FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ General Tiki ╗ ╗ Vintage Jade Tiles
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Vintage Jade Tiles
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-16 7:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Woo-HOO!
Scored a pair of this kind today, together for $25, in Huntsville, TX (home of the state prison).
Good things come to those who wait. . . for 10 years. . . <eyeroll>

Now, since there are no defunct tiki bars within 70 miles of that city, I'm gonna guess that these came from a Chinese restaurant.

I'm planning on hanging one over each window in my tiki lounge. (2 don't make no room divider.)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-01-16 7:23 pm   Permalink

Fantastic score Formikahini!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-24 12:20 pm   Permalink

From the "Luau Mexico" thread

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 12:37 pm   Permalink

Looks like a nice place! Let's go there some day, Zeta!

I photographed these tiles when I was at the Riverside Mission Inn two weeks ago:

The Mission Inn is one of the great examples of early California theme architecture, and they always had a Chinese themed room:

This is a little off topic, but I remember that in the 50s, when every hotel had to have one, they supposedly had a Polynesian restaurant, in there or some other room, called the Luau Room (or something like that). Does anyone know anything about that? Any paper ephemera out there?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-24 3:20 pm   Permalink

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=33640&forum=2&hilite=riverside%20mission

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 3:52 pm   Permalink

Wow, thank you, that thread totally went by me, it was posted while I was in my last week of shooting in Paris last year.
Tiki Central delivers again!!!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 2:45 pm   Permalink

Just a note for those of you who happen to score some of these vintage tiles. Swanky is right, use galvanized wire to secure them in place and then rope or jute to decoratively "tie" them. On my installation...

... I also used a hot glue gun to keep the rope all nice and tidy because my boy scout days were a long time ago and I don't remember my knots so well.

I've still got 4 more to tie up with bamboo on the other two windows of my bar, when I ever get around to it.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-17 11:11 pm   Permalink

I recently purchased some of these green jade tiles, and I've been kinda obsessed... here's some cool pics I came across:

A-Ma Temple - Macao

Shanghai

Don's Beachcomber - McCadden St.

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-17 11:47 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-18 09:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-12 15:19, blue.octopus wrote:
I was in Trader Vic's London last night and sadly only had my iPhone rather than a proper camera, but I took a photo of the Cast Iron "tile" that they have in alternate pattern with the green tiles above.

When I took a tour of the old Trader Vic's warehouse in Emeryville, I was shown some cast iron tiles that were made by one of Vic's brothers. That brother owned an iron foundry. I believe the tile was marked (something like) Bergeron Iron Works Richmond Cal. I'm going off a memory from about 15 years ago!
That said, any iron tile in a Trader Vics may have been made by the brother! Look on the edges or back side next time someone sees one..I am curious!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-18 2:42 pm   Permalink

Great thread! Those tiles are all over Oahu. Seemed to be a popular architectural accent for homes built in the 30's. You can spot them on homes along the old pali road, in Nuuanu, and a few in Manoa. A bunch are set in a wall in Lanikai, and I always ponder where I could get my hands on some every time I run by it.

Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-19 10:32 am   Permalink

Google Street View of a whole-lotta these on the side of a restuarant in Calgary's Chinatown:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=calgary&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta&gl=ca&ei=nMHmTNXQM46qsAOrm8mxCw&oi=geocode_result&ved=0CCUQ8gEwAA&ll=51.050065,-114.059758&spn=0,0.005026&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.050209,-114.060993&panoid=qG0Vkmm7wtfoq5hcXtvkdw&cbp=12,6.88,,0,-6.81

[ This Message was edited by: Slacks Ferret 2010-11-19 10:39 ]

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-19 6:19 pm   Permalink

I photographed these at Minnie's in Modesto, CA last year.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-19 9:59 pm   Permalink

Here's a shot from aquarj's thread of the Lanai in San Mateo:

Every epic tiki temple needs these...

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-30 5:15 pm   Permalink

La Mariana - Honolulu HI:

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation