FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Show us your record collection!
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-08 3:31 pm   Permalink

Just a few more rarities today.
Nothing special about the music here, but love the artwork...and it's on a small label "Golden Crest" out of Huntington Station, NY.

Just plain groovy, man. A real ladies man singing "It's Not Unusual", "Honolulu, Wear Flowers For Me", "The Rising Surf", "Christianity". "Hey Jude" & more.

A rarity & a winner on all counts...Lani Kai was a local celebrity who, if you enjoy reruns, can often be spotted in various small parts on Hawaii Five-O. He also appeared on "Adventures in Paradise"..now if only I could SEE that show!
A real lady-killer, this LP is KILLER...great lounge vocal delivery and perfect Hawaiian-type arrangements..."Adventures In Paradise", "Seven Days In Waikiki", "Ring Around The Moon", etc..If you see it, GRAB it..it's worth it.

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2009-08-08 15:32 ]

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-08 3:43 pm   Permalink

Tony Lindsey & Friends were known in Hawaii for their "jukebox" favorites"Blue Darling" & "Indebted To You." They're a typical Hawaiian group, but I just especially like this record cover...the white with blue lei is uncommon and, well, with Diamond Head as a backdrop..it's just a pleasant image.

Those who are fans of the "Hukilau Hulas" CD re-issues and of "The Polynesians" LPs would be interested in this rare LP..I've only seen it once & snatched it. Bernie Kaai Lewis was a member of The Polynesians & was also on Hukilau Hulas. His voice is distinctive. This LP was recorded in California in the late 70s, I believe. It features a few standards & lots of originals.."Puka Shell Lei", "Opihi Shells", "My Hilo Girl", "My Hawaiian Home, etc.

Here's a head scratcher for me..I was working in Hawaiian radio when this LP came out in 1986 and it really went no where. Yet, these guys are fabulous...awesome harmonies, a great mix of popular local tunes at the time & hapa-haole numbers..."Polynesian Rhythm", "Echoes Of The South Pacific", "It's Paradise In Hawaii"...and what's NOT to love about pink polyester muumuus??!! These guys rock.

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2009-08-08 16:48 ]

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-08 3:57 pm   Permalink

Finally today..a few interesting entries from the classical realm....

Hawaii-born Dai-Keong Lee composed "The Polynesian Suite" featuring 3 movements : 1) Ori Tahitian, 2) Hula, 3) Festival. It was written in 1958, and performed in conjunction with statehood celebrations in 1960 by the Honolulu Symphony Orchestra.

Hungarian born composer wrote both "Mana Hawaii (The Spirit of Hawaii" and "Pacific Triptych" which stopped in Japan, Kauai & Tahiti. "Mana Hawaii" features several movements: "Worship to Kane", "Luau Festival On The Royal Grounds", "Anger Of Pele", "Sunny Nature/Happy Life" etc. Also in the jacket was a signed letter from the composer to to the program director of a Honolulu radio station (1965) thanking him for deciding to air the recording & asking his opinion of it.
Also, I can't go without mentioning the great cover art..the back jacket reads "Sculpture of the goddess Pele by Paul Fujimoto, carved in the Studios of Hardwoods Hawaii, Ltd. Honolulu.

twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-09 7:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-06 09:37, twitch wrote:

and released in 1916 -

...oops, forgot about this! You can actually hear this & the flip by going
here and here, albeit taken from the cylinder-editions...

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 2:36 pm   Permalink

OK...I was going through the "m"s today & there was quite a lot of stuff I wanted to post...but I'm trying to keep it to rarer material that I haven't seen often... So, here's a FEW...

A beautiful set...LP soundtrack from "Mutiny On The Bounty" and a nice hardcover color book with information & photos from the filming.

One often sees recordings by "Manuel & His Music Of The Mountains", an semi-exotic ez orchestra recording out of England..but I have very rarely seen THIS LP of his "Love Song From Mutiny On The Bounty & Other Songs Of The Islands"..and it seemed like such a natural. Interestingly, his name isn't even listed on the front jacket, only on the back & record label..go figure. "Love Song Of Tahiti", given English lyrics here, is particularly nice.

A trip down memory lane for islanders, here's a live recording of the Molokai Trio live from the Hotel Molokai circa 1970s. It has a beautiful gatefold with photos from "the Friendly Isle" & the hotel.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 2:47 pm   Permalink

A nice romantic lounge singer who performed in various venues, here shown on Maui. From the liner notes "Presently, Jimmy stars nightly in the Discovery Room of Sheraton-Maui, a new destination resort hotel on the white sandy beach of Kaanapali, where he is also Front Desk Manager." Man, he must have gotten sick of THAT place...I certainly hope he was paid for BOTH positions.. At any rate, Jimmy Moikeha beautifuly sings "Rainbows of Love", "And So For Now Aloha", "Hawaiian Wedding Song" and more.

Sterling Mossman recorded a few LPs on Decca & was quite a well-known local celebrity. I like this cover. Fun hapa-haole music.

Lena Machado was a wildly popular falsetto singer back in her day and her recordings have lived on, still being played today. However, NO ONE seems to know about this Harmony LP. It features different versions of some of her most popular songs and I honestly PREFER these versions...as has every Hawaiiana person who has listened to it. "My Sweet Gardenia Lei" is my favorite.

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2009-08-12 14:50 ]

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 3:04 pm   Permalink

Sam Makia played a mean steel guitar...however, as opposed to the aggressive "Brady Bunch gone wild" approach I often like, his was the extremely emotional, quivering, "my dog just died" style...and it's beautiful. An oddity, this "How To Hula At Home" LP comes with a single sheet demonstrating the movements for "Love Hula Hands." However, the entire LP is instrumental....and since the hula is an interpretation of the lyrics, in Hawaii, one doesn't hula to instrumentals...hum..

This is a BEAUTIFUL LP by Sam Makia...probably the most beautiful instrumental of "Sea Breeze/Puamana" EVER. It has been release under a few different titles & covers, but I present this because I rather like this sort of psychedelic jacket. But seriously, if you see anything by Sam Makia..get it.

I will occasionally have a vivid dream where I'm in some old or strange area of an unknown city and come across a huge old thrift/junk store. Some thousand year old owner says "Oh yeah, there are TONS of old records upstairs..please, take what you want..like .50 a piece." And I go up & find a WAREHOUSE of dusty old LPs, start going thru them & start finding Hawaiian/exotica records that I NEVER heard of, had NO IDEA existed and, in fact, seem too strange to be real. My heart is palpitating, my palms all sweaty..I finding TONS of stuff. Eventually, I'll pull a really odd one out, that seems just TOO strange to be real..and in a lucid moment, I realize it CAN'T be real, and I am, in fact, dreaming..and I have one sad moment looking around the warehouse of fake records, before I awake.
I tell this story, because for me..this is ONE of those LPs that I would have thought COULD NOT exist in reality..I mean the title is "Hawaiian Exotics: Adventures of Steel Guitars" by Poss Miyasaki & The Hawaiian All-Stars...can't be real, right? And there are North American totems on the cover...it just CAN'T be real...and yet it is...and it's a great album to..two steel guitars, wordless "ohhing" chorus, great stuff..and I'm totally awake!

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 3:16 pm   Permalink

England's Felix Mendelssohn recorded many lovely songs, lps, and several have been reissued on CD. I just think this is a great cover, don't you?

Hawaiian music makes it's way to Argentina...sort of. Ever heard a "Hawaiian steel guitar" version of "Nights In White Satin"? It's here. Again, a rare record, but I like the trippy jacket.

Lastly today, this is not allthat rare of a record, but when I was a child, my neighbor had a copy of this LP & I used to borrow it regularly. This is a desert isle disc for me...the music is awesome..THREE steel guitars & xylophone going full blast with very 1959 arrangements..the best "Cockeyed Mayor of Kauanakakai" EVER. Most of all though, the photograph on this LP will forever be etched into my mind as an absolute ICON of exotic South Sea imagery...the huge conch shell, the sunset reflecting on her face & body and how absolutely beautiful & Polynesian looking this woman is, her detached look..it's just awesome...it's truly iconic for me. In all my 2,000 LPs I think THIS is my favorite cover art. Oddly, btw, their followe up LP "Hawaiian Punch" sucked the big one...different producer ruined it completely.

Kon-Tiki Viking
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-17 9:18 pm   Permalink

Just discovered this very cool thread....some amazing covers !! Here's a few of my favorites...hope they haven't all been shown already.

View Profile of Kon-Tiki Viking Send a personal message to Kon-Tiki Viking      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Tiki Viking
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-17 9:49 pm   Permalink

A few more in the Hawaiian/Tropical style....

View Profile of Kon-Tiki Viking Send a personal message to Kon-Tiki Viking      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 3:07 pm   Permalink

Going through some more LPs today....

A hip 70s lounge act singing at the White Whale Lounge of the Kuilima Hotel...Hawaiian numbers, plus "La Bamba", "Comeseibella", etc. This LP actually got some airplay through the 1980s.

Here's an LP I love "Salina V: Dreams of Tahiti" by The Olomo Hawaiians...I can only assume a European instrumental group with wild steel guitars playing such songs as "Oh My Darling Clementine" (It totally works), "Hawaiian Patrol" and a killer version of Hawaiian War Chant entitled "Safari Of Hawaii"...what's not to love here?

Jim Nabors, aka "Gomer Pyle" lived (is still living..?) in the islands for many years and had a long running Waikiki show. These are selections from his "Polynesian Extravaganza" show, probably sold before/after performances.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 3:16 pm   Permalink

This LP seems to go for a FORTUNE whenever it appears on ebay. I guess because it's a budget label release that seems to be quite rare. I suspect because most people listened to it & threw it away...can't say I like it much, but it's interesting..I can't quite figure out where the photo was taken.

My favorite Harry Owens release...why has this never been re-issued on cd? It's fantastic! All the songs were written for a television series "Polynesia Holiday" that apparently never made it to the airwaves...or did it? I've never heard anything about it. At any rate, I absolutely love the music here..so many crazy fully orchestrated original vocals "Tradewind", "Bora Bora", "Come Back To Rarotonga", "Cruel Relentless Sea" & more.

Frans Van Oirschot is a European steel guitarist (still kicking I believe) who recorded as a solo artist & a member of many groups, often uncredited. His LPs aren't found often in the states & I put this LP just to sort of "represent" him. It's a lovely photo of somewhere..not Hawaii certainly, but somewhere..

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 3:24 pm   Permalink

Here's a Japanese steel guitarist..S. Ohashi & His Honey Islanders. Love the cover photo here. He also recorded "Steel Guitar in Italy"...interesting.

Well, we all knew about the Bossa Nova..but who knew there was a Hula Nova? Well, apparently only Mr. Walter Pohakulani O'Kert. Not the strongest singer..but pretty cool nonetheless, lounging his way through the title track, "Black Sands of Kalapana", "Hula Eyes", "Nightingale", "Cool Head Main Thing", etc.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 8:11 pm   Permalink

hey I know a Dave Pike,
wonder if its the same guy?

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Tiki Viking
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-19 4:03 pm   Permalink

Hi Kaiwaza,
Love that Surf N' Bongos cover......looks like the photo was taken at the same time as this one featuring Diamond Head in the background....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation