FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events 2007 Lamp Day May 26th-Vista, CA
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
2007 Lamp Day May 26th-Vista, CA
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 11:45 am   Permalink

I have always wanted to do this as a complimentary event to the San Diego Chop Chops.... so here it goes.. Sorry.. I didnt realize another chop chop was happening the weekend before but oh well.. this is the date I can do it ...

I am opening the humble Monkeyman workshop to up to 15 participants who would like to make their own Tapa Fish Trap Lamp. Like this one

Set your Calendar for SATURDAY, MAY 26th- 2007
The cost is $80. (I found a lower cost Tapa seller)

OR.... its FREE if you bring your own materials and lunch and just want to hang out with everyone..

I will provide all the materials necessary (tapa, electrical, wood, etc) and you will assemble and layout/glue up the tapa panels...
Lunch and drinks will be included.
The event will run from 10am to .... whenever....

It will be made from actual Tapa cloth (not fabric) and if we can start early enough it should be fully dry and ready to take home before the day is up. All you will need to do when you get home is hang it and plug it in.

While the glue dries we can have a drink or two and hang out. Unlike Carving... there really arent any dangerous tools laying around.

PM or email me if you would like to attend.

The event will run from 10am to .... whenever....

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2008-05-20 09:06 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 2:43 pm   Permalink

Hey Brah, where are you getting your Tapa Cloth from?

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 3:44 pm   Permalink

Oceanic Arts..... a 4x3 sheet is $46

Then I add the cord, lamp fixtures... trim etc...

plus lunch and drinks....

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 5:09 pm   Permalink

MM it sounds great, I would love to go but I work on Saturdays.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
POCKETIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 5:18 pm   Permalink

WOW! What a great lamp!! I'd love to go but the trip across the Atlantic would be just a bit too much. Maybe you could do some plans and pics and we could put it in POCKETIKI #4 as a DIY article? I've had some good feedback with the vintage DIY articles we've had so far so these will be a regular feature. The lamp would be the coolest so far!! Think about it my friend? Mahalo and good luck with the event, I'd definitely be there if I possibly could!

Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai - max 40 Watts!).

View Profile of POCKETIKI Send a personal message to POCKETIKI  Email POCKETIKI Goto the website of POCKETIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-13 09:36 am   Permalink

MM,

I sent you a PM.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-13 3:17 pm   Permalink

MM,

This looks great Very exciting and interested in this. Need to talk with Mai Tai to see if we can swing a trip down for this. Will PM if we can do. Thanks!

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-13 3:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-13 15:17, Coco Loco wrote:
This looks great Very exciting and interested in this. Need to talk with Mai Tai to see if we can swing a trip down for this. Will PM if we can do. Thanks!

It might be a really good weekend to come down. Hang with Derek all day, then head up to the Tonga Hut in the evening.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-13 6:26 pm   Permalink

I fortunately don't have anything on the calendar for that weekend, so Coco Loco and I are free. So barring any unforseen circumstances, we're in!!! Gotta double check with my friend Terri to make sure we can crash at her pad in San Clemente. Looking forward to this! Thanks Derek, this is a way cool thing to offer to us.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-13 6:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-13 15:31, Tiki-Kate wrote:

It might be a really good weekend to come down. Hang with Derek all day, then head up to the Tonga Hut in the evening.

Oh my... that does sound like a most excellent day. I can't commit for sure yet, but I'm *very* interested. I'll let you know Derek!

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 09:05 am   Permalink

Thank you to all who have PM'd me and Emailed me about this relaxed day of crafting and fun.

I know that its not very far in the future and that means I have a lot of prep do get done beforehand.

It will entail me purchasing enough supplies and tapa cloths for the number of participants. If the $90 cost is more than you care to part with but would still like to participate you can bring your own fabric and shave $45 off the cost.

Please RSVP no later than MONDAY MAY 21st.

To RSVP please paypal the $90 (or $45 if you have your own tapa or fabric) cost to

derek@monkeymandesign.com

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 09:09 am   Permalink

Oh and if any of you have your own glue guns and small hammers... please bring them.

CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 1:01 pm   Permalink

That's Memorial Day Weekend, so my plans are a little up in the air right now.
I would love to participate and am very interested, I'll know in a couple of days.

MM, thanks so much!

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 8:46 pm   Permalink

Ok

Each participant will receive a kit that will contain the following:

Qty Item
2 - 6" wooden rings (for the ends of the lamp)
2 -9" wooden rings (for the middle of the lamp)
2 -wire nuts for the wiring
1 -twin light socket with pull chain
1 -10 ft 18 gauge cord/plug
1 -4 inch bracket bar (to hold the socket in place)
1 -top nut and washer
2 -Eye Hooks (to hang it by)
2 -Cheapo Paint Brushes (to brush on the modge podge)
5 -1/4" x 1/4" x 34" poplar ribs (to create the bend)
1 -Piece of Chip Board (thin cardboard)
1 -3 foot by 4 foot peice of real tapa cloth
8 -feet of seagrass braid
4 -hot glue sticks
25 - wire brads
2 -low wattage bulbs
-Electrical Tape

I will do some of the prep so that you can get the whole thing done in one day.

You will get all of this plus some lunch and some drinks and some comradery and some instruction and some music and some fun....

But best of all.... when you get home..... its READY to hang.

6 of the 15 spots are filled....

Dont be shy... I wont bite

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2007-05-16 13:13 ]

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 1:11 pm   Permalink

If you are wanting to participate but unable to swing it Memorial Day weekend then I have another option for you.

I will prep 15 lamp kits regardless of how many attendees show up and will ship the kits to anypoint in the US to those of you who would like to try it at home.

I will provide instructions and make sure you have everything you need.

Keep that in mind if you are too far away or not available that weekend.

PM me if you are interested. The Kits will be $80+ shipping

A lamp like this in Oceanic Arts would retail for about $200+ fully assembled.

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2007-05-16 13:16 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation