FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 Next Page )
C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 4:26 pm   Permalink

Lookin' good Bubba!

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 6:31 pm   Permalink

A little more on the feet!! Hope you don't mind the play by play, I can't stay off of this thing!!!

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 3:42 pm   Permalink

I did something risky today, and it might have been a bad move??? I started to hollow out in between the arms and had no real good idea how to do it. Now it will probably take another year to clean this mess up and 100 more progress pix! It will probably be the size of a pendant by the time I am done with it!

I had a blowout in the back of one of the arms so I had to try to match the other one up to it!

Got my first cut too!!!

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 4:08 pm   Permalink

Leather gloves......

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 5:40 pm   Permalink

Tonight I shaved the butt down to blend into the hips better, took the hands to the side of the belly hopefully making it look bigger eventually, and started going deeper under the chin. I don't even want to touch the arms yet!! And gloves are a great idea!

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 5:47 pm   Permalink

Craig,

Now you are cooking with Crisco! Keep looking at those historical photos and look for all the neat little nuances in each of them. I can see that you have incorporated much of it already! This is an excellent first piece. I admire your intensity and drive. KILLER!

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-24 11:38 am   Permalink

HOly cow!!!! great looking tang!!!! great progress shots, you've matured considerably as a carver just in this piece alone. I love the open parts of the arms and the legs. Keep up the great work!!!!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-24 3:24 pm   Permalink

Just sanded..........my process is kinda screwy, i jump around a lot! Maybe I'll get a system down soon! Got a little carried away on the pix too! Thanks G, & thanks Polynesiac for checking it out and the nice comments!

just to give you an idea how tall it is.

Any suggestions on how to clean up the mess under the arms would be greatly appreciated, or any other suggestions too!

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-24 4:05 pm   Permalink

Damn Craig! He is looking choice! This has to be the best "first" tiki carving I have seen. Now aren't you glad you didn't do that other one you first drew out?

You can clean up under his arms with some sandpaper wrapped around paint stirring sticks. Start with a heavey grit until his pits are cleaned up and then go to finer papers. I am very impressed and totally stoked that you pulled him off! He's perfect as is. Good show!

-G

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-24 6:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks GMAN, you have stuck with me through this whole carving and I really appreciate that! Also, you have given me great advice and opened me up to a whole new world of tikis that I didn't even know about (or knew little about). That paint stick is a great idea and I'm going to try it out this weekend. I don't think there is much more heavy chisel work that I am going to do on him, just cleaning up some lines, evening things out, and some detail in feet, maybe a belly button, fingers, maybe some dots over the eyes? Also, in one of the pictures you sent me, it looks like there is a row of diamond shapes down the arm. I can't really tell though, it has some pattern. I might try or do you think I should just leave that out?

Craig

Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-24 7:08 pm   Permalink

Way to go TF....looking good. You had a great time with this...and so did I following the progress...can't wait to see the next one.

R.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-25 12:10 am   Permalink

Very very good first carving, tikifreak.
Good luck for the sanding part

Wil you let it natural or stain it?

What's next ?

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-25 07:58 am   Permalink

"I don't think there is much more heavy chisel work that I am going to do on him, just cleaning up some lines, evening things out, and some detail in feet, maybe a belly button, fingers, maybe some dots over the eyes? Also, in one of the pictures you sent me, it looks like there is a row of diamond shapes down the arm. I can't really tell though, it has some pattern. I might try or do you think I should just leave that out?"

Hell yes! The little stuff is what makes these buggers shine. You may not want to carve the dots and diamonds into him, but paint them on after staining. I have not done this, but others here have - with great results. Search the posts and you will see some great painted details on Tangs and other works.

Also, I think you are right, and might want to do some detail carving on his fingers, toes, winky, and of course, make him a belly button.

SWEET!

-G

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-25 09:13 am   Permalink

Here's a good example:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=12405&forum=7&start=135&hilite=tang

-G

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-25 12:00 pm   Permalink

DAMNNNNN, thanks for that link!! I actually checked out that thread but only the current stuff which is very cool! I wish I went back further to see that earlier on.

http://www.myspace.com/crutler

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation