FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving pdrake new stuff check it!! 7/19
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
pdrake new stuff check it!! 7/19
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 07:57 am   Permalink

thanks tama. that's siberian jade. looking forward to a pic with you. i hope you like it.

thanks ben. it's bubinga (african rosewood).

http://www.exotic-wood.com/bubinga.htm

kiwi, i don't know if my camera has a macro. i just want my designated photographer to come up and take pictures of it.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 7:52 pm   Permalink

hey! what do you know! my camera does have macro! thanks kiwi!

now to just get macro sanding bits.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 8:49 pm   Permalink

well, the wood part is almost all finished. just a little sanding in the tight spots on the face. this wood is fan-freaking-tastic! it finishes to a glass like finish. when the wax goes onit will bring out the shine so much. the grain that you can't really see is sooo tight and wavy. i thought it was sanding marks. it feels like touching love.

should i put the white stain on it?

kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 8:58 pm   Permalink

PD - its perfect as it is! (IMHO).

Absolutley smashing! And congrats on mastering the mysteries of the macro camera

KS

View Profile of kiwishaman Send a personal message to kiwishaman  Goto the website of kiwishaman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 9:37 pm   Permalink

thank you very much kiwi. well, the face is done pretty much. it's going to take some polish with bee's wax and spit.

what do you think?

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 9:58 pm   Permalink

now to start on the bone part. the lashing area on the wood is going to need to be modified. the lines need to be parallel in order for the cord to lay correctly. no problem man. i can do it!

(i'm so happy i found the macro setting.)

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2007-06-22 21:59 ]

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-23 7:11 pm   Permalink

well, bone part is done. now to put it all together.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-23 7:16 pm   Permalink

TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-23 7:49 pm   Permalink

TASTY looking wood-N-boner pdrake!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Quote:

On 2007-06-23 19:16, pdrake wrote:

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-23 8:32 pm   Permalink

thanks, jones. i gotta let it rest for the night before i work on it to let the inlay set in right and proper, so i'm going to work on this:

this "dolphin" hook will have a couple of different kinds of inlays. it's from a koa burl i got from hawaii. it's a very, very pretty wood.

kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-24 01:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-23 19:16, pdrake wrote:

PD - cool. You have done a fab job on both the wood and the bone.

awesome.

View Profile of kiwishaman Send a personal message to kiwishaman  Goto the website of kiwishaman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-24 6:00 pm   Permalink

well, just a final polish and wax and it will go up on the chopping block.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 6:16 pm   Permalink

well, on the advice of someone i changed the lashing. it did look a little too nautical and like an anchor rope compared to the rest of the hook.

what do you think now?

FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 6:21 pm   Permalink

I think it looks damn good both ways...If I had my choice.. I'd wear the newer look. Great Stuff!

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 9:05 pm   Permalink

Agree PD - the black detracts less from the artwork. It may be the flatter cord too.

Good work, and good idea to throw it out there for comments too, as not all of us agree!

Congrats

KS

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation