FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Show us your record collection!
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-30 1:11 pm   Permalink

Most of today's are repeat finds...to be sold at my Tiki Garage Sale next month...

Later!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-30 1:46 pm   Permalink

A garage sale at PTDs?!! That would be worth a trip. Wish I lived closer. The early birds will probably be camped out in front for days.

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-03 3:04 pm   Permalink

Doing some more filing/realphabetizing today....

Boyce Rodrigues, member of a famous singing family in Hawaii, sang for many years with the "Hawaii Calls" radio shows. Here's a solo LP from 1976, quite nice with the standard Hawaiian/hapa-haole tunes of the day...but I am digging the vest & long sleeve aloha shirt, yeah?

This is just a fairly rare & beautiful real Hawaiian recording of children's songs written by well-known composers Alice Namakelua & Mary Kawena Puku'i and sung by Nina, Lani, Lehela (aka The Rodrigues Sisters) in some absolutely lovely harmonies.

Out of this world cover and some beautiful tracks..most notably "Easter Isle", "Sea of Dreams" and a hypnotic version of "Drifting & Dreaming."

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-03 3:16 pm   Permalink

I've never come across the original recording, but thank god the folks at "Steel Guitar Vintage Classics" in Concord, CA reissued this gem. One of my absolute favorite Hawaiian LPs...VERY exotic arrangements with steel guitar.."Wind Chimes", "Lonely Isle", "Lovely Luana"..I mean, I don't know why this LP isn't more well known in exotica circles. Someone should really do a CD re-issue.

I have sentimental attachments to this LP as when I was a kid I mail ordered it from some music clearance place we used to get catalogs from...what was that? Music Central Clearing House or something..my grandpa & I both ordered plenty of LPs from there back in the day. Here's "A Musical Cruise From Hawaii To Hong Kong" by "The Royal Polynesian Island Orchestra" (and it WAS a full orchestra, not just a small combo)...although I have to laugh when I think of it..what a full orchestra of Rarotongan Islanders? Anyway..all originals.."Flowers On The Water", "Dance Of The Natives", "Polynesian Paradise" a rousing disaster tone poem "Typhoon" and others.

This LP is just strange..but in a good & interesting way. No, it isn't standard native Tahitian music. It's a European/American style full orchestra with chorus playing jazzed-up tamoure songs..there are drums, there are xylophones, there are people massacuring lyrics...it's beautiful.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-03 3:19 pm   Permalink

This LP has been issued at least twice. I think first as "Percussive Pineapples"..a great title...but, how can you not LOVE an LP jacket with an exploding volcano on it? So, "Hawaiian War Chant" wins by a lava flow.

Finally today, 2 LPs not notable for their music, which is fairly standard fare..but they are UK releases that I've seldom run across and I think "Golden Hawaiian" has a particularly nice jacket.

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-04 2:32 pm   Permalink

Kaiwaza,

I appreciate the information you are providing with the albums you post. I am so behind on listening to the albums I have found that I am looking to your posts for suggestions on which to listen first. Thanks!

Not many new stacks of records to look through today, but I did manage a couple of new ones...

This one is different, a smaller EP from a place called Honey's in Dukes at the International Marketplace.

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-05 11:02 am   Permalink

Wow..PDT,
THat Taste of Honey's record is quite interesting..I've NEVER seen that before. Who knew?

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-06 12:55 pm   Permalink

Kaiwaza,

Do you know anything about "Honey's"?

Found four more today...

Later,

PTD

twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-06 7:21 pm   Permalink

A neat li'l 7'' here -

So about two years ago I pick up Hui Ohana's Ono at a thrift. I get home and - lame! the wrong album's inside. But actually not so bad, as it's some compilation on Waikiki records, which is always a good label.

However, I quickly shelve it w/o a listen as I'm backed up with other vinyl I'm sorting through and promptly forget about it.
Last week I pick this up at a thrift -

I get home, take out the vinyl:

It was like in those cheap cartoon gags where in the final panel the guy's feet are up in the air as he's knocked back from something outrageous the other character said. Like getting whacked with a skillet or something. Man, was I laughing!
Too damn weird, but sweet!!
Think I'm gonna keep these beside each other with the LP's still unswitched, just for a reminder...

[ This Message was edited by: twitch 2009-09-06 19:24 ]

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-07 1:20 pm   Permalink

Wow...Twitch..that is surreal. I
mean, seriously, what are the chances of that happening?? I've had the experience many times of running across something really interesting..then, yeah, it's the wrong LP inside or the LP is missing altogether. Ugh.

And to Psycho, I don't really know anything about Honey's. I didn't arrive in Hawaii until 1981 and either it was already gone or not on my radar at all. And there seems to be preciously little info about it floating around. Perhaps it was a short lived operation.

Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-09 7:14 pm   Permalink

Let the innuendos begin......

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 12:31 pm   Permalink

Fantastic cover....what is the music like?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 6:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-10 12:31, bigbrotiki wrote:
Fantastic cover....what is the music like?

Bigbro,
It's all old Navy sea shanties. Bascially one guy singing and playing a banjo. My dad, who is a WWII Vet loved it!
Yes, great cover, and apparently there are two more LPs in the series according to the liner notes: The Wild Blue Yonder - Air Force and Tell it to the Marines.

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-10 6:58 pm   Permalink

Nice score! Gad, been lookin for that one for awhile...

However, found a copy of Martin Denny's Hypnotique finally at a thrift, couple of split spines but can't complain as I've never seen a copy up here before this...
And these two -

and a cool little 7" with attached booklet -

four songs by different artists and the story of the Maori with full-page pics of a family in the native dress doing everyday things.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-11 08:47 am   Permalink

The Oscar Brand LP is one cool cover! I've seen it sold on eBay where it's mentioned that the model is Bettie Page. I've looked real close at my copy and it does indeed look quite a bit like her but I'm not 100% convinced. Can anyone else confirm or deny the rumor?

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation