FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 Next Page )
C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-15 12:02 pm   Permalink

:G$:

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-15 4:15 pm   Permalink

Man, that is one ambitious project for your third tiki. It is coming along good, G is right, put the saw down for a bit, take a really good look at it and you will see what needs to come off. But so far it is looking pretty good! I can see where you are goin'! I haven't done anything with a saw in while, and this is giving me the bug.

[ This Message was edited by: JohnnyP 2008-05-15 16:16 ]

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Machschau

Posted: 2008-05-16 12:44 pm   Permalink

Craig,

I just found this thread and wanted to say "hi" from Herndon, VA. I haven't found many people around here that even understand what a tiki is, let alone, carving their own pieces.

I haven't taken the initiative to try myself, I've finally gotten around to buying one. Check it out:
http://tikimania.com/docs/bt_141.html I don't have it home yet, but I finally saw it and met Crazy Al at Tiki Caliente last week in Palm Springs.

It's good to know there's more of us around here. Keep up the great work.

-Ted

View Profile of Machschau Send a personal message to Machschau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 10:44 am   Permalink

Craig-O,

How's it going? Howz about some more pics? I wanna see whatcha got goin'....

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 4:18 pm   Permalink

Hey JohnnyP, Thanks for checkin' in! Yeah, I put the saw down but I think I took too much off? This is going to be a tough one but I thought I would give it a shot.

Machschau- Hi from Woodbridge! Get a log and start whacking at it!!!

GMAN- No progress yet, it's been rainy here pretty much everyday! Hopefully this weekend.

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 5:10 pm   Permalink

Boooooooo!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 6:47 pm   Permalink

TFreak, Looking Great so far, just Don't take too much off with that big nasty Saw, it's too hard to put back on. From your previous pieces I doubt that will happen, Just Slow down and take it easy, take your time and the tiki will be fine!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-22 2:08 pm   Permalink

There's one of these in the Sotheby's catalogue that came online today and though you might like a look. Estimate €400,000-500,000! (that's US$632-790,000 )

Quote:
An exceptional Biwat flute stopper, Yuat River, Lower Sepik, Papua New Guinea

Eddy A. Hof (1914 - 2001) acquired items for his significant collection of Oceanic art from the beginning of the 1950s onwards, primarily from Dutch missionaries who had stayed in New Guinea.

Wusear figures, with their deliberately aggressive features, were used by the Biwat to seal the ends of their large sacred bamboo flutes, which are known as haiyang. These flutes (which are actually resonance chambers, with the player modulating the sound by using his voice and covering the mouthpiece with his fingers) are of great social, ceremonial and religious significance. The carved figures are believed to be the children of the spiritual mother crocodile, Asin, who enabled initiates to be symbolically reborn by swallowing them and then spitting them back out as fully fledged adults (Meyer, 1995: 211). According to Terri Sowell, a distinctive feature of the Biwat's initiation rites was that in contrast with other Sepik groups 'both girls and boys were initiated and gained the right of access to sacred objects and beliefs' (in Friede, 2005, vol. II: 104).

Meyer (ibid.) considers the Biwat's depiction of the human figure to be 'the most powerful and most aggressive of all the art styles of New Guinea'. The Biwat were traditionally feared both for their skill as warriors and for their cannibalism (ibid.). As well as their powerful appearance, these figures present the highest level of elaboration in terms of their conception and decoration. The offered figure is one of the most exceptional examples of its kind, distinguished by the contrast between its powerful appearance and the finesse of its features, the representation of the tortoise carved on the back, and by the richness of its ornamentation.

See Friede (2005: 164-165, no. 137) for a flute stopper from the Jolika Collection in the de Young Museum, San Francisco, which shares the rare and distinctive feature of an animal carved in low relief upon the back.

Yours is looking great so far - the stance/ posture and proportions are spot on!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-22 5:05 pm   Permalink

Good lookin out Paipo!!! I really appreciate the pics, info, and props! Although, I'm not really happy with what I did with the legs on this guy. I put him in more of a squat stance and all the one I have seen have straight little peg legs. It has been rainy here so I haven't worked on it but I checked on it in my shed and it is starting to crack pretty bad. I do have another roughout I did of the same style which I hoping will be better? Pics this weekend, the sun is out!!!

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-23 04:40 am   Permalink

if you don't like the rough out, send it to me. I'll finish that bugger

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-23 04:47 am   Permalink

Hi Tikifreak, I think the roughout looks fine and still gives you
plenny wood to shape him up. I love that more primitive style, it's
gonna be cool.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-23 1:19 pm   Permalink

G- when you say stuff like that it pushes me even harder, thanks!!!

Conga- you the man!! Thanks too!

Today's session was somewhat successful, I think?

I started to even things out, put in some facial feature, started to thin him out ( still have a lot of that to do in the arms and other areas), gave him some elbows and patellas (which look like boobies right now) but that's just for the time being! I tried avoiding the legs as much as possible because I'm still thinking about them, but I did shape them a little bit? Obviously the facial features are just roughed out, the nose will hopefully be shaped to fit a tusk through it (if I can pull it off? So far all done by hand.............................................
tools (chainsaw and angle grinder, I need a new disk!)

Three day weekend, hopefully a bunch more carving!!!

harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-23 3:28 pm   Permalink

nice wanger!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-23 4:03 pm   Permalink

Ummmm, I guess so?

No, I gotcha Harro (I think??) Thanks

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-23 5:38 pm   Permalink

I dig the guy's expression. Lotsa character for just a few digs,
you are gonna suck a good one out of the wood. Have fun!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation