FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Origin of early Trader Vic's logo Tiki found!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Origin of early Trader Vic's logo Tiki found!
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-15 12:34 pm   Permalink

Very good. I bet the Trader's donations helped getting him the permission to use that image. And he probably was a paying member of the museum, too. Then again, it might just have been one of his architect's designers who clipped it from a magazine and never bothered asking where it came from.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-20 6:58 pm   Permalink

Bump.

Anybody been to this museum yet?? Any more info? I just found
something very similar and am VERY interested in more info.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 09:25 am   Permalink

Here's a shot i took of the Maori tiki from the de Young. Sorry for the crappy photo but all I had was my phone. If I remember correctly he stands about 2.5-3 feet tall. The carving has great detail and the wood has a beautiful patina.

Here's another interesting image I came across. It's dated 1905.

Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 12:05 pm   Permalink

Wow how cool. It's sitting there for everyone to see! Worship this arch Tiki, oh bay area Tikiphiles!

Silverline, I still think yours are from your local Kona Kai. Sure, this guy WAS used by the Trader Vic designers, but look at the Kona Kai (Hale Tiki) rendering by Irving Weisenberg BOT P.54, he clearly based it on this guy...and I don't think he ripped of the Trader's (even though it was there first), I believe he took it from a Maori art book, and Armet & Davis possibly sent the Tiki's photo from it as reference to the various Marriots in the country.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bLOCKhEAD
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-24 6:26 pm   Permalink

I got this bloke at home I think he looks close, do any other tiki's have masks tattoo's or only the one's from NZ

[ This Message was edited by: bLOCKhEAD 2008-03-24 18:28 ]

View Profile of bLOCKhEAD Send a personal message to bLOCKhEAD  Email bLOCKhEAD     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pakalolo Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-24 7:47 pm   Permalink

Tiki Royale - thanks for posting that pic - I'm going to go check out the de Young for a closer look as soon as I can... will gather more photos then

View Profile of Pakalolo Man Send a personal message to Pakalolo Man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 8:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-24 12:05, bigbrotiki wrote:
Silverline, I still think yours are from your local Kona Kai.

I agree (how could I not?). The similarity is strong and they look to have the right amount of age to them. I believe we are seeing the start of a trend here in which Kona Kai decor will be coming up for sale again as the original scavengers pass away and their possessions return to the open market. Vigilance and patience are a hunters best friends.

Our Trader Vic's went out with a whimper much later then the Kona Kai, and I think all the Trader's decor went back the the motherland.

It is WAY cool to see these photos of the ORIGINAL inspiration for these classic logo-tikis! MORE PHOTOS PLEASE!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 8:52 pm   Permalink

Well Mr. Blockhead, could you tell us where you obtained this Tiki from? Was it perhaps from the Trader Vic's Warehouse sale?

bLOCKhEAD
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-25 10:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-24 20:52, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well Mr. Blockhead, could you tell us where you obtained this Tiki from? Was it perhaps from the Trader Vic's Warehouse sale?

Of course Mr bigbrotiki you sir are quite correct, picked him up at the tv sale, got to be remake i'm sure. The little bloke on the left was picked up by me on trip to NZ. So being new to tiki stuff tell me are the nz tiki the only ones that have the mask tattoo's

View Profile of bLOCKhEAD Send a personal message to bLOCKhEAD  Email bLOCKhEAD     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 12:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-12 14:54, Cammo wrote:
Ah, could someone please go down to the de Young museum and photograph every single piece in their entire Oceana exhibit hall? Then post the pix here on TC? Their collection apparently goes back to 1895.

They have a New Guinea hall as well, and a great African carvings section too.

Please?

Umm I didn't get every single piece, but heres a start of what me and my daughter snapped while breezing through...

Sorry but I didn't have time to get descriptions etc, so you're gonna have to go there yourself! But enjoy the eye candy! More to follow.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29278&forum=2&start=last&0

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener 2008-07-30 12:08 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation