FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » good white rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
good white rum
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-10-24 01:22 am   Permalink

Sunny&Rummy, great suggestions. Cana Brava is the other one I've got my sights set on.

AceExplorer, that's dedication my friend. What would it take to pry one of those bottles out of your grasp?

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-24 1:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-10-22 22:41, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
The PC police can sip on this ...

Hurc, I dunno how I missed this- I’m having trouble using my keyboard. I’m bursting out in laughter when I try to concentrate. Sorry Lance, but It is funny.
Cheers all

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-24 2:05 pm   Permalink

Oh, no David, it is funny! I hope no one took my remark seriously.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-24 11:50 pm   Permalink

I had a Cana Brava daiquiri the other night and it was the best daiquiri I've ever had.

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-27 11:09 pm   Permalink

Back to the whites.... Hurricane did you every try Cana Brava?
I've been using the following:

SelvaRey (recommend by Chad at Bootlegger Tiki)

Plantation 3 year

Flor de Cana (for drinks where the white will be overshadowed anyway)

Eldorado 3

I like all of them.

Plantation seems to mix great in the fruity drinks. SelvaRey makes a really nice daiquiri. But the one I need is Cana Brava. I only had it once but it was fantastic. I see a few people using it in the "what are you drinking now" topic, but I can't find it at my local TotalWine. Might have to go down to Hi Time for a bottle. What do you all think?

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-27 11:22 pm   Permalink

I’ll have to try that SalvaRey-never tried a Panamanian rum.Most whites,imo, don’t have a lotta flavor. Since you’ve been messing with “Barrels O’ Rum” try Meyer’s Platnium or Blue Chair White. More flavorful than most whites without a strong alcohol taste.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2016-03-01 10:02 pm   Permalink

Flor de Cana has always been my go to but lately I've been experimenting with Cana Brava and Plantation 3 year with great success. I just spotted the Denizen white here locally and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on it. I'm a big fan of their Merchant Reserve.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki

Posted: 2016-03-07 08:58 am   Permalink

My top three white rums are: Cana Brava, SelvaRey, and Denizen. I also use Don Q Cristal when I want something more neutral. Cana Brava really is exceptional and it is usually my go-to when I'm inventing new drinks.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-07 11:39 am   Permalink

The Denizen white rum is quite good. I've only had one bottle of it but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat if I saw it on a shelf. For some reason it and the Plantation 3-year are not easily found at any of my locals.

Diplomatico recently did a tasting at Cask and I have to say: their Blanco Reserva might be the best white rum I've ever sipped on. Absolutely delicious stuff.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-22 9:58 pm   Permalink

Finally got a bottle of Cana Brava! What are the best showcase drinks for it, besides the classic Daiquiri?

JenTiki

Posted: 2016-03-23 06:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-22 21:58, wupput wrote:
Finally got a bottle of Cana Brava! What are the best showcase drinks for it, besides the classic Daiquiri?

Try it in a rum Saturn (regular Saturn recipe, but with rum instead of gin). It's great in drinks with delicate flavors since it's quite smooth and you don't really need to hide the alcohol. I almost used it in my Test Pilot last night, but decided not to waste it on something where it wouldn't shine. Ended up using Don Q Cristal instead.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-23 7:42 pm   Permalink

Believe it or not Don Q provides a very smooth mojito.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-23 11:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-23 06:04, JenTiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2016-03-22 21:58, wupput wrote:

Try it in a rum Saturn (regular Saturn recipe, but with rum instead of gin). It's great in drinks with delicate flavors since it's quite smooth and you don't really need to hide the alcohol. I almost used it in my Test Pilot last night, but decided not to waste it on something where it wouldn't shine. Ended up using Don Q Cristal instead.

I always feel bad saying I use Havana Club rums when you can't get em, I use Havana Club 3 in most tiki drinks but there are a few were it really sings - I'd love to know what you think of Cana Brava I these drinks:

- Sumatra Kula
- Hawaiia Kai Treasure (actually a cheaper Orgeat works better)

Also don't forget the Cuban Classics, Havana Club 3 also improves them:

- Cuba Libre
- Diaquiri
- Mojito
- Hemingway Diaquiri

Cheers!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation