FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Photo Bank: Pre-Contact Oceanic Carvings & Artifacts
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Photo Bank: Pre-Contact Oceanic Carvings & Artifacts
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 3:39 pm   Permalink

The idea behind this thread is to have a reference bank of Native Tiki photos. They should be original, pre-contact or close to it, interesting native carvings. Photos from out-of-print books, pictures you've taken on site, or shot in museums around the world would be great. Let's not argue terms, you folks get the idea.

Attaching a date, type of wood used, location of carving to each would be really helpful. If the dates and locations aren't correct, don't sweat it. A lot of this stuff is hard to track down.

These first ones are from a Sotheby's Auction. Cool, huh?

New Guinea Highlands, early 20th century. Board figure.

Maori Temple Center Post. East Coast Hawkes Bay area of New Zealand, dated to c. 1820.

Pentecost Island, Vanuatu mask. C. 1890.

Pair of figures from the Marquesas Islands. From the collection of Ambrose Vollard, carved c. 1880.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 12:27 pm   Permalink

Picture of the 1878 Ethnographic Museum at the Trocadero, Paris World Fair. This was one of the first of the Native Arts Museums, and inspired French artists enormously. This is where Picasso and Matisse learned all about Tikis, about 1906.

Photo from 1928. Notice the Tikis to the right, in and around the cabinet.

Agiba Skull Rack.

Images of Papua New Guinea Spirit Boards, created c. 1910 or before.

Spirit Board - 'Titi Ebiha', New Guinea Papuan Gulf, Kerewa area.
Notice the dancing pose - check out the feet.

Papuan Gulf, Urama Island, Aird Delta, Maiaki Village, near Kinomeri. Irivake figure, a guardian spirit. Very rare, predates 1925. How cool is this guy?

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 1:08 pm   Permalink

Excellent idea, Cammo! This will be a great place for people to post "source" photos of ancient, authentic, indigenous, etc. tikis and artifacts. It's a great idea to start with the source and tweak the design from there to something new and original just as Barney West, Milan Guanko, Andres Bumatay, and all of the other tiki carvers did back in the PolyPop era. I'd love to see more.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 8:46 pm   Permalink

Cam,

You rock man! Thanks!!....much enjoyment had from this tonight. See ya at the Chop!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 9:46 pm   Permalink

I'm going to give this a shot. I have no details though. Just a few pics from New Zealand museums.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 10:13 pm   Permalink

Musée du Quai Branly. No more info on the following stuff;

Check this out!

This jolly little fellow is creepy as hell.

And this if from the Met Museum, NYC. It's African, but it totally blew me away when I saw it the first time in person. It's probably originally from the Museum of Primitive Arts, 1957.

Cripes, it's all flat planes!

Hula Cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 10:06 am   Permalink

Great idea Cam!.....if it works' I have a illustrated book called "The Heavens Earth and Ocean" by James P. Boyd pub.1887 and while it shows "wonders" from the entire world ,it has a chapter titled Isles of the sea where they have engravings of everything from King Kalakaua of Hawaii and a surfer ,tattooing rituals, Maori monuments,Marquesan carvings to the only illustrations I've seen of Easter Island Moai in profile with rows of bowl-like depressions rising vertically along the cheeks and ears.....( I'll post photos as soon as possible)

View Profile of Hula Cat Send a personal message to Hula Cat  Email Hula Cat Goto the website of Hula Cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 9:50 pm   Permalink

Speaking of books... is there a very short answer on how old a book must be for the copyright to expire? I have a few old books (not quite as old as Hula Cat's, though) that would love to share their photos here.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 9:59 pm   Permalink

Here are a few more.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 10:18 pm   Permalink

Hey Aaron,

I think I'm right in saying that a copyright is good for 75 years....remember the whole "Gone with the Wind" thing and it's sequel, however, if passages or images are used in a educational, non profit way, your cool....I say post away. If someone snarls you can always pull them down.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Cool stuff Kate!!

See you two tomorrow!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-21 12:42 pm   Permalink

Here's some more, from the way out of print classic, "African and Oceanic Art". The following are all African carvings.

This one blew away everybody at the Chop Chop last weekend. I dare anybody to find a weirder native carving anywhere.

Like, what is he doing, driving an Alien Death Muncher?

Ejiri, Guardian Spirit; Ijo, Nigeria.

And Babalu actually decided to make his King of the Underwater City of Cthulo tiki have a BIGGER dick after seeing this.

Ghana, brass, 4" tall.

Sierra Leone Figure.

Otobo Water Spirit. Nigeria.

Dance Headdress; Bambara, Mali.

This one is almost Japanese, but freakier;

Wart-hog style dance mask. Liberia.

[ This Message was edited by: Cammo 2007-05-21 12:50 ]

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 4:43 pm   Permalink

More stuff. When does this wrap to the next page????

Maori House Panel, detail about 1.5 feet across.

Cook Islands God. A little over 1 foot tall.

Classic Solomon Islands Boat Figurehead. Nice earrings.

Door Panel, New Caledonia.

And this one is just great. The Solomons have some really odd carvings, you could make this into a cocktail olive sticker;

Fish Figure, Southern Solomon Islands. Wood with Mother of Pearl Inlays, about 6 feet long!

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-24 12:18 pm   Permalink

More African carvings; these are my ultra favorites.

This is one of the all-time classics. These Nimba masks are sometimes seen as the best example of African Primitive style anywhere, maybe bacause they look so other-worldly, but also cause the carving itself is perfect.

Nimba Headdress, Baga. Guinea.

This on the other hand looks pretty simple. It looks cool, though -

Dance of the Dead Mask, Dogon, Mali.

Looks like copper, but it's wood -

Mask of the Poro Sciety, Guinea Coast.

Bakwele, Congo.

Yup, one of those Sorcerer Detection masks -

Ngi Sorcerer Detection mask, Fang, Gabon.

Good Luck Mask, Goti, Ivory Coast.

Hula Cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-27 2:12 pm   Permalink

Cammo and any other interested parties, as promised, these are illustrations from the 1887 book that I referred to in an earlier post. The last two images are African, as Cammo expressed an interest in this, and I also included a picture of a surfboard rider and various islanders in tattoo and dress regalia.
Hope they're of some use.

some of these moai have bowl sized pock marks along the sides and that's a new thing to me

at Cammo's request these last two are African first is Zambesi and the second is Congo (note the artifacts)

View Profile of Hula Cat Send a personal message to Hula Cat  Email Hula Cat Goto the website of Hula Cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-28 07:56 am   Permalink

Is that surfer sitting on his board backwards???

Thanks Hula Cat! I've seen a few of those photos reprinted, but the original book is a treasure chest.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation