FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
Show us your record collection!
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-11 11:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-11 08:47, cheeky half wrote:
The Oscar Brand LP is one cool cover! I've seen it sold on eBay where it's mentioned that the model is Bettie Page. I've looked real close at my copy and it does indeed look quite a bit like her but I'm not 100% convinced. Can anyone else confirm or deny the rumor?

Definitely NOT a Betty page cover!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-11 2:39 pm   Permalink

Today's finds...

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-13 12:58 pm   Permalink

From today...

Later!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 12:35 am   Permalink

I love that Crown label Sounds of a Thousand Strings "Magic of Hawaii" LP. Such a dark, moody thing for a luau record. It's been reissued on CD (in the 80s) in some wierd alternate version where the wordless chorus & limited steel guitar has been completely removed. On CD it's called "Relax With Blue Hawaii" by The Wai Ki Ki Island Orchestra. I see it on ebay rarely from time to time..just saw it yesterday. again. It's all totally standards except "Dark Dawn" and I've spent years thinking "It MUST be some other Hawaiian song using that fake title", but I never could place it. Recently, I've learned quite by accident (seeing it on another artists LP) that, in fact, "Dark Dawn" is a Duke Ellington composition. Obviously a lesser known song..I wonder if it has lyrics?

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-18 1:39 pm   Permalink

Just found one today I didn't have...

From Radio Station KKUA in Honolulu Hawaii is this Home Grown album of local talent.

Later,

PTD

Dr. Zarkov
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-18 3:11 pm   Permalink

I wish I could match some of these magnificent collections, but I deliberately chose storage furniture that conceals my collections of CDs and LPs so as not to distract attention away from the other art and decorations.

See here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drzarkov/2303138830/ These green drawer units can hold up to 4,400 CDs (I only have about half that) and leave the walls free for art work.

The wooden floor-standing cabinets you see on the right here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drzarkov/2303115352/ are ones I bought years ago to hold my LP collection. You should be able to tell that these Danish Modern units (actually imported all the way from Denmark in the 1980s) have doors that conceal the insides, which include strong shelves that have never warped or bent under the weight of several hundred LPs, which I can't say was true for some of the cheap bookshelves I used before I bought these.

I apologize for not inserting the photos into my reply, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

View Profile of Dr. Zarkov Send a personal message to Dr. Zarkov      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-20 3:45 pm   Permalink

Today' finds...

Later,

PTD

tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-25 4:46 pm   Permalink

Look what made the lp cover of the week! And it's hanging on the living room wall. This photo is from a previous post

And this is from lp cover lover for lp of the week..
Sep 20, 2009 ... “Wailin' with Winnie” Winnie

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-02 2:42 pm   Permalink

Today's finds...

Later,

PTD

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-03 1:15 pm   Permalink

If you don't have any Wout Steenhuis in your collection, well...you should! LOL. I didn't even KNOW about this guy until about 5 or 6 years ago when I got an LP of his off ebay. He's was a Dutch steel guitarist who recorded out of the U.K. in the 1960s & 70s and this guy just KILLS IT on steel guitar> A fairly aggressive style, lots of jazz work, and many, many original compositions. I have about a dozen of his LPs now and I can't believe his material hasn't been reissued on CD..it's really great stuff.
I love this LP because it demonstrates how, in the South Seas, heavy woven bath towels are day wear.

Another Wout Steenhuis LP. I add this one here because it is one of the more interesting. The songs are all inspired by Indonesian folksongs, some specifically using Gamelan-style harmonies...it's tres-exotique..not like anything else in my collection. titles include "Jungle Sleep", "Full Moon", "Pacific Paradise", "Jungle Bird", etc. Beautiful and strange.

I like this jacket, as this hula lady is either performing at the edge of a desert, or the world widest beach...where's the ocean?? Danny Stewart performed as backup musician for many, many Hawaiian LPs and recorded several solo primarily instrumental LPs...not partcularly crazy about his style, personally, as it's rather "plucky" but all the LPs are heavy on original compositions, which I always enjoy..this one includes ""The Waikiki Hula", "Lovely Island Of Hawaii", "Hawaiian Mermaid", "My Hula Star" etc.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-03 1:23 pm   Permalink

Another Danny Stewart LP...this one speaks for itself. How can you NOT love a pink LP jacket with a hula girl gazing into a stuffed bird??

The Surfers had a long recording career here in the islands. I've seen some of their material reissued on CD by a Japanese firm and also on an UK CD, but nothing stateside...outside of their last 1980s LP that was put on CD locally. Since they guys were all young good-looking Hawaiians they were usually all featured in some state of undress on their record jackets, which were ALL very colorful. Obviously, I like this one for the tiki action.

A re-issue of Surfers material....I'm ALL for anyone going "a go-go."

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-03 1:31 pm   Permalink

Yngve Stoor, a steel guitarist, had a radio program in Sweden for many years and during his career recorded something like 10,000 "Hawaiian" LPs...seriously, this enclosed discography seems endless "Bloomman Fran Hawaii", "Bla Lagun", "Mot Honolulu Strand", "Paradison", and 9,999 other LPs. I have a three of his LPs and that's enough. It's all very Swedish sounding (oddly) and the vocals are pretty weak & ruin them for me. But, it's an interesting spin on the old turntable once in a while...yah?

Nothing remarkable about the music..typical small dance orchestra..but it's a rare LP from Australia. Besides...who spends the WEEKEND in Hawaii?

You know, here's a country act that really scored a HOME RUN on recording a Hawaiian LP. I mean, this record is just beautiful and there a few songs "Pali Wind", "Stars Above Hawaii", "Hawaiian Lullaby" that I WISH some current Hawaiian artist would pick up & cover because they are quite lovely. If you like "The Polynesians" or your "Hulikau Hula" CD, pick this LP up when you see it, because it's a similar style & harmony..very nice.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-03 1:47 pm   Permalink

OK, I think amongst my 2,000 Hawaiian/exotica LPS this one has to take the cake for being the most bizarre. I've posted it sideways so you can see the artwork a bit better, which , for some unknown reason, was printed sideways on the slipcover. It's called "Clayton Scott "Kalakona Koka" Delights You With Six Faces Of Hawaii - Plus Two"..WHATEVER the heck THAT is supposed to mean. Recorded in Brockton, Mass in 1979. A few of the songs have more than one rendition..once a female vocal, then an almost Elvis-type male vocal. Nearly every Hawaiian word is completely massacred....tracks include "Waimea Thunder", "Hawaiian Dreams-Kakalina", "Hawaii Hula Maiden-Kanoelani", "Hawaii Hula Wahine-Beverly", "Surf's Up At Waikiki", "Hawaii Hula Maiden-Kauilani", etc. It's bad..but bad enough to be good...you know, a lounge act that "thought they were going somewhere", maybe. It's the kind of record you put on the turntable when friends over, not telling them what it is...and people going "Dude...wtf are we listening to??"

The "Sleepwalk" guitars of Santo & Johnny are a classic sound and I LOVE both the music on this LP and the jacket. I think this was Santo & Johnny at their stylistic best.

For some reason, there were quite a number of French Canadian steel guitarists putting out "Hawaiian-styled" pop tune cover LPs. Maybe they sold well in Canada at the time because of Santo & Johnny, etc...? Anyway, here's one that I particularly like. I don't actually KNOW most of these songs in their original form, but they worked well on steel....and this chic is very stylin'.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-03 1:56 pm   Permalink

Marlene Sai came right out of high school and into the musical spotlight here in Hawaii. She has decades of LPs behind her and had a beautiful deep voice. I just selected this LP "Magic Moods Of Waikiki" as I like the stylized jacket, and it was recorded with a full orchestra and has many classics on it "Waikiki", "Dahil Sayo", "Akaka Falls", etc..a very nice Hawaiian album.

Finally today, from Japan, Buckie Shirakata & His Aloha Hawaiians really get their groove on with the strangely titled LP "Wide Hawaiian: Tropical Rhythm Of Tahiti." Here is a collection of Tahitian songs, played by a typical steel guitar combo, but with Tahitian log & drums thrown in here & there throughout the songs. It's interesting, if a bit jolting at times and I wish a non-Japanese steel player would have done a similar LP, as the Japanese steel players tend to be so heavy on the single-note playing, you really don't get the drippy, sweet harmonies that much, which would have been nice...but, oh well, it's an interesting spin for sure!

basilh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-03 4:00 pm   Permalink

Well, quite unusual, an album of mine on world release by EMI was released by Toshiba records in Japan as a Red vinyl sampler on the Odeon label OP-8327 (yax-3414) and called :- Mood Deluxe Melodies for Best Dresser ???? Originally entitled "Shades of Hawaii" I can't begin to figure out the reason for the alternate title..

There are more details about this and other albums of mine
HERE

View Profile of basilh Send a personal message to basilh  Email basilh Goto the website of basilh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation