FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Tiki Oasis VII Room Crawl
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki Oasis VII Room Crawl
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-25 5:21 pm   Permalink

At the past thread mentioned above,

"get yourself an official drink card, visit the predesignated rooms at predesignated posted ‘serving hours’" etc. etc.

But the Room Crawl card does not have rooms or times written on it.

Is it like a contest to find this stuff out? Is that the point? Is that the fun part? Are we supposed to track down every single room host and ask them, or just chase the fleet-footed Shelly down, tackle her and ask her politely where the parties are?

And - at the above mentioned thread, you could download the card and print it out yourself. Did this actually happen? Is it the plan for this year too?

I think people want to know what's going on.

But hey, please sign me up for one of those crawl cards. Mucho Gracias.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-25 5:45 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2007-05-25 17:21, Cammo wrote:
At the past thread mentioned above,

"get yourself an official drink card, visit the predesignated rooms at predesignated posted ‘serving hours’" etc. etc.

But the Room Crawl card does not have rooms or times written on it.

Is it like a contest to find this stuff out? Is that the point? Is that the fun part? Are we supposed to track down every single room host and ask them, or just chase the fleet-footed Shelly down, tackle her and ask her politely where the parties are?

And - at the above mentioned thread, you could download the card and print it out yourself. Did this actually happen? Is it the plan for this year too?

I think people want to know what's going on.

But hey, please sign me up for one of those crawl cards. Mucho Gracias.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cammo ~ All the people who are Hosting Room Parties and the Day and Times they will be pouring will be posted on this Thread way before Oasis. Everyone Decks their rooms out and most Hosts will have a sign posted on their door/window stating when their room will be open. You wear your card on a lanyard around your neck and each room will mark it off as you receive your drink. Check out
http://www.tikiblog.com for pics from last year. You won't believe how many people participate in this Crawl thisyear

[ This Message was edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-05-25 17:57 ]

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-25 6:03 pm   Permalink

ROOM CRAWL

Truth be told, I’m little apprehensive about the Crawl being open to the masses. The crawl has traditionally been a TC event so that fellow TC could mingle and meet other Tcer that hadn’t met before. I’m with keeping a bit more covert and on the QT as I don’t relish the thought of a huge contingent of strangers looking for a freebie. Even at a small motel like the Tropics, someone lifted a mug from my room. I’m all for meeting new people not, not just 40 at a time.....

So now that I’ve had a little time to digest some of the suggestions on this thread...I’m not too keen about any kind of billboard being made open to the general public. I do agree that this is going to take a little elbow grease, organization and communication.

I do like the suggestion of a Shell being at a couple of KEY PLACES and KEY TIMES to distribute the Cards.

DRINK CARDS

As far as the crawl cards, I have found them to be help, because they served as guide as to who was hosting. Hosts also received a special badge that identifing them as hosts. If memory serves, you could also write down on your Host Badge when you were serving.

The general ideal of the crawl card was a “NO CARD -- NO DRINK" policy. I believe this was a way to weed out the “frat boys” and “bachelor party dudes”, or those that viewed the crawl as an unlimited free fill-up.

Cammo, at prior crawls, we would print up the cards ourselves on a piece of cardstock and Shell would also provide cards for those who didn’t have printers. At the Tropics it was much easier, as it was a small motel, the motel issued room # prior to the event, and Host would post on the thread prior to the event when they were hosting. So we basically were armed before hand with 75% of the information up front. I for one, hit all but 2 of the crawl hosts!

As I mentioned earlier, last year was the testing ground at the Hanalai, the crawl didn't run as smoothly as it has at the Tropics, but now we know what we are up against, so this thread is a good way to discuss, suggest, and work out the kinks. I for one, say keep the suggestions flowing...

On that note:

BEST DRESSED ROOM

I don’t think the “Best Dressed” room should be included in the crawl. Not all Crawl Hosts may be decorating their rooms and people decorating their rooms may not be involved in the Crawl. So just my 2 cents, if someone is participating in the Best Dressed room, that could be a separate thread, separate event.

I suggest a “walking tour” of people participating in the Best Dressed Room, with a couple of specific blocks of times when people could view rooms. Just an idea.....

Mahalo!

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-25 8:27 pm   Permalink

I get it now! Finally! The card BUYS YOU FREE DRINKS!

Why didn't you just say that in the first place?!

Holy Cow, that Shelly must be one popular woman while she has those cards in her hands!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shell in the Pacific
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-28 5:34 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

Thank you for your support and enthusiasm.

1. Otto is only officially sponsoring the Room Crawl by donating prizes. The room crawl will not be mentioned/ promoted in any of his literature or e-mails.

2. The only way to find out about the room crawl is on this TC thread. Non TC people will not know about the room crawl unless they are tipped off by TC people.

3. Bottom line, Room Hosts will only serve as many drinks as they wish, to whom they wish (card or no card). Remember it is their party, their room, their decision.

4. The Crawl Card is like your free ticket to participate in the room crawl. Last year I handed out at least 100 cards. In the past I was able to post the card design on TC for crawlers to print out before attending the event, but some people had technical difficulty with the printing. So, I bring a bunch of cards equal to the number of people that post indicating that they wish to crawl. This year the card may be a little larger or more elaborate. Dr. Shocker has offered to help me design it and he has more experience than me. I am not sure how it will turn out, or if we will be able to post the card on this thread as I have done in the past. Keep monitoring this thread for more information.

5. As soon as Room Hosts choose the days and times they wish to serve drinks, I will post that information on this thread. Keep checking the thread up until you arrive at the hotel for the latest information on dates and times. This thread is your official link to information about dates and times.

6. I plan to be at Tiki Oasis from Thursday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. I will be at the Bali Hai for dinner and the show/music on Thursday evening from about 5:00 on. I see it as my responsibility to distribute the crawl cards to everyone I see that has expressed an interest in the crawl.

7. Setting up a time for you to come to meet me is an excellent idea. As the event gets closer I will choose a few places and times to meet with you. That information will be posted on this thread as the event nears.

8. I agree that the easel in the lobby is not a good idea. Too public.

9. Best dressed room will be awarded to the best dressed room, whether the room occupants are Room Hosts or not. Otto started that tradition last year, with the trophy. Woo Hoo, you can keep the trophy, you earned it for all time.

10. In the past I have printed up name badges for the Room Hosts to wear, identifying themselves as Room Hosts. Look for people wearing these badges. A few room hosts have handed out small cards that they designed themselves indicating their room number, day and time they will be pouring drinks. Other Room Hosts have posted signs on their doors indicating when they will be serving. Room Hosts want to get the word out that they are serving drinks. Nobody wants to go to the trouble of purchasing lots of ingredients, turning their room into a bar, and then have no one show up for their party.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please post them on this thread, or PM me or e-mail me at
shellpacific@yahoo.com.

Aloha,
Shell in the Pacific

View Profile of Shell in the Pacific Send a personal message to Shell in the Pacific  Email Shell in the Pacific     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-28 6:25 pm   Permalink

Here! Here! Shell! I think you clarified it concisely!!! Anyone not understanding what you've said doesn't need any libations to increase their level of air-headedness!!!

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dibroc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-29 09:35 am   Permalink

Add Paula and I to the crawl list. Not sure if we are staying so will update on hosting as we get closer to the event. If we do not host we would like to "adopt" a room to help out with some "provisions".

View Profile of dibroc Send a personal message to dibroc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-29 11:18 am   Permalink

I will be at Tiki Oasis, but wasn't planning on being a Host. If anyone is considering Hosting but needed some additional help, I would love to assist. Please PM me and we can talk.

Aloha,
Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IKABOD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 10:07 am   Permalink

Cult of the Eye? Well uh.... I think I've said to much already.

View Profile of IKABOD Send a personal message to IKABOD  Email IKABOD     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
closettiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 9:21 pm   Permalink

hi.....id love to get in on the crawl.....as the name goes...im a closettiki follower.....it will be my first oasis but im looking foward to it...sounds like a great way to meet new tiki people....and have some fun......yeah i dig tikis........besides having fun and not have to worry about driving .....cool.

View Profile of closettiki Send a personal message to closettiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cannibal Sam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-31 11:56 am   Permalink

count me in plus 1. my wife has been yelling at me to get off the the floor but i want to make sure im ready for the crawl. it will be my 1st time but if its anything like the tonga art shows its sure to be a blast with lots of fun people.

View Profile of Cannibal Sam Send a personal message to Cannibal Sam  Email Cannibal Sam     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brenda's Tiki Hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 2:06 pm   Permalink

Chief Bartender at Brenda's Tiki Hut and I will be crawling. Can't wait to taste the unique concoctions people dream up. Still have the army dudes hanging in our home tiki bar from last year. That drink was potent!

View Profile of Brenda's Tiki Hut Send a personal message to Brenda's Tiki Hut  Email Brenda's Tiki Hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 11:44 am   Permalink

Oh boy, I havn't seen so much ado about nothing in a long time. If you need everything spoon-fed to you, including how to fold a piece of paper, you should look for a room serving non alchoholic drinks.

Ran

P.S. yes The Keelhauled I made last year was potent, and if I have the time/money to share them again with friends (probably not), you can bet that you'll have to work a little hard to find out about it.

[ This Message was edited by: kick_the_reverb 2007-06-01 11:51 ]

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 12:02 pm   Permalink

Tiki Central before an Oasis Room Crawl is like Churches at Christmas time... and Easter....

Or for a non religious reference its also like your local Gym on January 2nd.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Shocker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 3:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-01 12:02, Monkeyman wrote:
Tiki Central before an Oasis Room Crawl is like Churches at Christmas time... and Easter....

Or for a non religious reference its also like your local Gym on January 2nd.

now thats some pretty funny shit MM

I do agree

Ran a non-alcoholic room drink now thats just cruel......but could be funny

View Profile of Dr. Shocker Send a personal message to Dr. Shocker  Goto the website of Dr. Shocker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation