FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Backyard Tiki beginning
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Backyard Tiki beginning
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-04 5:15 pm   Permalink

Looking good and putting it to good use for the fourth I see!!! Love the Aloha rock formation in the garden. Nice work.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gordon58
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-05 10:19 am   Permalink

Beautiful! Fantastic! And helps me with my own setup...

View Profile of gordon58 Send a personal message to gordon58      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
T1K1 LEE
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-05 6:26 pm   Permalink

Looking real good.Keep the work going and updated us as you progress.

View Profile of T1K1 LEE Send a personal message to T1K1 LEE  Email T1K1 LEE Goto the website of T1K1 LEE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMookie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-07 12:27 pm   Permalink

Fantastic tiki hut and bar! And great mosaic, I may do something like that.. we have a raised patio that needs a tiki hut and a curved wall that needs a mosaic..

You people are so freaking talented!!

View Profile of TikiMookie Send a personal message to TikiMookie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lisa D.

Posted: 2007-07-07 12:55 pm   Permalink

Rock on that is a heck of a nice DIY tiki bar! My hats off to you, good job.

View Profile of Lisa D. Send a personal message to Lisa D.      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ualpow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-04 12:16 pm   Permalink

I added a ceiling fan and some rope lights(i know please be nice). The shades were needed for late afternoon sun.
Does anyone have a suggestion for outdoor heat? I have a Natural Gas disconnect outside but electric would be ok to. I am going to surround the lower half with bamboo fencing and probably continue the shades all the way around to help keep some heat in. I would really like to extend my enjoyment into November.

View Profile of ualpow Send a personal message to ualpow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ualpow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-05 12:52 pm   Permalink

Ok it's building time again in Chicago. I need help deciding the best way to enclose the lower part of our hut. I was going to use texture plus panels but it would be way too expensive. We want the vertical bamboo look. It will be seen from inside as well as outside the hut. Has anyone made "bamboo" panels themselves? I have tried to find the roof panels that are wave like (round as opposed to the angled ones) I could paint these to look like bamboo. If anyone has any ideas please speak up, I am open to all ideas.

View Profile of ualpow Send a personal message to ualpow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sungod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 8:24 pm   Permalink

Looks good and everything, but I think you need to check the ID of those two guys at the bar. Something tells me they may not be 21!

View Profile of sungod Send a personal message to sungod  Email sungod Goto the website of sungod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-09 06:16 am   Permalink

This may be the sort of "wave" roofing panel you are talking about:

It is an asphalt/fiberglass product called Ondura. Available at Lowes in 4X5 panels. I've used it for roofing and the specs say it can be used in a vertical application as well. A bit soft, however, and might be subject to getting kicked.

Another option is to use OSB or some other exterior rated panel, paint it brown and then cover it on both sides with bamboo or reed fencing.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Zen 2008-04-09 06:18 ]

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-09 7:33 pm   Permalink

Nice looking so far. Page 8 of my thread shows how I did my bar front with OSB-painted black-then attached bamboo splits. You could do similar but you might have to use something more suitable for outdoors, like PT exterior ply instead of the OSB.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=20343&forum=18&start=105

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ualpow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-11 08:55 am   Permalink

Sungod, When they are outside with their sister the Margarita machine becomes a snow cone maker.

Tiki Zen, I looked at that at local store. was tempted to try it but I don't think the "waves" are Round enough to get a pole look. I may buy a piece today to try anyway. I will let you know how it works.

Howland, What can I say....except kick ass job on your bar/room. You have a wonderful ability to make your ideas into reality. I like the slat idea but I have 37 linear feet of 3' tall run to cover, both sides. I may end up cutting PVC into thirds and painting it like my vertical posts. I like the idea of the exterior plywood painted black. Would give a good base and block the wind during our cooler months.

Please keep the ideas coming. The more ideas posted the more something may click in someones head. Thats how I got started my project.

Aloha

sparklegem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-12 06:21 am   Permalink

Beautiful job!! Amazing, really.

View Profile of sparklegem Send a personal message to sparklegem      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OOGALY BOOGALY

Posted: 2008-04-18 05:48 am   Permalink

That is AWESOME!! I want to put one of those in my backyard. The only difference is mine will be free standing. If you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost minus any labor fees? I was quoted $2500.00 for a simple free standing cover w/o a roof. Who did you use for the thatch? How weather proof is it? I am in So. Cal and am really only concerned with the ability to withstand some occasional rain. I will post some pics of what I am working with when the sun comes up. Thank You

View Profile of OOGALY BOOGALY Send a personal message to OOGALY BOOGALY      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ualpow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-06 7:25 pm   Permalink

The Bora Bora thatch was the most expensive part. I think it was around 2200.00 from Golden Global out of Florida. They sell a cheaper version called Domingo (not sure of the price) that you install on roof sheathing. The Bora Bora looks real from both sides, the Domingo you only see the outside.
It is UV safe, and as long as you follow the installation guide, rain will not go through it. I love sitting out there with a home brew while it is pouring down. Watching the rain drip off of the palm fronds is very relaxing. I did have one spot that dripped because I ran short of the hip pieces, but a dab of clear silicone solved that. I think the total cost for materials was around 3000.00. Its just Pressure treated lumber, 4" PVC, Paint, etc. Labor was cheap, just me. Well the Wahine helped with the painting of the "bamboo" poles.
I started putting 6" log siding around the lower 4' and it looks more like a "Tiki Room" now. We are going to paint some simulated bamboo knuckles on the siding when it's all installed.
I need advice on a Volcano fireplace with water running down orange/red fireglass into a bed of fireglass at the bottom. I also want a cascading sheet of water in front on the fireplace opening.
Any creative ideas???? I need help with this one.

ualpow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-22 9:10 pm   Permalink

Well I did some more work this spring. The Wahine made the signs. I decided to use log siding vertically to simulate bamboo. Still need to add the growth rings. With the lower half of the hut enclosed and the shades down it is a very cool room. We also stained the floor with a reddish concrete stain. Found a heater at the local bulk type store which should extend our time well into October. I'm done building for this year. From now on it's just partying!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation