FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Kapulapu- Palembei -Skoai - Thread Retired
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Kapulapu- Palembei -Skoai - Thread Retired
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-29 9:34 pm   Permalink

Great to see some other folks getting into the craft.
From what I can see in your pictires, you will need at least a three piece mold, not including a fourth if you have a recessed bottom. Keep in mind for your wallet, the more pieces to the mold, the higher the cost of the mold, and the more seams to clean up on the greenware. Though, I try to never change a design due to complexity, if you are paying someone else to produce the molds, this may be a factor to consider. For the amount of detail in your sculpture, stay away from solid color glazes; you will loose a lot of it. Stick with semi clear of self antiquing, which will accent your design. Might also be nice to see a version painted with underglazes and done in clear.
Look forward to seeing the progress on your mug.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-29 10:42 pm   Permalink

I like his look - sort of like an iguana or a chameleon. Cool stuff!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-29 11:14 pm   Permalink

You better make sure to bring a little sumtin sumtin by FI. I'd love to see one of the artist proofs in person.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-02 5:55 pm   Permalink

OceaOtica-Thanks a lot for the info and support. I agree about not wanting to change my art for the mold, we will see what happens when I finally meet with the guy. I talked with a guy at the ceramics store and he was telling me I needed to use cone 10 glazes to be food safe, even though they cone 5 and 6 glazes that said "food safe"? I suspect I will be doing a lot of proofs.

Sam-Thanks for the comment. Funny, we just hung one of your superkool Orbit Room signs in our bathroom and are considering using it as a color palette for a new paint job.

Haole'akamai- Of course, as soon as I get something to bring, I will be at FI on a Wednesday for some drinking and showing!

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-21 3:25 pm   Permalink

It only took me 7 months to finally get this thing into production. I poured my first molded mug today with mixed results. The first one came out too thin and subsequently had to be repaired for cracks as I took it out of the mold.

Here is the mold in pieces.

Impatience got the better of me. I should have left it at this stage for longer.

Slip poured out of the mold.

He made it out.

Profile.

Tomorrow is a new day with hopefully a drier mold and no sticky rips.

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-21 4:05 pm   Permalink

Oooooh-wheee, that is sharp!!

p.s. I am on the list for this, right?

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-21 4:20 pm   Permalink

That's some nice work. I think I'll start following this thread.

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-21 7:37 pm   Permalink

P-a-t-i-e-n-c-e Tiki Kaimuki, good thang'z come to those who wait...KAPULAPU is looking great glub-glub!!
Keep posting the coool photo's as each one hatch'z...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Meheadhunter
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-12-21 8:52 pm   Permalink

Very cool Mug....Nice work...Please put me on your list...

View Profile of Meheadhunter Send a personal message to Meheadhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-22 08:02 am   Permalink

Hey Haole'akamai, LOL Tiki, Traveling Jones, and Meheadhunter, mahalo for your compliments.After some coffee and cartoons I am going to pour another one this morning. I opened up the mold and put it by the heater last night to get it ready for sucking moisture.Hopefully, it will produce.

Meheadhunter
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-12-22 3:29 pm   Permalink

Good luck on pouring another....I can't wait to see the finished piece....

View Profile of Meheadhunter Send a personal message to Meheadhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-13 4:48 pm   Permalink

After my ceramics store ran out of slip I was made to wait yet again. Now, I have two five gallon buckets and busted out 4 mugs with a 5th one in the mold right now.
I began glazing the previous ones I made- one peanut style(hanging out on a shelf at Forbidden Island), one blueish with brown bark, and one greenish with brown. The two latter are getting another glaze treatment for experimentation.

The pic below shows the newly hatched and one I did in an all white glaze just for fun.

The production line rolls on...

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-13 4:54 pm   Permalink

What a cool mug, Tiki Kaimuki! Can't wait to see them with all of the glaze colors.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-14 01:50 am   Permalink

Lookin' Good!!! HiPhIP!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-14 06:45 am   Permalink

Very cool mug indeed! I would love to purchase one when you get-um in mass production.

Be sure to dry out those plaster molds some after about 4-5 pulls or so, and don't fire that greenware one you put glaze on...sure you knew that :-) Try leaving the slip in the mold for about an hour before you pour it out, that gives a nice thickness to the mug in my opinion.

Sweet!!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation