FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
Show us your record collection!
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 1:03 pm   Permalink

Harry Hougassian also recorded under the name "Harry Kalapana." He is (was..?) born in Greece and had a long career recording a lot of steel guitar music..Hawaiian, and other. He did a long series (I don't know exactly how many..maybe at least 12) LPs of "Hawaiian Guitar Around The World" LPs. You can run across some CDs of his material now &then...as "Harry Kalapana."I choose this LP to post because I love the great torso shot.

OK, well, one of the best record jackets EVER, right? LeRoy Holmes also recorded an LP I REALLY love..."50 Hawaiian Favorites"...50 tunes, many oddly obscure, crammed into 6 medleys...love it.

Just a great, old, and rare Hawaiian local pressing...featuring performers from the Hanalei Plantation on Kauai..The Holo Holo Trio & The Maka Trio..great stuff.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 1:14 pm   Permalink

A German group, "The Hula Hawaiians" are worth a listen. The Bear Family Co out of Germany has re-issued a good bit of their material on a CD that is something you should grab if you see it. They're very Waikikis, Sponge-Bob Squarepants with the German rigidness...interesting.

I love this record, musically. Some of the members of this group were also members of Crown Record's "The Polynesians", also some of the same musicians from Crescendo's LP & CD "Hukilau Hulas." "The Island-Aires" performed at "The Islander" Polynesian restaurant in Walteria, California. Cuts include "Night In Tahiti," "My Hawaiian Home," "Kumu In The MuuMuu," "Sand," etc.

An Australian dance band LP, I just LOVE this photograph. She's on a few different LPs with a slightly different pose.

Finally today..one of the STRANGEST "exotica" LPs ever, I think. "The Fugitive's" David Janssen reads a love gone wrong story on a "Hidden Island" to the accompaniment of original orchestral/choral songs. Side 2 features the musical selections by themselves. Very melodramatic.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 2:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-24 13:14, Kaiwaza wrote:
A German group, "The Hula Hawaiians" are worth a listen. The Bear Family Co out of Germany has re-issued a good bit of their material on a CD that is something you should grab if you see it. They're very Waikikis, Sponge-Bob Squarepants with the German rigidness...interesting.

I have to start looking for that album, I only have a 7'', that I like very much. I think they were preceding the Waikikis by about 10 years.

View Profile of Kawentzmann Send a personal message to Kawentzmann  Goto the website of Kawentzmann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 3:34 pm   Permalink

From today...

Later!

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-31 1:28 pm   Permalink

One of my personal favorite LPs....classy cover & classy music...it's very George Shearing w/ steel guitar. Sam Koki is the steel guitarist and ANYTHING by him is lovely and classy, and "William Kealoha" (perhaps a pseudonym for Koki) recorded several LPs with Forum. This one is best, though. Several upbeat cha-cha type numbers yet not "in your face."

Some 70's tiki & leisure wear action!

A definite rarity..."Ka Elekas Present A Love Story of Hawaii." A very typical Holiday Inn sort of lounge band ..I think this photo was taken at the Reef. Decades ago when I picked up this LP, I thought it was totally dreadful & unlistenable...but I've grown rather fond of so-so lounge acts & I kinda dig it now!

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-31 1:38 pm   Permalink

Both rare & beautiful Benny Kaneaiakala & His All-Star Orchestra turned out a FINE LP of Hawaiian dance band numbers..."Island Rendezvous", "Manuela Boy", "Waltz Medley" among others.

I really don't know why this private pressing didn't get more airplay & attention than it did..it's a great hapa-haole LP & features some heavy hitters assisting..Gabby Pahinui, Alvin & Norman Isaacs, and of course Sam Kahalewai. Would be a great CD re-release to garner some attention it never originally got.

The great cover speaks for itself. Kealoha Kalama is still around today, but she used to have regular shows at the Waikiki hotels in the 70s. She's one of those Hawaiian aunties known for wearing a veritable flower garden in her hair at all times. From this LP "E Huli Ho'i Mai" is is terrific song that has, to my knowledge NEVER been covered by anyone else and it's SUCH a great hula tune.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-31 1:46 pm   Permalink

Here's a budget "Crown" label LP that actually had a HIT SONG in Hawaii.."Hilo Bay." It is STILL heard today and was covered by well-known local group The Peter Moon Band in the 80s and both versions are still around on the airwaves. Richard Kauhi was greatly loved in Hawaii, but because it was a mainland issued release "Hawaiian Sunset" is virtually unknown and never seen, despite the "Hilo Bay" hit (strictly airplay). I actually prefer this LP to his better known material on local "Waikiki Records." At any rate, I would compare him to, say, Nat King Cole's jazzy period. Great stuff.

Japanese pop singer, now deceased, Yuzo Kayama, recorded both a Hawaiian & Tahitian LP, gatefold, with fantastic color picture booklets inside. It's great music as well, although in Japanese of course..full orchestras, chorus a very rousing theatrical Tahitian epic film-type number...love it.

Musically, nice & a bit 70s groovy in the arrangements..I mostly like the record jacket too.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-31 1:54 pm   Permalink

I've only seen this LP once & I grabbed it even though it's in terrible condition. I don't recall ever seeing an LP with a Leetag on the cover. Recorded in California on Whyte Records, Kiha Kinney plays jazz ukulele.."China Lime House Blues Medley", "Jungle Drums", "Southern Breeze", "Beach Boy Blues" etc.

The Kilima Hawaiian are a Dutch based Hawaiian group that's been around since, I think, the 30s or 40s. Tons of music by them and I included these two because I love the over pictures.. "Hawaii Tattoo" is just beautiful..the other is just..out of control..but I love it.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-31 1:58 pm   Permalink

Have you seen this film? If not, you really should...what exotica fan wouldn't want to see an early disaster film chronicling Krakatoa blowing it's top? It's on Netflix..

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-31 2:07 pm   Permalink

Today...

Just because!

Later

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-31 2:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-31 13:58, Kaiwaza wrote:
Have you seen this film? If not, you really should...what exotica fan wouldn't want to see an early disaster film chronicling Krakatoa blowing it's top? It's on Netflix..

I remember seeing it as a kid with my dad and being impressed. I rented it a couple of years ago, and boy is it a hack job of editing island scenery stock footage with close ups of actors who are nowhere near the real locations! Wish I was a young naive kid again...
I always remember Krakatoa because it blew up on my birthday....about 75 years before though.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-08-01 00:14 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-06 09:37 am   Permalink

Dammit! So much Hawaiian vinyl I've never seen...
While I try to contain my lust, I can post a few I've gotten lately -

A tourist 7":

and the back description -

And some way-pre-tiki Hawaiian tunes on Edison discs:
From 1924 -

and released in 1916 -

The 78's are neat to have, but the music is rather average. I think. It's actually pretty hard to hear properly through all the surface-noise.
Guess I'll hafta wait til they come out with USB-turntables with a 78RPM setting and steel-needle cartridge-heads before I can transfer & clean 'em!

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sleestak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-06 1:18 pm   Permalink

the one thing about those usb turntables and most modern systems is, if you hit both speeds at the same time, you have 78!!! try it out!

View Profile of sleestak Send a personal message to sleestak  Email sleestak Goto the website of sleestak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-07 09:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-31 13:58, Kaiwaza wrote:

The funny thing about this film's title is the fact that Krakatoa is WEST of Java...but that's Hollywood.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-07 6:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-06 13:18, sleestak wrote:
the one thing about those usb turntables and most modern systems is, if you hit both speeds at the same time, you have 78!!! try it out!

Tried it, didn't work! It's an Ion TTUSB10, mebbe they don't have that glitch.
All I could really do right now is plug my mic into the PC, stretch the cord across the room over to my 50's turntable/radio console & record as I blast it.
But I haven't had the energy. Tho' the way my 78's are piling up, I may make a project out of it some weekend...

And, around ten years back I gave my vinyl copy of this to a friend -

Just a while back she gave me her record collection and I got it back, which was cool as I always regretted giving it away (except for the fact that she enjoyed the hell out of it).
So awesome.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation