FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » good white rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
good white rum
JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-01-13 07:50 am   Permalink

Come on guys ... let's not move the fight to yet another thread. Let it go!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-23 9:09 pm   Permalink

Back to the topic at hand ...

I finally found a bottle of Bacardi Heritage in the back corner of an obscure store I rarely check out:

I will put it to the test and see how it stacks up against the mighty Havana Club white rums mentioned above.

In the same store, I also found a dusty bottle of Brugal Ron Blanco Especial, which I don't think is even available in the U.S. anymore (it's not listed on the Brugal USA website). It comes highly touted (by AdOrAdam), so I'm looking forward to seeing how this compares. And to complete the trifecta, I also picked up The Real McCoy 3 white, which I've been seeking for several years.

Daiquiris are in the works.

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-01 10:03 am   Permalink

picked up a bottle of Papa's Pilar blonde for $15 from the clearance rack at Winn Dixie. bottle says 3 yrs solera blended, finished in sherry casks.

tried it neat, tastes very smooth, hints of oak, lots of vanilla, too sweet for me- this tastes more like a spiced rum than a spanish-style white rum.

still need to try it out in a few cocktails...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-20 8:12 pm   Permalink

I got a little sidetracked, obviously, but a few recent purchases brought me back to ranking all my white mixing rums. My biggest take-away: I own entirely too many white mixing rums.

So without further adieu, here are the white rums rated 2.5 or higher (on a 1-5 scale). For comparison's sake, my overall No. 1 is Lemon Hart 151 (4.4).

* Havana Club Anejo 3 Años (Cuba) – 3.5
* Havana Club Añejo Blanco (Cuba) – 3.3
* Plantation 3 Stars (Jamaica/Barbados/Trinidad) – 3.2
* Bacardi Heritage/1909 (Puerto Rico) – 3.1
* Denizen (Jamaica/Trinidad) – 3.0
* Papa’s Pilar Blonde (Central America/Caribbean) – 3.0
* Bacardi Maestro Gran Reserva (Puerto Rico) – 3.0
* Flor de Cana Extra Dry (Nicaragua) – 2.9
* Brugal Ron Blanco Especial (Dominican Republic) – 2.9
* The Real McCoy 3 (U.S. via Barbados) – 2.9
* Cruzan Estate Light (U.S. Virgin Islands) – 2.8
* Don Q Cristal (Puerto Rico) – 2.8
* Mount Gay Eclipse Silver (Barbados) – 2.8
* Mount Gay Special Reserve (Barbados) – 2.8
* Tanduay Silver (Philippines) – 2.8
* Wicked Dolphin Silver (Florida) – 2.8
* Clement Premiere Canne (Martinique) – 2.7
* Doorly’s Macaw (Barbados) – 2.7
* Ron Matusalem Platino (Dominican Republic) – 2.7
* Tommy Bahama White Sand (Barbados) – 2.7
* Appleton White (Jamaica) – 2.6
* El Dorado Superior (Guyana) – 2.5
* Vizcaya Cristal (Dominican Republic) – 2.5

Bacardi Maestro Gran Reserva is new. It's Bacardi's "super premium" mixing rum. I actually like the 89-proof Heritage a little better. The extra proof gives it some extra kick. Here's a good article that breaks down all the Barcardi whites:
http://www.alcademics.com/2015/05/the-difference-between-all-those-bacardi-white-rums.html

They still can't touch Havana Club, of course. And I also picked up a bottle of Bacardi's Havana Club (U.S. release), which of course is rubbish. It didn't even make this list, along with a few other bottom-shelf whites (Trader Vic's, Ron Carlos, et al.) I find it hard to believe Captain Morgan White is worthy, but I may have to give it a try just out of curiosity.

Okole maluna!

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-20 9:44 pm   Permalink

I’ve been using Meyer’s Platnium or Ballast Pt. White in my Mojitos and Daiquiris. Very tasty.
Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-20 21:45 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-10-21 08:30 am   Permalink

Oronoco from Brazil. Never for mixing, but for sipping. Yes, it's a sippable white rum. Too bad Diageo stopped making it.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-21 9:56 pm   Permalink

Heyward-- I don't see El Dorado 3 yr old on your list-- that would be in my top 3 for sure.

I find Havana Club Añejo Blanco very harsh, and rate it much lower. The Papa Pilar Blonde tastes almost like a spiced rum to me, I rate it very low.

I rate the Tanduay much higher. I'd also put Matusalem a bit higher on my list.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-21 11:35 pm   Permalink

El Dorado 3 is high on my list to try next. I've rarely seen it in stores around here, but just spotted it in Total Wine so I may be adding it soon. The ratings are almost purely based on how they compare in a daiquiri since I'm not a fan of sipping white rums neat. That may account for some placing higher or lower.

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-21 11:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-10-21 23:35, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
El Dorado 3 is high on my list to try next. I've rarely seen it in stores around here, but just spotted it in Total Wine so I may be adding it soon. The ratings are almost purely based on how they compare in a daiquiri since I'm not a fan of sipping white rums neat. That may account for some placing higher or lower.

gotcha! i mostly sip neat, and then decide if they're mixers or sippers!

i dont think my TW has had the ED3- ive gotten that from a whole in the wall liquor store. worth the purchase when you find it!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-21 11:59 pm   Permalink

The PC police think this thread is racist.....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-22 10:41 pm   Permalink

The PC police can sip on this ...

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-22 11:58 pm   Permalink

LoL!

but, that's no way to talk about Plant City's finest...

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-23 12:12 am   Permalink

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-23 10:08 am   Permalink

My top 3 white rums (non-overproof):

• Oronoco — really miss this rum, even as expensive as it was!
• Banks 5 Island — the little bit of Batavia Arrack in the mix gives this some amazingly deep flavors
• El Dorado 3 Year — great top shelf mixing rum

The first two on the list are perfectly sippable, they make you forget white rums are not supposed to be for sipping.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-10-23 10:14 am   Permalink

Sunny&Rummy, great post, I didn't know you were also a fan of Oronoco. I found what I think was the last case of 1.75 liter bottles in Memphis, and hired a trucking company to ship the case to my work. It was pretty funny when the big rig arrived at my work to deliver a case of booze!

Yes, few white rums are truly sippable. I will look for the Banks 5, your suggestion is appreciated.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation