FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Trailer Trash Chop in Lemon Grove - June 30th!! It don't cost nuthin!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Trailer Trash Chop in Lemon Grove - June 30th!! It don't cost nuthin!!
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 7:37 pm   Permalink

Damn, I know that girl! Man, she must have hit the big time...having her own doll image and such!

Shelley, we would love to have you here....TikiDav is Kahuna around these parts...you will learn grips, and have fun doing it. Welcome.

Super Cool pdrake! I know I for one am going to be peeking over your shoulder quite a bit...sweet!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 7:54 pm   Permalink

Looks like i'm on the maybe list? Will know for sure when we get closer.

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zaya
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 8:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-30 19:14, pdrake wrote:
should i bring some stone and my diamond wheels? i know it's not a big thing to people, but if anyone want's to see how that's done i'd be happy to make some pebbles.

I'd like to check it out!

Zaya

View Profile of Zaya Send a personal message to Zaya  Email Zaya Goto the website of Zaya     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 8:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-30 19:54, tikimecula wrote:
Looks like i'm on the maybe list? Will know for sure when we get closer.

you're going to bring your sharpener right??? I dropped my 2 inch flexcut right on the concrete garage floor while finishing the skull......damnit!!!! Case of beer on me if ya bring it!!!

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-01 07:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-30 09:17, Babalu wrote:
OK Dav, I'll put the carving on hold for now and ready something....How about a tribute "So Cal. Chop Chop" mug? We can make the mold, I'll cast and fire, glaze just enough mugs to give everyone at the Chop 2 each, then we'll take a hammer to the mold....that sounds like fun!

Okay then, looks like we've got our man. Post shots of it as you go along, Babalu so we can make sure that it's moldable.

........and what's up with The Lemon Grove Kids, Cam? I've lived here in SD my whole life and have never heard of them. Are they a well kept secret for some reason? I'd love to see the movies, but probably won't have time at the Chop. Where can you rent them?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 1:25 pm   Permalink

Lemon Grove Kids - Just read the post on page 1 all about them.

I may not be able to get a DVD of them, but I CAN get "RAT PFINK A BOO BOO" on VHS by the same genius of filmmaking, also shot in Lemon Grove in his backyard and some say it is the GREATEST achievement in the art of film ever produced by Grovers. Others say it's the worst movie of all time, but there is simply no accounting for taste.
Either way, it's a must view while in shady Lemon Grove.

And - the best video store in San Diego is Kensington Video on Adams Ave., they have (almost) everything.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-02 4:39 pm   Permalink

Here's the progress on my Black Ulua fish -

It's all carved in 1/2 a palm wood log, old stuff and reall brittle, so I gotta be real careful.

First the design -

Trace it on a smoothed down log-

Side view -

Go in with the Japanese back saw to get the fin planes -

Details -

Smooth that fish down -

End view -

It's still got a long way to go...

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-02 4:53 pm   Permalink

Hey All,

Major coolness Cammo! You bringing him to the Trashy Bash?

TikiDav just left from posting up over here for a minute. We talked a little about Tonga and all the stuff I missed….I’m bummed, it sounds like everyone really cut it up. I need to try and make the next. Anyway, you Tonga folks f**ked up! Dave only made 2 of these lamps, and none of them sold at the event??….now, there is only 1 left as Babalu got first pick.

Ok Dave, I took about 40 minutes or so after you left to start the first sketch for the “So. Cal. Chop Chop” tribute mug. I will finish this one (maybe tonight – will post) and go on to the next sketch (they will get better)...I only have this real soft oil clay at the moment to play with….it’s a trip! I will get some plaster to mix up for a core on the next ones, and see what other type of oil based clay I can lay my hands on. Lately, I’m kind of into this sea turtle shell headdress look. I will try one without it too. Let’s see, what do we typically get at these Chops…15 people or so? That’s 30 mugs at 2 each…any newbies coming? Babalu has a big kiln.

Trashy events are starting in the “Babalu Chop Area” already…kickin’ it with some crazy locals last night….

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-02 5:38 pm   Permalink

Rick, lately all your carvings are looking like the Grinch! Are you from the Geisel family tree?

Cam, that fish project is gonna be impressive! Time for you to start your own carving thread!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-02 5:56 pm   Permalink

Wheeler,

Humm...Green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam I am...

Not related, but I did grow up on the stuff...This one kind of looks like the Grinch on LSD.

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-02 6:39 pm   Permalink

That fish is going to be much more South Seas before I'm through with it. Got some oddball staining ideas up ma sleeve. Ya'll see.

And I think Babs' stuff looks underwatery in a Grinchy kind of way. Mermen and Nemo's Lost City of Mu. Give it some scales, dude! Or a seaweed necktie! Or more teeth - little pointy teeth! You could also weather it a bit when you're done - put some long palm-log cracks in it.... hmmm...

Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-03 9:32 pm   Permalink

The Babalu mug looks good, Rick. Just a couple of things to consider.

If this one is just a sketch, try using some harder clay on the final piece. It is going to have to survive some man-handling while being molded. Roma Plastelina a good clay to use.

Behind the shell looks like it could get caught in the mold. Try tapering it back a bit for a smoother transition. Either that, or we could leave it as it is and curve the separation line of the mold to fit the contour better. It's a more difficult molding procedure, but certainly do-able.

The shell sticking up above the lip of the mug might make drinking from it a bit of a challenge, (especially after having a few) unless the drinker uses a straw. I dunno. What do you guys think?

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-04 06:47 am   Permalink

Hey Dav,

Thanks for the critique, but this one is going to get bagged...just want to get my hands oily with something.

Will keep posting so that you can keep checking for undercuts. Where do you buy your oil clay at here in SD? Free Form is suppose to have our plaster in today. I'm going to pick up a couple hundred pounds at lunch if it came in on the truck...going to grab some slip too. Your using all cone 04 slip on your other lamps right? Don't have any low fire glazes right now, so I will also pick up some different stuff to do a test firing with, or a least get a new catalog to see what's available.

For the next one...let's see, Cammo wants sharp teeth, and I think wheeler wants it to be a little less Grinchy, any other requests from you Choppers?

__PS. If you guys have any images of past art that you would be interested to see turned into a mug, please post._______________
[img]http://lh4.google.com/image/professorrobot/RcOX6ijyobI/AAAAAAAAAA8/zaAwAE6InNo/s288/Captain_Kangaroo_with_bunies.jpg[/img]
Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2007-06-04 07:08 ]

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-04 5:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-04 06:47, Babalu wrote:

__PS. If you guys have any images of past art that you would be interested to see turned into a mug, please post._______________

Someone had once suggested making Oki Doki's head into a mug. I always thought that was a great idea since he was born at the Oki Oki and has sort of become the unofficial Chop mascot.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-04 8:45 pm   Permalink

Hey Babalu, you can get Roma clay at Aaron Bros. Any other oil clay that's worth a dang you'll probably have to order. I have some extra Roma you can use and some other harder clay if you want to give it a try.

And yes, I'm using cone 04 slip for the lanterns.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation