FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Drinks and Food ╗ ╗ What use for Wray & Nephew Overproof rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
What use for Wray & Nephew Overproof rum?
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-04 12:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-30 11:00, The Gnomon wrote:
Of course, Joy's indirect endorsement could be company hype to sell more OP, but the combination does sound like it has merit. Even though I'm not a big fan of mixing cocktails with any kind of overproof rum, I've been definitely planning to give this a try.

It sucks I'm sad to report. I still haven't totally given up on it, only because it is a supposed favorite of Joy Spence. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have tried it a second time.

I made myself about a dozen Overproofs & Ting over a four day period. The first one was awful and never got better. I found it unappealing for two reasons: 1) the rum completely wiped out the flavor of the Ting, which is shameful; and 2) the Ting did nothing to mask that "kerosene" flavor that characterizes W&N White Overproof. It was somewhat surprising that the addition of Overproof to Ting still almost tastes like Overproof straight.

Anyway, I'm guessing that this is an acquired taste. If I actually liked the taste of Overproof straight, but found it to be way too strong on its own, combining it with Ting would be a way to water it down without losing the flavor of the Overproof (as if). Why not just use water? Maybe the water isn't so good throughout Jamaica. In South America we used to drink beer, wine, and soda instead of water because the water was so...microbial. But Overproof definitely obliterates the flavor of the Ting.

Quote:

On 2007-05-30 11:00, The Gnomon also wrote:
In the 50's and 60's, Coca Cola tasted like Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper tasted like Dr. Pepper, and Squirt tasted like Squirt. I think it was in the late 60's that Coke changed its formula, ruining it. I don't think Dr. Pepper was ruined until the early 70's. I have no idea when Squirt lost its identity. None of these sodas today taste anything like they were when they were great. Schweppes owns Squirt now, but it's produced in the US by Dr. Pepper/7-Up.

Anyway, while a real Coke and a real Dr. Pepper are things of the past, you can get the effect of a real Squirt because Ting tastes just like original Squirt. In fact, Squirt used to be the only soda I recall that was sold in little 10 oz. bottles, dark green, just like Ting. I think Ting copied Squirt in every way possible, but fortunately, Ting still tatses like Squirt. Now Squirt tastes awful.

I was in an international supermarket the other day and in the Hispanic section I ran across some Squirt and CocaCola that was bottled in Mexico. I'd forgotten about the fact that the bottling factories throughout Latin America that were initially established by Coke, Pepsi, and other US soda companies ages ago (50's? earlier?) continued to manufacture soda according to the formulas they had from their beginnings. When the formulas changed in the US they did not change in Latin America. I don't know if they have changed yet. I'm hopeful that they have not.

The sodas I picked up are in the typical returnable bottles designed for old-fashioned soda machines. The glass is really heavy duty and are scuffed and worn on the outside. One looks like it has made about 10,000 trips through vending machines. I'll take some pics. They were all sticky on the outside, which is a good sign (kind of a certificate of authenticity).

If the Coke from Mexico has the same flavor and qualities as the Coke of the 50's and 60's, then Overproof might make a good Cuba Libre.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-06 07:32 am   Permalink

Ahhh...Ting. I can speak to that. In the eastern Caribbean, Ting is used with a spirit called CSR or Cane Spirit Rothschild which is made on St. Kitts.

CSR is a white rum, but it has some "funky" notes to it. I mean funky in a good way. It has some Cachaca flavors to it that lend a rustic appeal to it. Musty, kind of brandy-like. It also has a fair amount of alcohol heat. I believe it is only 80 proof. It no where near as strong as Wray & Nephew Overproof. I tried it as my first drink on the island straight in a snifter. I would say it is basically made for mixing.

Anyway, on St. Kitts and neighboring islands, you drink a Ting with a Sting. That is CSR and Ting over ice. Same ratio as a gin and tonic. About 2 oz of CSR, about 3-4 oz of Ting.

It is a great drink. The CSR cuts the sweetness of the Ting in just the right amount. And the grapefruit masks the mustiness of the CSR. No garnish necessary.

Obtaining CSR is difficult. At last check, only California had it, and they were going through the process (at the ABC) of approving a new label. From personal experience, this can take half a year. I suppose you could try to substitute half Appleton White and half Cachaca for CSR, but I'm not sure that will do.

And concerning Ting, I obtained it here in Kansas City, but the quality was not great. It was 2 years beyond its expiration, made in Canada, and tasted much sweeter than the stuff down in St. Kitts. I bought a case of it--I should have gotten a six pack.

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-06 07:45 am   Permalink

Ting is the BEST!!!! We tried it years ago on vacation in Barbados.

Since then, we have found it at HEB in Texas - in the International foods section. So anyone in TX can pick it up there - we usually bring some home to WI with us when we go down to TX for Xmas. I had never thought of putting Wray & Nephew with it - will have to try so that maybe we can make a dent in that bottle of Wray & Nephew we've got - as its uses are limited.......and a single bottle goes a LONG way......

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-06 1:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-06 07:45, croe67 wrote:
Ting is the BEST!!!! We tried it years ago on vacation in Barbados.

If you like Ting, you can understand why Squirt fanatics were so disappointed when Squirt went off the market and were even more disappointed when it resurfaced with a completely different, immensely inferior flavor.

Squirt first came on the scene in 1938. Ting was first manufactured in Jamaica late in 1976. I'm not sure how much of a real connection there is between the two, but Ting seems to have copied Squirt right down to the little green bottle. Squirt lost its identity. Ting did not.

Quote:

On 2007-06-06 07:45, croe67 continued:
I had never thought of putting Wray & Nephew with it - will have to try so that maybe we can make a dent in that bottle of Wray & Nephew we've got - as its uses are limited.......and a single bottle goes a LONG way......

Don't waste your time with the Ting if you don't like the flavor of W&N White Overproof. When you mix them the flavor of the Ting disappears. No doubt, you'll want to try one just to see what I mean.

I mainly use W&N OP for soaking garnish fruit overnight and for flaming effects. As for flaming effects, it's not good by itself. You need to pour it over something else that burns nicely. If you light OP in a shot glass, you might not even notice right away that it's burning, which can be dangerous. It burns without much of a flame on its own.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-06 2:58 pm   Permalink

I must admit the overproof takes a while to get used to, but I am finding that I am enjoying it more, that kerosene taste has a wierd appeal. A bit like Lime pickle with an Indian meal.
Nice to see Joys name pop up here, she is a true inspiration and a great character to boot, at last years London Luau she got up on stage to sing "One Love" with King Kukulele and the Friki tikis.
Her knowlege of rum is incredible, she found the last remaining 17 YO they had in stock.
Anybody interested should come to Rumfest in September here in London where Joy will be a guest.

Anyway back to the OP, who's gone Jamaican style and tried it with milk yet?

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-07 01:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-06 14:58, cheekytiki wrote:
I must admit the overproof takes a while to get used to, but I am finding that I am enjoying it more, that kerosene taste has a wierd appeal. A bit like Lime pickle with an Indian meal.
Nice to see Joys name pop up here, she is a true inspiration and a great character to boot, at last years London Luau she got up on stage to sing "One Love" with King Kukulele and the Friki tikis.
Her knowlege of rum is incredible, she found the last remaining 17 YO they had in stock.
Anybody interested should come to Rumfest in September here in London where Joy will be a guest.

Anyway back to the OP, who's gone Jamaican style and tried it with milk yet?

Yeah I did, and guess what?....it tasted like milk n kerosene.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
californialife
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-08 5:31 pm   Permalink

It may be an acquired taste and I tend to stray towards Tanquerey martinis when I'm not doing exotic drinks, but I found myself drinking Wray & Nephew Overproof rum straight over crushed ice in a collins glass when in Jamaica. Small sippy straw. Enjoyed it and brought bottles home as a result. Just had it out the other day and tasted it again; still like it.

View Profile of californialife Send a personal message to californialife  Goto the website of californialife     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
californialife
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-08 5:31 pm   Permalink

It may be an acquired taste and I tend to stray towards Tanquerey martinis when I'm not doing exotic drinks, but I found myself drinking Wray & Nephew Overproof rum straight over crushed ice in a collins glass when in Jamaica. Small sippy straw. Enjoyed it and brought bottles home as a result. Just had it out the other day and tasted it again; still like it.

View Profile of californialife Send a personal message to californialife  Goto the website of californialife     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-21 11:30 am   Permalink

Tried a Wray & Nephew OP Martini the other day at trailer Happiness, interesting, its not bad with Cranberry either.

[ This Message was edited by: cheekytiki 2007-06-21 11:32 ]

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbanu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-21 6:44 pm   Permalink

You can use overproof anywhere that you can use regular rum. Just use around half as much. (With W&N being 63% abv instead of 75.5, you might want to make that 3/4 as much, but it's the same basic principle.) If your normal Rum & Coke is 2 oz. rum to 6 oz. Coke, with overproof you'd use 1 oz. rum and 7 oz. Coke. With cocktails, you just use half as much, and fill the rest of the volume with water. If your normal Daiquiri is 2 oz. rum, 1/2. oz simple syrup, and 1/2 oz. lime juice, with overproof it'd be 1 oz. rum, 1 oz. water, 1/2 oz. simple syrup, and 1/2 oz. lime juice.

View Profile of mbanu Send a personal message to mbanu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 5:17 pm   Permalink

Here's an original cocktail I whipped up while listening to Yma Sumac's "Voice of the Xtabay". The Wray & Nephew float adds a weird, but quite pleasant burnt aroma/taste to the overall sweetness of the various liqueurs.

Divine Nectar of the Xtabay

1 1/2 oz. Homemade Sweet & Sour Mix
1 oz. Patrˇn Reposado Tequila
1 oz. Capel Pisco Reservado
1 oz. Mango Nectar
3/4 oz. Passionfruit Syrup
3/4 oz. AGWA Coca Liqueur
3/4 oz. Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum
1/2 oz. Se˝or Curašao Curašao
1/4 oz. Kalani Coconut Liqueur
1/4 oz. Homemade Grenadine

Shake all ingredients, except for the rum and grenadine, with crushed ice. Pour into a large brandy snifter, and add more ice to fill. Float rum and grenadine on top.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2009-04-25 17:24 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-29 7:11 pm   Permalink

Home made falernum...

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 12:17 pm   Permalink

I made a "Lovely Lovely" from Sippin' Safari this afternoon. The recipe calls for Bacardi 151, but I subbed Wray & Nephew Overproof, and it was superb. The brown sugar in the recipe masks the funky burnt vanilla smell of the overproof, and it tasted quite a bit like Lemon Hart 151. Great cocktail. Destined to be one of my favorites from Sippin' Safari.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-01 9:48 pm   Permalink

I finally found the secret to enjoying a W&N Overproof and milk-- throw in a shot of creme de cacao. Aight.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-01 11:05 pm   Permalink

I actually love having shots of it when i'm out and a few months ago had a fantastic cocktail using it. When i was over in the U.S. just recently i bought a bottle back with me just i could make them.

Nuclear Daiquiri.

22.5ml W & N rum
22.5ml Chartruese
22.5ml lime juice
15ml falernum

Shake and strain.
*No garnish, as no garnish can withstand the might that is the nuclear daiquiri.
*(creators words)
I'm going to be so sad when i run out of it as it isn't available here to buy.

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2012-10-10 05:45 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation