FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
Show us your record collection!
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-05 02:49 am   Permalink

A Chinese 10 inch...here we see a lovely scene with tropical beach goers enjoying the local animal life, namely kangaroos. As I'm typing this I've just realized that the wrong record is in the sleeve as the back of the sleeves says it's from Ring Ring Records...and the LP label says Four Seas Records. That explains things. I've often wondered why THIS would have been the selected record artwork for an LP of Christmas carols performed and sung in Chinese style.

And we end our look at 10-inchers with a couple of hot Frenxh releases both by L'Hawai-Club De Paris (featuring steel guitarist Marchel Bianchi again). Is this great cover art or what??

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-05 05:56 am   Permalink

Awesome covers of records we never see!!!

Thanks for posting kaiwaza!!

Beautiful artwork indeed!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-08 07:47 am   Permalink

Kaiwaza - that's some of the best album-cover artwork ever. Of all of those, I've only seen the King's Serenade before. Thanks for posting this eye-candy.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-08 12:31 pm   Permalink

Only found two albums today...

Is this the same Frank Hunter from "White Goddess"?

Later!

PTD

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2009-11-08 12:48 ]

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-08 10:05 pm   Permalink

All from one estate sale over the weekend.

This guy had great taste in music and kept the vinyl in mint condition. It's a pleasure to listen to these records in such clean condition with great depth of sound.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nature boy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-09 06:05 am   Permalink

Man! What a haul! Great collection!

View Profile of nature boy Send a personal message to nature boy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-09 06:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-09 06:05, nature boy wrote:
Man! What a haul! Great collection!

Ditto!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-09 2:26 pm   Permalink

Oh Jeez, all those Santo & Johnny albums!

And I have never seen that Arthur Lyman LP that PTD found!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-11 10:23 am   Permalink

Hey Kaiwaza - many returning thanks for the incredible cover art many of us mainlanders will likely never see! Awesome stuff! (Even when my face turns the background color of TC when looking at 'em - INCLUDING the tapa pattern - with envy!)

Oh, and a while back I mentioned not getting a Korla Pandit LP from a local record shop... well, I buckled & went 'n bought it -

The Universal Language of Music Volume One from 1954

- and the signature on the all-blank back cover -

And a nice find, at much less cost than the Korla @ .75 - signed by Genoa herself -

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-14 8:15 pm   Permalink

New today...

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-16 06:20 am   Permalink

Whoa PTD, you are fearless! "Melveen, the Hawaiian Country Girl?" "The Banjo Barons"? "You Don't Need a Mind Just Soul" !?
And I would love to hear all those Beatles covers by the Waikikis!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-16 12:34 pm   Permalink

The Waikikis ruled the universe. Their Christmas album is to die for.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-16 12:53 pm   Permalink

Bigbro-

I have the Waikikis LP with the Beatles covers too.

I can forward it to you for your listening pleasure if you happen to have a turntable handy.

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-16 1:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-16 06:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
Whoa PTD, you are fearless! "Melveen, the Hawaiian Country Girl?" "The Banjo Barons"? "You Don't Need a Mind Just Soul" !?
And I would love to hear all those Beatles covers by the Waikikis!

bigbro,

I seem to be buying records at a pace quicker than I can listen to them. Those I happened to purchase from a guy who bought out an old place called "Records" that used to be on the K Street Mall in Sacramento. He ended up buying approximately 80,000 albums when the owner died. He came over on Friday night with the first box of approximately 80 Exotica and Hawaiian albums, the ones I posted were the ones I didn't already have. He had quite a few Lyman, Denny and Baxter records, I had all but the ones I posted and more Hawaiian. He is still in the process of going through and pulling more out as he comes across them. My favorites of the bunch were the New Orleans Jazz Band of Hawaii and the The Surfers Live and Well at Hop Louie's Latitude 20! The guy cut me a pretty good deal, so I will continue to buy from him as he comes across this stuff.

PTD

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-16 1:34 pm   Permalink

Moving into some "exotica" lps nows, again, I'm going to try & just stick with either lps that seems pretty rare or interesting in some other way.

It wasn't too long ago that I first saw a dvd release of the film "Mondo Cane" & became interested in all the follow-up "cash-in" films that were made after it. I saw this budget label lp (Viking) and was interested in the title "Theme From Mondo Cane & Other Horror Music" by "Ugella & Viking Pops Orchestra." I mean, I didn't consider "Mondo Cane" a HORROR film and the theme (More) is actually quite popular & beautiful. So, what the heck would this recording be...?
Well, it's an orchestral version of "More" followed by seven tracks by CHAINO. Yeah, it's definitely Chaino tracks lifted from other lps. Fascinating.

I'm not exactly sure why I enjoy this record so much. Pictured on the cover is NOT a model, but the songstress featured, Diane Adrian. Darn...I forgot to snap the back cover...I'll add it later as it has GREAT shots of her hamming it up in "native garb." It says Diane has toured the Caribbean many times and collected the material heard in this album. She sings in a combination of English, French or patois or something...with a full Western orchestra with added percussion. There's something very intriguing about listening to a semi-operatic singer "going native" with her renditions of supposedly actual voodoo chants. You go, Diane!

I imagine many of us have at least ONE copy of this LP in our collections. WE know about the Luke Leilani budget LPs..well, this is the budget label "exotica" recording of drumming & African/Haitian/Whatever voodoo vocals that was reissued under a hundred different names & titles. I do love when it was released as "Tahitian Percussion" because it CLEARLY isn't...but I find this jacket to be fetching & I honestly have seldom seen it around the thrift or record shops.
Imean, one is always stumbling across blondes in the jungle, right?

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2009-11-18 12:34 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation