FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving pdrake new stuff check it!! 7/19
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
pdrake new stuff check it!! 7/19
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 10:50 pm   Permalink

thanks freddie and kiwi. i got some other feedback on the black cord as well, and it seems that was definitley the way to go.

i really appreciate the feedback.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 7:54 pm   Permalink

well, it's done. i'm going to finish up the toggle, mastadon ivory, with a nice moari spiral.

thanks for looking.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-02 8:13 pm   Permalink

another cool lttle piece i'm working on. anyone have some advice? anyone that has any experience with this, particularly how to finish this wood? it's cocobola. i've never used it before.

thanks

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-02 8:40 pm   Permalink

It's Really Pretty wood but VERY Toxic, so wear your mank and wash your face and hands after working with it. Looks like another super Perry Piece!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-02 8:43 pm   Permalink

oh

i guess that's good to know. i was wondering why it was a little itchy. i didn't wear my mask with just the wood, but i did wash up right away. i have been wearing the mask since i put the paua on it. i do know how toxic that is.

thanks a lot ben.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 07:43 am   Permalink

Those pieces are looking good. Cocobolo was one of the first woods I started carving (Pens). It has beatiful colors that range from Black to Purple to Orange. I would finished thet stuff with anything clear. Once the clear coat goes on you will really see the color POP! It is nasty stuff - I can't work with it any more. If this wood affects you then be carefull when working with some of the other exotic woods. Its a very common problem. Good luck.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 8:41 pm   Permalink

thanks a lot. i appreciate the feedback. so far no bad reactions from the wood. i have donned the mask.

here's a little updat. almost done with the wood/paua part. only a couple of more grits to go.

too bad it's dark. i'll try and take some pics outside tomorrow. the shell is breathtakingly beautiful. it's amazing that something that strikingly colorful comes from nature.

here's a sneak peek at another little thing i'm working on, too.

mahalo!

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 9:04 pm   Permalink

this is a little better shot.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 10:59 pm   Permalink

here's the barb part. almost finished. ancient mammoth tusk.

kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 11:11 pm   Permalink

Wow brah! Youve done some sweet ono kine work there! The Kahawai lure is looking good! Im excited to see the finished piece!!!
I sparked some of your other stuff bruddah and its pono!

Jammin...

Aloha auinala!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 11:28 pm   Permalink

mahalo nui loa!

the tiny part of the barb is gone. the gods said it no work. it's going to be more traditionally finished on the end. (smooth)

i hope i can lash it up right.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-04 1:40 pm   Permalink

well, here's some sunny pics. today is lash day. wish me luck.

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-04 1:54 pm   Permalink

Lookin' real good Perry. The materials all work together nicely. I've always wanted to tackle (har-har) one of these myself but haven't the patience to do the wood (or stone in my case) and shell laminate.
The black vs. natural binding is a matter of personal preference I guess. On a very traditional piece I would go with sinew for added authentitcity,but on a more contemporary one the black looks fine.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-04 4:38 pm   Permalink

thanks, paipo. yeah, i went with natural on this piece. first try at the lashing. i thinks it's okay considering it's the first time.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-04 5:45 pm   Permalink

Oh YEAH, Thats what I'm Talkin about. Sweet, Sweet Sweet!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation