FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Show us your record collection!
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-19 7:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-18 20:11, bigtikidude wrote:
hey I know a Dave Pike,
wonder if its the same guy?

Jeff(btd)

Is this how one properly plays the vibes?

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-20 4:24 pm   Permalink

From last week...

Later!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-21 05:43 am   Permalink

Some good stuff there,Psycho. Tommy Garrett did two Hawaiian lps that I know of. I like both of them.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-21 10:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-21 05:43, Kailuageoff wrote:
Some good stuff there,Psycho. Tommy Garrett did two Hawaiian lps that I know of. I like both of them.
KG

Both of Garrett's Hawaiian albums are available on CD too from the Collectables label but I like vinyl better!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Tiki Viking
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-21 1:01 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Kon-Tiki Viking Send a personal message to Kon-Tiki Viking      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Tiki Viking
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-21 1:26 pm   Permalink

Staying with a "tropical" theme.....

View Profile of Kon-Tiki Viking Send a personal message to Kon-Tiki Viking      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-22 2:59 pm   Permalink

From today...

Later!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 4:22 pm   Permalink

What the heck is that Sacramento Band LP? Is that a musical entitled "Hawaii 69"...or maybe they made a trip to Hawaii & recorded their concert? Is it Hawaiian music? Interesting....& BTW, I really LOVE the music on that William Kealoha "Hawaii" LP..perfect for the cocktail set.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 8:28 pm   Permalink

Boy! I haven't found a whole lot of Tiki lately, but the LPs are falling into my lap:

All for the paltry sum of a buck apiece!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 2:52 pm   Permalink

Going thru the LPS..a few more rarities/novelties...

"The Paradise Polynesian Show" under the direction of Billy Gonsales (Paradise Serenaders) was performed at some major Waikiki Hotels and regularly at Sea Life Park. Some more developed harmonies than usually heard in such productions. ...a nice rendition of "Show Me How To Do The Hula."

I don't think the music is anything that special here..just the standards played on Spanish (not Hawaiian) guitar by New Zealand Artist Peter Posa..but it's a nice cover & I've rarely seen this LP anywhere.

Here's a lovely, seldom seen instrumental LP, one side by Johnny Pineapple, the other by Andy Iona. I like this also because it features nearly ALL original compositions...I mean, one how many renditions of "Sweet Leilani" does one realistically need?.. "Make Believe Island Of Dreams", "On A Heavenly Isle In Tahiti", "Along The Pineapple Trail" etc. Relaxing, and a beautiful cover.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 2:59 pm   Permalink

Can I just tell you how much I LOVE this LP? Medleys of Latin tunes by a groovy Hawaiian combo. He's not credited, but the steel guitarist sounds like Billy Mure..a sharp, aggressive style here.

Again, the music is fairly standard full orchestra with steel guitar covering mostly pop tunes..an English LP...but one I've seldom run across. A rarity, I guess. Love her caftan.

George Paoa was a fabulous Hawaiian vocalist, very jazz oriented, and he recorded a number of popular LPs and got a lot of air play on the Hawaiian radio stations. This is one his earlier LPs and I selected it because, obviously, of it's beautiful cover art. "Ola'a Beauty", "Welcome Malihini", "Crushed Flowers", "There Goes Kealoha", etc.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 3:07 pm   Permalink

There seems to be some interest in this artist at Tiki Central..although I think his music is not very listenable, personally. I've only seen this LP once, and I bought it. According to the liner notes, not only is Paul Page a talented musician & dj..he's also a talented painter (I'll let you be the judge on that) as he painted this LPs cover..which, btw, features the lovely Elanor Leveloff, wife of the owner of the Turf Club, one of America's finest restaurants.
As if that weren't enough, on the back is an add for another of Mr. Pages fine recording efforts "Your Astrology Record" on one side and the "Song of The Month" on the other. An man of many talents.
This Paul Page LP features "Ten Years On A Tropical Isle", "It's All Wicky Wacky In Hawaii", and a unusual rendition of "Barcarolle" called "Blue Lagoon".

A LP featuring chants converted into songs...some more successful than others, but a lovely LP to look at while playing..

Mega-strangeness. Indian film hits on Hawaiian guitar. I can dig it, but only one side at a time.

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2009-08-27 15:24 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2009-08-29 13:02 ]

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 3:15 pm   Permalink

Popular local pianist, Rene Paulo had a long career recording many LPs and performing all around the islands. I think most of us here at Tiki Central are familiar with his awesome Black Coral LP and cover. This is one of his rarer LPs and really one of his best..very polite cocktail jazz renditions of TRUE Hawaiian classics.

Recorded in Argentina, "Poly Y Su Guitarra Hawaiana" produce an amazing output of steel guitar LPs..maybe 15 or 16 or even more...LPs that featured all boleros, all tangos, etc. Here is Poly no doubt cashing in on the popularity of the international hit "Hawaii Tattoo" by Belgiums "The Waikikis". This just screams 1960s.

The Paradise Serenaders were a beloved vocal group here in Hawaii. Their songs were frequently heard on the airwaves & they have a lovely CD compilation out. Great harmonies, cool arrangements of Hawaiian numbers, their outfits here give you the definate vibe of the music. Grab anything you come across by them.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 3:22 pm   Permalink

Finally today, well known Indonesian/European steel guitarist Coy Pereira in his LP from Canada's Maple records..who recorded a beautiful series of about a dozen Hawaiian LPs called the "Sweet Sweet Steel Guitar Series." Again, even in this series, this LP is one I seldom have come across.

Well, they misspelled his name (Goy), but this is a BEAUTIFUL record featuring all "Krontjong" songs (Indonesian/Malaysian romantic folk songs) in a lush steel guitar style...a beauty.

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-28 2:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-23 16:22, Kaiwaza wrote:
What the heck is that Sacramento Band LP? Is that a musical entitled "Hawaii 69"...or maybe they made a trip to Hawaii & recorded their concert? Is it Hawaiian music? Interesting....& BTW, I really LOVE the music on that William Kealoha "Hawaii" LP..perfect for the cocktail set.

Kaiwaza,

The Sacramento High School Band LP was recorded in Sacramento.

Side One: 1. Taste of Honey 2. Gigue 3. Watermelon Man.

Side Two: 1. Fall Out 2. Austera 3. Rodgers and Hart Medley performed by the combined bands of Sacramento State College and Sacramento High School for two stage bands.

Only found these three today...

Later,

PTD

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation