a sticker that says"customs permission"
This last skicker is a hologram type stickie.
This tile is much heavier than the others. I do not think they are ceramic.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 1:24 pm   Permalink

I believe the last type of tile you have pictured is the type I saw for sale in a basement shop in San Francisco's Chinatown. They all seemed to have chips in the glaze - so maybe the modern version's aren't as durable or well made. They sure were heavy - I wanted a couple - but I didn't have my car and couldn't lug them on the BART train!

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 1:56 pm   Permalink

They look yummy, Skip! I can see how you picked up your appetite for Chinese tiles at the Kahiki: You liked them so much, you had them for appetizers (yellow), entree (green), and dessert (big green) !

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 4:51 pm   Permalink

MrsHoptiki here,

bigbrotiki & tikiskip, thanks for posting the information and photo’s.

Basement Kahuna, she quoted me $30 a piece also, but she had one laying by itself on a table with a sticker that said $20. Remember she is an vintage/antique dealer so she would probably be willing to negotiate.

The tiles look just like this one that tikiskip posted. Not the bad mold ones from Oceanic Arts (no offense O A). To me they look vintage and really nice. I'm wondering now if these may have come from the Luau in Beverly Hills that bigbrotiki posted a picture of.

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-14 4:57 pm   Permalink

Yes I think they are cool. used to be able to get them for $15.00.
The Kahiki ones were a deal I made with the Tropical Bistro guys.
Plus a trade I made with someone else.
I think the last ones are newer.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 5:14 pm   Permalink

I just got this interesting e-mail from Bob at Oceanic Arts:

"Bula Bula Sven:
I noted the thread on T/C of the Oriental Ceramic Tiles.
I believe you are right that Trader Vic first used these. We also sold a lot to George Nakashima over the years.
Originally they were made and imported in TeraCotta and the greenish color was very rich.
When we could not longer get these we had a ceramic firm make these in Ceramic. We had them in the Jade Green, White, Spanish Gold, Red, Turquoise and Cinnabar.
Other colors to order.
Last time we made these up we sold them for $18.50 ea. We did salvage 32 of them from the Pago Pago in Arizona and have about 30 of them left."

So we might never find out how and when exactly Trader Vic's came to use them, but they do seem to be connected with the "Trading in exotic goods" concept. And since his success was a shining example for the other Tiki entrepreneurs, it makes sense that these were accepted as part of the standard decor, and decorators like George Nakashima, who was hired away by Steve Crane from Welton Becket, architect of the Beverly Hills Traders, went on to use them at the Luau, the Mai Kai and the Mauna Loa.
Now we just need to find out about the original, Chinese history of application of these

blue.octopus
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-12 3:19 pm   Permalink

I was in Trader Vic's London last night and sadly only had my iPhone rather than a proper camera, but I took a photo of the Cast Iron "tile" that they have in alternate pattern with the green tiles above.

View Profile of blue.octopus Send a personal message to blue.octopus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-12 5:23 pm   Permalink

I got 4 of these off Ebay a while back for about $20 each. Architectural salvage from China. The edges are all plain where they were mortared in place. Very heavy.

Also, you see the lashing there, but under all that rope is the galvanized wire that holds them securely in place. The rope is just there to cover the wire and make it look nice. And usually it's rattan they are tied to instead of bamboo. So, when you are recreating the look, wire them in place firmly, then cover with jute ot\r whatever.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-13 10:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-12 17:23, Swanky wrote:

I got 4 of these off Ebay a while back for about $20 each. Architectural salvage from China. The edges are all plain where they were mortared in place. Very heavy.

Also, you see the lashing there, but under all that rope is the galvanized wire that holds them securely in place. The rope is just there to cover the wire and make it look nice. And usually it's rattan they are tied to instead of bamboo. So, when you are recreating the look, wire them in place firmly, then cover with jute otr whatever.

Thanks for the heads up on how they are attached.
I'm making a tile screen for my home bar as we type and this is great information.

Gotta love TikiCentral's knowledge base,

thanks
Swanky

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-14 12:12 pm   Permalink

boy the floral decor of some of those really pops out.
wish the ones at Don's were like that.
;-(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation