FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Show us your record collection!
socksoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-04 1:51 pm   Permalink

Here are a couple of records purchased recently. I try and mix things up so as to fit any kind of mood here on the island. For example: Cry Freedom has some political undertones that perfectly soundtrack any prison escape, Herbie Mann makes for some good background cocktail lounge listening and To Sir With Love makes for some excellent late night detective work music.

View Profile of socksoff Send a personal message to socksoff      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quispquake
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-05 6:31 pm   Permalink

This is a great thread...Figured I'd add in a few I've picked up over the last two or three weeks..

Richard Hayman: Voodoo
Harry Breuer: Mallet Mischief
Irv Cottler: Around the World in Percussion
Toucan Sam Takes You on a Listening Safari

Bobby Montez: Jungle Fantastique (If anyone has any info on this one, I'd love to hear it...)
The Blazers: Drinking Songs Sung Under the Table
Perez Prado: Exotic Suite of the Americas
Augie Colon: Chant of the Jungle (Found this yesterday...definitely made my week!)

View Profile of quispquake Send a personal message to quispquake  Email quispquake Goto the website of quispquake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-06 2:46 pm   Permalink

A few recent interesting finds....
At the recent collector's expo I found this gem for just $2.00. It's quite an old LP, on the seldom seen MacGregor label called "Hawaiian Magic" by Al (Kealoha) Perry & His Singing Surf Riders...who would go on to have a long association with Webley Edwards "Hawaii Calls" programs & LPs. I've never even SEEN this LP before and was shocked to see it for for $2.00, but, hey..the tiki gods were smiling...

A few finds from ebay from Japan.
"Hawaiian: Harp"..easy listening renditions of Japanese pop tunes of the day, performed by a Hawaiian steel guitar combo & harpist.
"Newest Hits 14: Steel Guitar"...the Hit Kit Islanders review more of Japan's pop hits in Hawaiian style..but you gotta LOVE the LP cover picture here. Since this is vol. 14, I figured the other volumes MUST be various versions..like "Newest Hits 13..Cha Cha Cha" or something. Yet, on the inside (It's a gatefold) there are listing for other "Newest Hits" and there's another #14 with another title...could this mean there are at least 13 other "Hawaiian" "Newest Hits" out there I've not seen before?!!

Finally, a few non-Hawaiian LPs that wouldn't be out of place in ANY tiki lounge...

"Memories Of My Caribbean Cruise" features the not-so-great "Caribbean Cruise Lines Orchestra..At Sea!" (Perhaps they were a bit sea sick. ) But the jacket art is worth the price of admission.

Finally, a nice old school latin dance orchestra who performed at the El Salvador Intercontinental Hotel. Intercontinental Hotels had a LP produced for each of their hotels inVenezuela, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Mexico, Curacao, & Santo Domingo. I wonder if the used the same artist for the GREAT period artwork on all the LPs?

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
USAF Retired
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-07 1:01 pm   Permalink

These are the albums I added to my collection over the past few weeks.

View Profile of USAF Retired Send a personal message to USAF Retired      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
socksoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-11 10:53 am   Permalink

Just a couple of records with a little exotic touch.

View Profile of socksoff Send a personal message to socksoff      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-13 7:35 pm   Permalink

Surf band covering all angles -

Close-up of Rangi's necklace -

And the Kui is a 3-LP set made up shortly after his death, his music, but sung by Gene Merlino, with the 3rd LP all spoken-word by Merlino as well.

Woops - those came out all different sizes, damn...

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
USAF Retired
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-15 7:44 pm   Permalink

Today I went to a flea market and found these for $1 each.
A combo book and album!

Then on the way home I stopped at Goodwill and hit the mother load ..all these for 50 cents each.

And a friend gave me this one, He found it in a box of auto literature that he bought at auction.

View Profile of USAF Retired Send a personal message to USAF Retired      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Tim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 12:15 am   Permalink

Nice find USAF...Like The Waikiki's Moonlight on Diamond Head cover

View Profile of Tiki-Tim Send a personal message to Tiki-Tim  Email Tiki-Tim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
USAF Retired
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-22 7:30 pm   Permalink

Todays addition to my music collection.

Unfortunately it appears someone set a cold drink on Sandy's head on the "Silver Screen" cover

I really like this cover and I will be framing and displaying it soon.

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-05 2:48 pm   Permalink

Some from this weekend...

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-08 12:18 pm   Permalink

My latest hunting in the wild thrift store finds

Spanish Village - Martin Denny
Exotica III - Martin Denny
Afro-Desia - Martin Denny
Bwana a - Arthur Lyman
Call of the Midnight Sun - Arthur Lyman
Hawaiian Sunset vol.II - Arthur Lyman

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-09 2:24 pm   Permalink

So, when I bid on this LP on ebay, I only really glanced at it to make sure it wasn't a re-issue of an earlier Marcel Bianchi LP, a French steel guitarist that I have several LPs from. I didn't give it much thought & assumed the title "Disco Hawaii" just meant "Hawaiian Disc" or "Disc Of Hawaiian Music" or a generic title. It wasn't until it arrived in the mail, I opened it up & realized the copyright date was 1980, rather late for Bianchi, & it dawned on me.."wait, you mean....could they actually mean Disco Hawaii as in DISCO music??"
And sure enough, it's Marcel on Hawaiian steel with full on disco drum machine, and Salsoul Orchestra type arrangements of standards and several originals. Tres bizarre & wonderful. "Lahilahi Beach" is a new favorite of mine.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-19 2:00 pm   Permalink

Today...

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-19 8:10 pm   Permalink

My latest wax:

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-07 5:51 pm   Permalink

Been checking out this thread for a little over a year now, loving all the covers! I planned on posting a few of mine as well until my camera was stolen. I replaced the camera recently and although this somewhat more of find, I was so excited to find this LP, I felt compelled to post it here. Exotica on side A and jazzy lounge on the B side. You can get some Royal Tahitian history on this thread

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=2233&forum=1&59.

[ This Message was edited by: A frame 2010-10-07 17:52 ]

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation