FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Show us your record collection!
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-04 1:15 pm   Permalink

Cute artwork, fairly rare LP, and interesting music. "The Catamaran Serenaders" is actually Roy Smeck who was called "The Wizard Of The Strings." His steel guitar playing is very unique, almost cartoonish, very crazy.

Bing Crosby had a long association with Hawaii & Hawaiian music...his rendition of "Sweet Leilani" won a Grammy in 1937. This recording came much later, I'd say the 50s or 60s although I don't have a date on it. There orchestral arrangements by Nelson Riddle are beautiful and Bing's English language versions of a few noted Hawaiian songs are lovely.

I like the cover art and this is a rarity as well...on Glo Reccords...? The liner notes say Phil Corso (& The Maui Islanders) is a prominent recording artist for Glo Records. At any rate, the music's good too...some nice instr. & vocal renditions of War Chant, Four Islands (Na Moke Eha), Weave A Lei, Hawaiian Pickled Beats, etc...

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-04 1:23 pm   Permalink

Tony Conjugacion is a fantastic Hawaiian falsetto singer who has recorded many LPs & CDs throughout the years...love all his music. Pictured here is a radio station promo LP of a CASSETTE only release in the 1980s...selected for viewing because of the amazing mullet Tony used to sport.....ah, the 80s.

Another oddity....an Italian Hawaiian steel guitar group called "The Coconados" recorded probably a dozen LPs covering movie themes & pop tunes of the 60s & 70s. I have many of their LPs, but I particulary love this cover....I mean...a chili pepper lei?....so many implications.

Another Coconados LP...I just think this is a beautiful cover.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-04 1:35 pm   Permalink

A few LPs by Charles Bud Dant..not often seen, and both selected because I love the covers basically.

Those of you who have "The Surfmen" Hawaii LP might recognize this hula dancer all clad in red...here she is again in quadruples. Recorded shortly after statehood, this gem of an LP has two particularly great tracks "The 50th State Is A State Of Happiness," & "Hawaii Is The 50th Star In The Flag Of The U.S.A."

Charles K.L. Davis was a well-known local Hawaiian singer who sang on Broadway and recording several LPs both on the mainland & with local Hawaii record companies. I love this particular LP because it has very unusual orchestral arrangements by Henri Rene which were NOT appreciated in Hawaii. Back in the 80s when I worked at a Hawaiian music station in Honolulu, I programmed a few of these cuts in the playlist and always got the comments.."Love the singer, hate the arrangements." To each his own. Personally I find this rendition of "Waipio" or "Beyong The Rainbow" to be one of my favorites & I LOVE the beautiful counter melody Rene created which would NEVER be used by a Hawaiian group.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-04 1:44 pm   Permalink

Indonesian steel guitarist George De Fretes recorded many LPs in Europe. I particularly like this cover.

Here's a real Hawaiian oldie...Linda Dela Cruz had a long recording career in the islands both as a solo artist and as a member of the famous Halekulani Girls aka Alice Fredlund Serenaders. In one of her hard-to-find LPs, we see Linda & the gang serenading right on the beach..a great retro shot. She does a lot of falsetto singing and her music is always in "the real old Hawaiian style."

I have both the actual sound track from "Diamond Head", plus this "Music Inspired by" LP. Well, the LP was recorded before Diamond Head, no doubt, and reissued, as it's available in more than one title & jacket. The uncredited steel guitarists are Sam Makia & Hal Aloma & the music is beautiful! But it's the 1960s artwork on the jacket that really wins my vote!

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-04 2:15 pm   Permalink

One of the older budget label releases..."The Diamond Head Hula Boys." A nice mix of instrumental & Hawaiian vocals, but, again, the cover art...wow....could you say "the maiden was begging to be de-flowered?"

Nothing special about the jacket, but I present this as something to pick up if you ever come across it. A beautiful LP, falsetto singing, nice arrangements...they just don' make them like this anymore...and this was, I believe, his only full LP recording....why, I wonder?

Here's a French-Canadian steel guitarist, Leonard Duquette, who recorded a number of LPs covering pop tunes of the day. Some of the jackets were quite fetching.....

Finally today...an Australian steel guitarist, Rob E. G.. Man, this guy ROCKED the steel guitar...a very aggressive style. I've only come across two LPs by him, but I'll be looking for more!

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-09 3:08 pm   Permalink

From the NPR record sale a couple of weekends ago. $1.00 each, sorry about the duplicates...

Later!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-09 7:53 pm   Permalink

got some WINNERS there..with the possible exception of Hawaiian Ragtime

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-09 10:52 pm   Permalink

Wow...that was a MOTHERLOAD of asale for you! you got some GREAT stuff there...and I have to say, especially to get Baxter's Sacred Idol & Keack's Surfer's Paradise LPs for ONE DOLLAR?! That's a FIND and a half, man!

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 2:45 pm   Permalink

"The Family Tree"...I have no clue as to why these guys didn't become big recording artists on the Hawaii scene in the 60s/70s. This LP is an awesome blend of Hawaiian, pop, & Philippine songs done in tight vocal harmony jazz....just beautiful..total lounge. I believe this is their only recording.

Recorded on obscure "Sure Records" out of Philadelphia, organist Frank Ferrari recorded many, many LPs (judging from the adverts on the back of the jacket) and at LEAST two Hawaiian-themed LPs...actually pretty nice w/ steel guitar accompaniment. But I've included theme here mainly because I like the jackets.

What's not to like here?? "Bikinis & Bongos"..sure to be a hit. The group, Irving Fields Trio, also recorded "Pizza & Bongos", "Bagels & Bongos", and "Champagne & Bongos".

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 2:58 pm   Permalink

Here are a few foreign novelties...it's interesting how widespread the popularity of Hawaiian guitar has been in the past.
Here's one LP by "Tono Fuentes y su guitarra Hawayana", out of Colombia, South America. I have three volumes of his Hawaiian steel LPs..I have no clue how many he ended up recording.

Siggi "Hula" Gottschalk recorded out of Germany. Can I tell you how much I love this guys music? If you like The Waikikis, and Spongebob Squarepants-like Hawaiian music, you'll love this guy. I have two LPs by him, and, again, I have no clue what his output was. A combination of Euro-pop tunes & original "Hawaiian" songs.."Corsica", "Bahama Taxi", "Hawaiian Affair", "Akropolis Adieu", etc...great 60s/70s vibe..which I'm into, in case you didn't catch on to that..

I can't say I'm fond of this LP, but it's such a weird LP, I had to post it. It's a Greek record, of apparently Greek folk music, recorded with a traditional Greek ensemble with the addition of a Hawaiian guitar. The group is listed in English on the label as "Lani Hawains" (sp).

bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 6:39 pm   Permalink

not too tiki but SCORE-age @ under 5 bucks for ALL these ...TODAY

BB MoondoggyO
sweatin' to Quiet Village in AZ

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-19 7:51 pm   Permalink

I'm posting this as much to keep this thread going, as anything else. I've been posting my Hawaiian LPs in Tiki Finds. Should I be posting them here, instead? Anyway, this one's gonna get framed & hung in my pin-up bathroom.:

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 12:39 pm   Permalink

Another LP from Linda Dela Cruz & The Halekulani Girls....really beautiful cover I think.

Maybe this should have gone under "restaurant records." Berne'Hal-Mann performed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village's Shell Bar. Groovy.

An English group, "The Happy Hawaiians" recorded a few fun steel guitar LPs..mostly original compositions, which is what I like..."Wahoo Bay", "Beach Bossa", "Down On The Beach", etc. Love the torso shot with painted on flowers.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 12:42 pm   Permalink

Three UK/French LPs I post just because I really like the covers .....

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 12:51 pm   Permalink

An interesting UK LP....From the liner notes: "Listen to the music...the exciting Hawaii Five-O...the haunting Tamahine. And listen to the songs, sung by a young Filipino named Andy Lanai whose voice caresses the lyrics like waves caressing the shore..."

Well, how can you not love this Japanese gatefold LP featuring singer Teruko Hino modeling an assortment of the latest in Hawaiian resort fashion?? (Even if her voice is actually nasally and annoying...)

Another LP that's really a "restaurant record"...and a very FINE one. One of the orchestras that performed at Hotel Lexington's Hawaiian Room in NYC, George Hine's record features Johnny Coco as soloist on several cuts.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation