FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 Next Page )
C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-02 3:51 pm   Permalink

Well another huge chip came out above his right eye, so I am now trying to fix that problem! I was really pissed at first but now I think I figured out what layering is all about? I hope I can get it back to pretty much the same shape. It's a mess right now but hopefully it will turn out okay?

My plan is to shave the eyes down more and then get them deep again, if that makes any sense! I also might be able to give it a better upper lip (which I started a little)

The things around the eyes I might change up a bit and have them flush on the sides of his head and try to scoop it really deep into the eyes??? I want to try this to get rid of the funny shaped head.

And now it is a really funny shaped head!!! Damn I have a lot of work to do!

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-02 4:42 pm   Permalink

Lookin good, keep chipping away and before you know it he'll be Done.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-02 4:55 pm   Permalink

Good adjustment TikiFreak...I think you've stumbled on one of the major revelations early
in your carving career...going deeper is generally good! You have a nice one going here
and it will only get better as you continue...unless you do what I just did and carve so
much that the head falls off. Don't do that!!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-03 12:03 am   Permalink

The head and face are getting better and better. It will be a very nice piece.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-03 02:51 am   Permalink

Craig,

You know what you want and mostly know how to get there. This is good. Think about what you are doing and try to remove smaller amounts of wood so you don't lose huge chunks. If you do pop a big piece off cause your tool was dull or the grain was in a bad way, just glue it back on with superglue gel. You can then go back and work the area carefully again. No worries, you are doing great!

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-03 04:29 am   Permalink

Benjamin- Thanks man! Although, I think right now it looks worse than it did before but that's just the beginning of fixing it. It should look way different shortly. I appreciate it though.

Gman- I was a little careless. I wasn't rushing but I thought I was in a flow. I think the wood was just really weak where that natural crack is above his right eye? I hope it's not my tools since they are fairly new. But that wouldn't supprise me since I have no idea what I'm doing and probably tearing them up? I feel you on the gluing, but something just tells me this will be for the better (I hope). I can visualize a new idea and we'll see how it turns out? Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak1 2007-08-03 06:30 ]

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-03 09:24 am   Permalink

Right there with ya on the carving....dealing with stuff that is gone, and making adjustments. It's fun though huh? A different way of thinking. Like GMan said knowing where you're going seems to be half the battle. I guess knowing how to get there is the other half...and dealing with the surprises/accidents and making necessary adjustments. Pretty steep learning curve.

Wondering if that gluing idea works with jade? I could use that!

Looks good though...good on ya. The heads not that funny...just a work in progress. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing how it comes along.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
insanetikiers
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-05 6:56 pm   Permalink

tikis lookin great craig! how much has that dude split? i did one in green cherry awhile back & it split like a muther! pissed me off. wife still likes it though. keep the chips & dust flying!

View Profile of insanetikiers Send a personal message to insanetikiers  Email insanetikiers     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-05 7:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks man! Too bad it doesn't even look close to that anymore! I'm pissed! I'll update soon, it's such a mess right now I need to clean it up a bit. It's going to look a lot different. I think more like your standard "tang"???? It's hard reworking over stuff you already did!

Craig

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 09:58 am   Permalink

Well, I hate to say it but this attempt is over. I have messed it up too bad to do anything else with it. Everything is uneven and the depths of the cuts are way to deep now! I'm waiting on another log now and give it another go! It sucks I messed it up so bad, I think I was off to a good start but it was a good learning experience for the future! Thanks for everybody helping me out with this!

Craig

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak1 2007-08-06 10:00 ]

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 10:01 am   Permalink

Not a chance! Post some pics. It can always be fixed. Don't stop now.

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 10:23 am   Permalink

Here you go G! I just feel I have taken off way to much for any recovery!

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak1 2007-08-06 10:24 ]

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 10:47 am   Permalink

Bad move man. You gotta finish the other one and learn. You'll just make more mistakes on this one and not be where you want. That other one is really fixable. Just go deeper. Work a bit slower (take less off with each chisel mark) and you'll be okay.

Go back to the other one and go deeper on those cuts. Finish it. Then, if you feel like it, start over and use the experiences to make it better...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 11:04 am   Permalink

You are not as bad off as you think you are. This one is fixable. Take small cuts, work on both sides back and forth so you can see the progress and even things out side to side for symmetry. Keep going- You are on the right track, you'll be surprised where you end up after working on it for another hour or so.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 1:19 pm   Permalink

What you did is make the shoulders and arms pop out. Consider it just being roughed out, now continue as planned. The only error you bade was cutting in too much details before the whole piece was ready to detail. We All do that one time or another and what happens is when you go to get the piece all rounded and smoothed, you find some of that detail was in the way and had to go. Just keep chipping at it, you will find your tiki still in there.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation