FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
Show us your record collection!
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-19 3:52 pm   Permalink

Well, the local SPCA thrift got a LOAD of Hawaiian LP's in from somebody... Two big storage buckets worth filled with at least 3-350 albums, mostly smaller-label stuff on 49th State, Waikiki, Sounds of Hawaii, etc labels.
A lot of doubles, triples, even quad's in there (surprisingly no Lyman, Denny, Baxter items), and two trips later I had all this:

One by Alfred Apaka's son:

A Hawaii Calls box set (3 prev. released lps):

One of a series - unfortunately, I only got the one before the others were scooped by someone else:

And a Charles K.L. Davis young - and c.20 years later -

Many more back at the thrift, but much less intriguing fare & lots I already have. But most are in pristine condition.
Now to find time to listen to it all...

AND on an unrelated note and no I don't have it but it was just brought to my attention - a Sandy Warner cover from an RCA Camden release in like Paraguay or something, using the same image from a Bob Thompson release:

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-19 9:59 pm   Permalink

Thrift store finds from the past few weeks...

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-20 1:25 pm   Permalink

Twitch...talk about a freaking motherload..what a sale! There are some GREAT LPs there too. I especially love the Malekowa & The Trade Winds record.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 4:59 pm   Permalink

Nice haul from the SPCA thrift and good you support them!

A couple I didn't have on my way home today...

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-24 1:56 pm   Permalink

new additions..all in ONE DAY..from an 84 yr-old deceased collector in Scottsdale..the Capitol New Exotica on the far right is AWESOME
btw Mele Kalikimaka is like the GREATEST Xmas LP EVAH..its the first to go on at my house when the season hits!!

[ This Message was edited by: bb moondog 2010-04-24 13:58 ]

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-25 11:53 am   Permalink

Love the Annette ablum you found...

Today's find as mostly repeats I will probably sell at my garage sale during the October Sacramento Tiki Crawl...

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-06 09:43 am   Permalink

Wow PTD - that looks like an almost mint cover on the Sumac Jivaro LP!

Here's another batch from that same SPCA thrift, with a few from a bi-annual record swap (still ain't seen anyone actually trade LPs at this thing...) thrown in.

- the Ia'Oe Ka La lps I re-found at the thrift in a far-off bucket on the other side of the room, so I now sort of have all three in the series (considerin there weren't more), but I say sort of as I found three copies of Vol.1, and all three had the Vol.2 vinyl in them! screw-up at the pressing plant, I'm guessing; and the George Kainapau is a nice little 10"...
There's still around 10-15 albums there that I don't have - along with 2x,3x,4x copies of several of the other LPs I've posted - but I think I got my hands full already, since I haven't even started listening to any of these yet...

Which brings up a question for Kaiwaza - any suggestions to what albums should be heard first?!

(And a PS about the bi-annual record swap this time 'round: HUGE disappointment regarding any Hawaiian/exotica. Out of 10's of thousands of LPs and I came across maybe 10 total, and they were in the 'greatest hits' range of Martin Denny and Lyman. The few I got that were anything special came from one guy's collection from his garage that otherwise would've filled a few volumes of "Incredibly Strange Music" by RE/Search [and yes, I cleaned him out pretty good!])

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-04 3:46 pm   Permalink

Wow, 29 days since I posted pictures of records in this thread? Fridays are usually record browsing day for me...here are a few from today...some Island, some Rockabilly, some Surf and a couple of what the hells!

I recognize a couple of Stray Cats here, minus Brian Setzer?

Later,

PTD

USAF Retired
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-26 6:02 pm   Permalink

Todays find at an indoor flea market, I looked thru about 2000 albums to find these 8. I passed on several others that had either poor condition covers or discs. The seller told me he had at least 20,000 more albums in storage and invited me out to take a look in the somewhat near future.
Im looking forward to going down to my bar tonight and giving these a spin. I've already listened to the "Melodies From the South Seas" Its a great record with that typical steel guitar sound that everyone identifes as vintage Hawaiian music.

View Profile of USAF Retired Send a personal message to USAF Retired      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-27 3:48 pm   Permalink

Today's thrift store find. GREAT cover artwork on this one! I do believe the Wahine on top of the organ console is handing him one of those crazy left-handed cigarettes!

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-01 11:24 pm   Permalink

yard sales goodies

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
USAF Retired
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-04 7:24 pm   Permalink

Todays additions to my island music collection

View Profile of USAF Retired Send a personal message to USAF Retired      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-11 2:32 pm   Permalink

A few from today I didn't have...

Later,

PTD

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-13 2:37 pm   Permalink

More found today...

Later,

PTD

Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-29 01:40 am   Permalink

I finally got around to doing something I have been thinking about for ages - working out how to display LPs. It's all very well framing albums and hanging them on the wall, but what happens when you get tired of looking at them? I wanted a way of displaying various LPs on a temporary basis, by artist or theme, so I could change them whenever I got sick of them. One piece of hardboard, 3 strips of plastic joinery (the sort you use for joining shower paneling together), and some superglue, and voilà; a display board that can hold two rows of LPs:

Jan and Dean were last week's display. This week, it's Dick Dale:

Changing the covers is easy - all you have to do is slide the old ones out, and put new ones in. I take the records out of the covers first to prevent any accidents.

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation