FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
Show us your record collection!
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-04 02:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-03 16:00, basilh wrote:
Well, quite unusual, an album of mine on world release by EMI was released by Toshiba records in Japan as a Red vinyl sampler on the Odeon label OP-8327 (yax-3414) and called :- Mood Deluxe Melodies for Best Dresser ???? Originally entitled "Shades of Hawaii" I can't begin to figure out the reason for the alternate title..

I think you will find the answer to that title change here:

http://www.engrish.com/

Kaiwaza, PTD, everyone here:

I love all this eye candy you are finding and posting, thank you!

Quote:

On 2009-10-03 13:23, Kaiwaza wrote:
The Surfers had a long recording career here in the islands. I've seen some of their material reissued on CD by a Japanese firm and also on an UK CD, but nothing stateside...outside of their last 1980s LP that was put on CD locally. Since they guys were all young good-looking Hawaiians they were usually all featured in some state of undress on their record jackets, which were ALL very colorful. Obviously, I like this one for the tiki action.

This one being shot at the entrance of Stephen Crane's Luau, no less, affording us a close up view of the entrance/logo Tikis!

I will have a Surfers track from the other album photographed at The Luau on my upcoming "The Sound of Tiki" CD:

These guys were discovered and their first album recorded at the Glendale Junior College in L.A. - a complete mainland fabrication of Polynesia.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-10-04 02:30 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-04 12:31 pm   Permalink

Four more today...

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 8:28 pm   Permalink

Going through the "t, u, & v's" today, most of what I pulled today is here because of it's obscurity.
"The Three Sounds of Kona" was made up of Kay Edsman, Executive Housekeeper of Kailua-Kona's Hukilau Hotel, Glen Auna, star of the Polynesian Review at the Kona Hilton, & Gene Pickett, on Hammond organ, performer at Reuben's. For some reason, the LP was recorded at Bill Hunter's recording studio in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I loved the back cover photo taken in the studio, I had to included it.

Many of us are probably familiar with steel guitarist Bud Tutmarc & his many, many Hawaiian arranged-LPs of gospel tunes. Obviously, THIS one is a bit "out-of-whack" with the rest of his rather staid photo pictures, but...who can resist the fake lei, fish nets & fake MONKEY...it's beautiful...and it's good for your soul..lol.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 8:47 pm   Permalink

These three gentlemen did double duty as musical entertainers and nightly conch-shell blowers & lighting the torches along the lagoon at the famous Coco Palms Hotel on Kauai. (Hence the name.."The Torchlighters") Both the look of the LP and the music itself is great..beautiful falsettos harmonies in old Hawaiian style doing many favorites "Magic Isle", "Wedding Song", "Now Is The Hour" etc.

"Islands of Fantasy" by Vanua Levu was recorded in Germany ..not dated, maybe 70s, 80s I'd think. Amazingly, I ran across a double CD with all these & even MORE of Vanua Levus "hits." Such songs as "Hawaiian Rose", "Suma Hana", Honolulu Love Song", "Island Of Dreams" and more. I don't seem to find much information on this guy (I'm assuming Vanua Levu is referring to ONE guy rather than a group..?), but I'd venture a guess that's he's either Filipino or Indonesian. It's MOST interesting music....totally Abba-esque, "let's go Euro-beaching", early Venga Boys..lol. I love it actually. Any one know anything about Vanua Levu??

Well, this LP is ANYTHING but obscure...I'll bet 90% of us have at least one copy of it. And I'll proudly admit that I happen to LOVE Billy Vaughn's twin saxophone treatment of everything. I find myself imagining what his LPs would sound like today trying to cover the current hits. Anyway, I put this here because it is a FAVORITE of mine, both for the music & for the very feminine, sexy, enigmatic cover. It's almost iconoclastic & it was a HUGE selling LP..I'm really surprised no contemporary group has ever made a copy version of this cover photo. I mean, the wierd look on her face...like she's got a broomstick up her behind, and I've ALWAYS wondered..WHAT THE HECK IS THAT PINK POUFFY THING in the background?? What is it?? It's one of the great mysteries of record history to me...

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 8:57 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2009-10-10 21:03 ]

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 9:00 pm   Permalink

Ken Ufton, steel guitarist, has recorded a few LPs all on rather obscure labels (including one for Maple's Sweet Steel Guitar Series). On this particular record, he is a "one-man-band" playing all the guitars. Blame Canada for this one...c1987.

How could I pass on posting this one? The Tiki Serenaders were all employees of Honolulu's Tiki Transportation Company and while not singing, were chauffeuring around visitors in their fleet of late model limousines. A mix vocal group with a mix of Hawaiian & hapa-haole tunes.."Yellow Ginger Lei", "Singing Bamboo", Na Ka Pueo", "Pearly Shells", etc.

And last but not least today, we take you to the Banyan Tree Room of the Hale Koa Hotel where "Tami's Hula Nanis" take you on an exotic journey through Polynesia. This was one of the longest running revues in Waikiki...there seem to have been SEVERAL of the longest running revues in Waikiki with LPs out.. BTW, in case you're wondering, Tama is the guy to the left of the big drum...beating the logs.

twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-12 11:19 am   Permalink

Found the oft-repressed (or re-pressed I should say) Kaino -

And, a local record store has Chaino's "Jungle Echoes" for a total of $20 as well as a Korla Pandit LP with the bonus of an autographed back cover additionally signed "Vancouver, 1961", I guess when on tour or on a visit. That one's up for $10.
Must make a decision, soon!

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 4:06 pm   Permalink

Even though I was crawling all weekend, that didn't prevent me from hunting. From 6:30 a.m. Sunday...

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 05:01 am   Permalink

I noticed after I posted these two are basically the same covers:

The record companies sure seemed to get a lot of mileage out of their photos!

PTD

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 4:56 pm   Permalink

As a kid living on the mainland listening to my grandfather's Hawaiian LPs, I was always confused by a Honolulu records company named "49th State Hawaii Records." I mean, HELLO, everyone knows Hawaii is the 50th state. Years later, living in Hawaii, I learned the story of this record company. Run by George Ching, it began production in 1948, pre-statehood, when EVERYONE thought Hawaii would be named the 49th state. Alaska snuck in by surprise just before Hawaii as there were still some concerns about admitting a state with a Caucasian minority population. Anway, 49th State Hawaii records was a non-union company employeeing many not very well rehearsed musicians recording in people's living rooms. Many of Genoa Keawe's earlier recordings are on the 49th label and although the company recorded for just 10 years their repackaged LPs and 45s were STILL selling in the 1980s. In fact, Cord International has re-issued a fair amount of 49th State material on CD. However, they DON'T have the FABULOUS photographs on ALL the 49th State records..they just SCREAM 1950s Hawaiiana and I couldn't help but post several of their dozens of LPS. They are just beautiful! In good condition, these LPS go for big bucks in the islands today.
BTW...For whatever reason, Cord Int'l has chosen NOT to reissue any of the beautiful steel guitar instrumentals that primarily feature Benjamin Rogers & The Harmony Isles Group that are on one side of most of these LPs. Their combination of steel guitar & vibes is THE iconoclassic Hawaiian sound of the 1950s and I don't know WHY they don't put together a CD. If you like that sound, I highly reccomend a more recent steel CD by Herbert Hanawahine that is a direct copy of this 1950s vibes/steel sound...same style as Benjamin Rogers Harmony Isle Group.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 5:07 pm   Permalink

Here's a reissue of some Viking Records music recorded in New Zealand, issued by NY's Fiesta records. Fiesta seems to have specialized in re-issuing foreign music recorded overseas & released many Hawaiian LPS by New Zealand and European based acts. I like Bill Wolfgramme's playing, but I just also love this jacket...it "pops" as they say.

Imagine Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass on a Hawaiian Jet-Set vacation and you get "Frank Valdor's Hawaii Beat A Go-Go." For me, this is one of those fantasy LPs that you figure wouldn't exist in reality & yet it does. Great groovy brass swinging to "Moon Over Waikiki", "Hula Shuffle", "Mini Grass Skirt", "Marching Guitars", "Island Hopper", "Waikiki Beat" and more...it's just awesome. And what about the jacket? I mean, none of these photos has ANYTHING to do with Hawaii at all. It's treasure.

Here's a simple compilation of actual Hawaiian recording artists recorded for the opening of the Ilikai Hotel in Waikiki. You might know the Ilikai as beeing the hotel where Jack Lord is first seen in the "Hawaii Five-O" opening credits. Nice period artwork here. I wonder if this was given out or sold to guests at the hotel?

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 5:16 pm   Permalink

Finally today, here's a record that is of interest, not so much for the content, but or the gatefold artwork. It essentially a hula instruction LP...common enough at the time called " The How & Why Of Hula" 1961, Starburst sales, featuring The Lurline TRio & The Matsonia Trio..instructions on side one, a few hula tempo numbers on side 2. This must have been sold on the cruise ships themselves (Matsonia & Lurline) as evidenced from "The Log" on the inside cover. There is NO CREDIT given for the artist (not even a signature on the paintings themselves), yet, is it not FANTASTIC? I've posted several pages from the gatefold pages.

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-17 2:11 pm   Permalink

A few from today...

Later!

PTD

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-17 7:47 pm   Permalink

A very nice Hawaiian LP from Likelike Weisbarth who sang at "Pat's At Punalu'u" on the North Shore of Oahu island. I used to play this one a lot when I worked in both college and professional Hawaiian radio.

Lion Records put out this compilation of earlier material. One side is by Lani McIntyre, the other by Hal Aloma full orchestra. The Lani McIntyre stuff is out there is several forms, but this is the only time I've run across these particular Hal Aloma full dance orchestra recordings..usually it's just a small combo. Hal's big band swing arrangement of "Kuu Lei Makamae" is particularly nice. Pretty jacket as well.

"OK, Madge, let's go out by the driveway and shoot us a Hawaiian record cover picture." Another photographic treasure from Starday Records of Tennessee.

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2009-10-17 19:49 ]

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-17 8:01 pm   Permalink

"A Latin From Manhattan In Hawaii" by Ernie Warren & The Hula Rhythm Boys" is a flat out amazing LP...A few standards & many Hawaiian originals performed as cha-chas and latin numbers. Both Sam Makia and Hal Aloma are artists on this LPs and "Hula Cha" (aka Hawaiian War Chant Cha Cha Cha) is absolutely killer. You MUST get this LP if you ever see it!

Indonesia/Holland's Rudy Wairata played steel guitar for many years with the Kilima Hawaiians and also had successful groups of his own. Here's a Dutch LP with tracks such as "When We Do The Hula-Hula Beat", "Swinging Steel Guitar", "A Ship Is Sailing", "Farewell To Samoa", etc. However, I particularly am drawn to the fetching outfits worn by the band members. These people know how to have a luau even if it is in a brick garden....extra bonus points for the accordian muumuu.

Another rare Wairata offering..."Stereo Cruise." This LP is unusul in that it features Wairata instrumentally on steel playing selections backed by a full orchestra..."Hibiscus", "Love Song Of The Tropics", "Moon Dream", and others.
I'm ready for my shipboard mai tai.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation