FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Show us your record collection!
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-01 9:40 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-02 05:40 am   Permalink

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-02 09:54 am   Permalink

Excellent! Flawless execution in its restraint. You really had me there for a moment! An undiscovered gem that bombed and had been forgotten!!? When I got to about the third song title I got it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-04 10:48 am   Permalink

With many vintage LPs in frames around my house... I have found it really bizarre how many of the records I have purchased/found where the owner had WRITTEN THEIR NAME or put a label on the LP cover somewhere.

Sometimes it was discreetly written on the back... other times it was in giant ink letters right through the face of the people on the cover.

In all my years of owning CD's I cant ever recall being compelled to write my name on the cases... why would they ever get mixed up with someone elses if they only sat in MY car or house?

With a record, the portability is even less (house only) so Im unclear why so many record owners were compelled to write all over them and ruin otherwise lovely cover art.

Anyone have any insight as to why?

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-04 10:57 am   Permalink

I used to bring records to parties when I was a teen-ager. To make sure they didn't get mixed up with anyone else's, we wrote our names on the covers, although usually on the back.

Does that help?

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-04 11:07 am   Permalink

I've noticed it too. Especially at garage & estate sales where at one sale, every record in the box will have the owner's signature scrawled across it in pen. Then at the next sale, no signatures.

My guess is that buying a record was a more-significant expenditure back in the 50s and 60s than buying a cd is today. I think people must have lent them out like books.

I've also had a hint at Lodge Sales, (like an Elks lodge), Club Sales (like a motorcycle club), and Church sales, when they're clearing out the location's own record collection (as opposed to just a box of donations). At a few of these, almost every record in the box had a signature and the signatures were different. This makes me think that the lodge or church listening library was made up of donations from its members and that these were expected to be returned to their rightful owners at some time.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-04 11:11 am   Permalink

I've also noticed that in CD collections owned by DJs, sometimes every CD will have the owner's name written on the case in grease-pencil.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-11-04 11:12 ]

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-04 11:34 am   Permalink

While on a trip to LA last year I noticed an abundance of records with the name Ira Cook scribbled very large on the cover of every album this guy owned. Some scrawled right over someones face!! I thought to myself "what an idiot". My Dad noticed a bunch of these as well and was downright disgusted that anyone would do this.

Later, I found out that Ira Cook was a big DJ in LA back in the 60's and 70's and even wrote liner notes for LP's as well.

Maybe this was his way of keeping his personal collection away from the radio station copies, I don't know.

Either way it's a senseless act of vinyl vandalism!!!

My 2 cents, carry on...........

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-04 12:10 pm   Permalink

As far as removing those signatures on lp covers, I've had some good success using Clean Cover Gel on a damp Magic Eraser.

http://www.sicpress.com/surface.html

The Clean Cover Gel is great for cleaning and restoring luster to record covers on its own, applied with a paper towel or cloth. Just make sure you apply to the paste-down art itself and don't get any on the spine or edges of the jacket as these areas can soak up the gel and get discolored. However, applied to the glossy artwork on a record cover, it acts like Armor-All does to car interiors. It can even minimize scuffs and ringwear. And it sure cleans out that ingrained dirt and dust.

However, if you pair it with a damp Magic Eraser, it can remove some pen marks. The Clean Cover Gel diminishes the abrasive effect of the Magic Eraser. I apply it very gently and I've had pen marks disappear like magic on without effecting the color underneath. However, some pens (like markers) soak in too deep into the label and by the time you make progress removing the ink, you've also removed the color underneath. So be careful - but since the cover was already marred by the pen signature, a little removal of the color isn't necessarily worse.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-11-04 12:22 ]

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-04 1:23 pm   Permalink

Who knew.....

http://www.laradio.com/index3.htm

Ira made a career out of his association with Hawaiian music. He played one Hawaiian song an hour and brought Don Ho to the Mainland at the height of Ho's career. “In college I became intrigued with Hawaiian music and I went to the Islands for 12 years straight.” Another of his popular features was "Star of the Day," in which Ira featured one track from one artist every half-hour. Between 1960 and 1972, Ira hosted over 3,000 AFRTS programs "It was really fascinating getting letters from servicemen in Iceland asking about Hawaiian music. It seemed to be as popular there as country music."

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2009-11-04 13:24 ]

A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-04 5:03 pm   Permalink

I have a few Ira Cook artifacts as well. Thanks Jeff for clearing up the "Who is this guy and why he does he want to wreck the covers?!" question I've been asking myself.

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-05 02:01 am   Permalink

Today, I'm going through the old 10-inch LP records, a format that just preceded the 12 -inch platters and in fact, they co-existed for a while. The ones I've selected are rare or strange..

Now, THIS is a gem of musical history interest. King's serenade vol. 1 (I've never seen vol. 2 if it was ever recorded) features the compositions of wildly famous Hawaiian composer, Charles E. King...responsible for hundreds of songs, many still performed today. However, what's interesting here is that Charles E. King himself gives a descriptive introduction to each selection. Hal Aloma performs Hawaiian Wedding Song, Eleu mikmiki, and others.

This is an American release on Mercury, but features French steel guitarist Marcel Bianchi & His Hawaiian Orchestra. Blue Hawaii, Hawaiian sun, Kahoula serenade, and others. Nice cover art.

An Australian release, Aloha Hawaii features this unlikely list of artists: Lila Lani, Ko Latane, with Nalu Mehana & The Pacific Islanders. A very inviting cover, don't you think?

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-05 02:09 am   Permalink

Released by Terna Hawaii Records (The only thing I've ever seen from Terna...?) this compilation of Hawaiian classics for the hula is volume 1. Was there a volume 2..? Never seen it. Great artwork.

Some nice early recordings by famous Hawaiian crooner Ray Kinney & his Hawaiians....features My tane, Parting day, Tomi tomi, etc. Again, cool period artwork.

More terrific cover art on this RCA Victor release from Sam Makia & his Waikikians. Sam Makia was one of my favorites steel players. His playing was always very sweet, quivering, almost like he was ready to have an emotional breakdown..lol...very beautiful. This earlier release, however, seems to rely more on the vocal stylings of The Waikikians.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-05 02:25 am   Permalink

Budget label Remington put out this treasure by The Waikiki Wanderers Orchestra....Hal Aloma recording under a pseudonym. These same recordings would be repackaged by others early budget labels as The Plymouth Hawaiian Orchestra on Plymouth Records, etc., etc. I like the hula girls enclosed by the floral wreath.

The Tau Moe Family spent most of their lives AWAY from Hawaii travelling around the world performing their music only returning to Hawaii for occassional family visits. Here's proof. The Tau Moe Family in a release from Yugoslavia.

The aforementioned 49th State Hawaii record company, in addition to it's hundreds of 45 rpm singles, collected songs into compilations of 'native artists' in both 12 inch and 10 inch formats. While the 12 inch LPs had amazing and varied photographs, for whatever reason, their 10 inch releases featured either a plain red or yellow jacket with lettering only OR this far superior painting. The were all called Souvenir songs of Hawaii and each simply had a different volume number with the same artwork. This is volume 26.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-05 02:41 am   Permalink

Without a doubt, a BEAUTIFUL, exotic painting. It's the type you wish you could find the original or a print and blow it up to frame...just fantastic. I distinctly recall my jaw dropping the moment I found this as I'd never seen it before and the cover is just breathtaking. An early Jerry Byrd steel guitar lp.

A Japanese recording of typical dance band tunes with no relationship to Hawaii that I can decipher, but a great jacket nonetheless.

Distinctive artwork on this German 10 inch featuring the likes of Club Indonesia, Valentinos Hawaiian Band and others. I really enjoy some of the German 'Hawaiian' releases & this one is no exception. A great rendition of West of Samoa and Domingo Santo Domingo (well...it's a tropical island, right?).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation