FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Show us your record collection!
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-30 05:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-27 08:53, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
I have much of the common Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, and Les Baxter, both Robert Drasnin Voodoo's, but on vinyl, I have a few unusual items. A mint copy of Dominic Frontiere's "Pagan Festival," which I love, Dick Shory's New Percussion Ensemble "Music for Bang Baaroom and Harp," also mint, which is not as cool, and "Felix Slatkin Conducts Fantastic Percussion," also mint, which I do like quite a lot.

Yes, the Dominic Frontiere album "Pagan Festival" is very nice. Very much in the vein of Les Baxter's "Sacred Idol" LP. It is also available on CD from the Collectables label.

Another album you may enjoy is Frank DeVol's "Bacchanalle" album. This was entirely composed by Leon Pober and sounds very much like the above two albums. This is also available on CD.

Anything by Bobby Christian is worth picking up. He was a percussionist for Dick Schory before breaking out on his own. They are a lot more creative and inventive.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: jeff central 2007-07-01 04:16 ]

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-30 5:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-27 05:12, I, Zombie wrote:
Here's what I've got up online:

A bunch of favorite LPs can be seen here: http://www.jetsetplanet.com/gallery/

Also galleries at http://www.kfai.org/node/94 (half way down the page there are some gallery links), and individual covers for each week's show (click on the "more" buttons in the "previous shows" section).

~glen

Niiiiiice. I need about a good third of those albums. (And I don't mean want, I mean need!)

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-30 10:36 pm   Permalink

I have seen record stores with less records than Jeff central.
In fact his record bins are from a music store. Jeff you are the man.
You know more about these records/musicians than I do about my own family.
You are the exotica master.
Thank you for showing me your collection.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-01 02:21 am   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words tikiskip. You are welcome over anytime.

Record collecting is an infectious disease. I have just learned to live with it and use it to help others discover music as well. Believe it or not, there are many other collectors/geeks out there with just as much knowledge, if not more so, than myself.

It also helps to have a real strong passion for music. Sometimes I can throw a record on and literally start crying because the music is so beautiful.

That's why I collect records.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2007-07-01 04:27 ]

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-07-02 5:47 pm   Permalink

You asked for it .... so here is my record collection. I don't know how many records I have, but they cover about 80 linear feet of space. I've tried to label certain sections, so you can get some idea of where my tastes lie. Many of these I purchased mainly for the covers.

Follow the color coding, to get a taste of what goes in in a crazed, lunatic mind. Believe it or not, each section is alphabetized, by artist.

1) 1960's rock - garage, surf, and other in the rock genre
2) 1970's/1980's rock/pop stuff, with my punk LPs mixed in. The music I was listening to in high school and college years
3) Wacky Christian Religous covers (with coconut monkeys in front)
4) Wacky Spoken Word and Instruction LPs
5) Mostly Polka records, some classical with cool covers

6) My 1950's section -- Sinatra, Prima, Bellafonte, Three Suns, torch singers, etc
7) Xmas Records

6 ) more 50's LPs
7) Xmas Records (same ones as above)
8 ) Jazz LPs (lots of jazz mixed in with other sections
9 ) My Exotica/Polynesian/Hawaii section .... anyone want to scan these for me?

7) More Xmas records
10) Latin, Caribbean, and Cuban Music
11) Twist LPs
12) Folk Records
13) 1960's Music (EZ listening, Now Sound, other groovy sounds)
14) Belly Dancing LPs
15) James Bond Music
16) Movie and Television Soundtracks
17) Country (mostly from the 60's)
18) Comedy Records
19) Stereo Test and Sound Effects Records
20) Children's Records
21) 1970's, 80's and beyond Rock Overflow
22) Cha Cha records
23) Odd stuff ( Mummer's Parade Music, Marching Band LPs, Lps without discs)

The above is what happens when you mix a new house with lots of free space in the basement, and approximately 15 years of thrift store shopping, starting in 1992, when people were ditching vinyl like crazy. 96% of these records were purchased for $1 or less

My retirement plan involves having the free time so I can actually sit and listen to this stuff.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-02 8:31 pm   Permalink

Great collection vern!
vinyl is so cool.
The covers, liner notes.
You don't get that with cds.
Plus how ya going to put a zipper on a cd.
ie Stones album.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-02 11:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-02 17:47, ikitnrev wrote:
The above is what happens when you mix a new house with lots of free space in the basement, and approximately 15 years of thrift store shopping, starting in 1992, when people were ditching vinyl like crazy. 96% of these records were purchased for $1 or less

Holy Cow! What a pile of vinyl. And the way you've cataloged stuff is just perfect. Thanks for sharing!

glen

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 04:42 am   Permalink

WOW!!!!!

Awesome collection Vern. Thanks for posting the pictures and for the brief descriptions of categorization! Boy, I would love to sit down and go through that small goldmine you have. Show and Tell would be great for that record collection!!!

It would take another lifetime just to listen to everything!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 06:24 am   Permalink

wow vern, I'd love to see your collection. Impressive.
Just a question : what's "Wacky Christian Religous covers (with coconut monkeys in front)"

Can you show some covers ??

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-07-03 09:00 am   Permalink

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Virani -- When I refer to wacky Christian LPs, I am usually referring to the outfits that the various singing religous groups are wearing on the LP cover. I'm sure that most of the music on the discs is harmonious and sedate, but the front covers are often amazing in their 1970's polyester leisure-suit glory. The coconut monkeys were referring to two actual 3-D coconut monkeys, that were sitting on the floor in front of the LPs.

About three years ago, most of the above records were in complete random order - I was more into chaos then, and liked the idea of pulling a few Lps out, and having no idea what they would be. When I finally got things ordered, I realized I had about 350 duplicate Lps, and in one case, inadvertly owned 4 copies of the same LP.

From 1995 - 2000, I edited a zine, based on old records, that was titled 'Cannot Become Obsolete' I hope to put the contents of those zines onto the web someday - not sure of when I will get around to it. Be patient, and you will hopefully someday see some of my covers, with accompanying essays.

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-05 8:48 pm   Permalink

Vern, I am jealous. I'm betting you've got many gems I'd drool over...
BTW, here's a pic of my own wall of sound...

I'd do a circle-the-genre-thingie but it's so damn hot here I can barely peck out these letters...

Oh, and here's an example of a wacky christian cover -

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-07 08:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

Oh, and here's an example of a wacky christian cover -

This reminds me of something I wish I had a picture of. I was in San Juan, Puerto Rico, walking by El Morro, the big old Spanish fort. In the armpit of the fort grounds, there is a neighborhood called La Perla. It's quite a ghetto, but it's the oldest neighborhood in San Juan. I heard what appeared to be a sound check for an imminent live performance, and went to investigate. Sure enough, there was a small bandstand and some musicians there, arranged in front of a large banner that read, "(Can't remember the guy's name), Ex-Narcotraficante y su Orquestra."

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forumguy13

Posted: 2008-05-10 2:06 pm   Permalink

I found a website www.dougsqccollectibles.com and this guy has over 100,000 records of all types and sizes. He doesn't have a whole lot listed yet, but I emailed him and he had everything I was looking for.

www.dougsqccollectibles.com

View Profile of forumguy13 Send a personal message to forumguy13  Goto the website of forumguy13     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 11:29 pm   Permalink

Here is a small sample of my 100's of records, 100's of cassetes and couple thou cd's, which I know is nuttin' compared tah sum of yuh all.

img]http://tikiroom.com/img/852x4519aafe.jpg[/img]

ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-28 02:28 am   Permalink

Ok, this is one wall of the record room, which is about 1/3 of the lp's. On the left hand side of this photo, you can just make out that those are records crates stacked on top of each other. On another wall are pull out wooden drawers of Dave's collection of 7"'s.

Some where on TC I already put up some of these pictures but not sure where?

Our exotica and space age vinyl is just a small segment of our collecting passion.

This one we found yesterday and we love the cheese cake Cover.

We also have a shed out back that is filled to the brim of LP's that will not go into the main collection. They will be going into a store shortly for sale. Our personal collection is approximately 11,000 records, and we have approximately 20,000 in the shed. The majority of our collection is KBD PUNK, HARDCORD, PSYCH, JAZZ, 60'S ROCK and various other rare vinyl.

Sorry in my first post here, the photos of a few of yesterdays finds were blurry, so I went back and tried again. So here you go.

We picked up about 15 albums yesterday, these are probably the best. It wasn't a great day for sales because of the weather. I also picked up a great bar ware set that I'll post a photo of under vintage bar ware.

[I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy]
Although, I probably could you one.
MYSPACE

[ This Message was edited by: tikipaka 2008-10-26 13:26 ]

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Cleaned up some "edited by"s - 2011-12-11 22:37 ]

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation