FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts *Updates* Shipwreck Kelly & Tina's Backyard project.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
*Updates* Shipwreck Kelly & Tina's Backyard project.
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-25 12:16 pm   Permalink

I'm new to this board, but I've been an avid Tikiphile since a trip to Disney World's Enchanted Tiki Room in 1974. I have been making and enjoying various Tiki stuff, since then.
Recently, my girlfriend (whom I sometimes call "Tiki Tina") wanted to theme our back yard. We live in Phoenix AZ. We schemed up some cool ideas, and I'd like to share them with you folks.

We began our project with only a dream, and raw materials. This weekend though, we moved on to creating a reed & bamboo fence. There's a long, fun trip ahead!
Here's a slideshow of the fence building.

http://www.astrodesia.com/Fence/index.html

I'd love to hear your feed-back!

Mahalo,
Kelly

[ This Message was edited by: kewlava 2007-10-07 18:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kewlava 2008-07-21 16:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kewlava 2008-07-22 06:16 ]

View Profile of Kewlava Send a personal message to Kewlava  Email Kewlava Goto the website of Kewlava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 1:12 pm   Permalink

Welcome aboard! Great start! Check out Bongofury's thread on his place as well! It is very inspirational!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ShawnJuanTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-25 7:00 pm   Permalink

Nice work! Looks like you have a nice start to work from........

I'm relatively new to this too. I started with my old deck and over the spring, I've been able to convert it into somewhere far,far,away. Kinda a South Pacific hangout with a little Caribbean influence as well. It's all good..........

Keep us updated on your progress!

SJT--

View Profile of ShawnJuanTiki Send a personal message to ShawnJuanTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 03:08 am   Permalink

Nice start and welcome to TC!

There are hundreds of inspirational threads regarding homebound paradise here. Just remember....They don't happen overnight and be patient. Mine took over a year. Many here took longer and some shorter, But, they are all fantastic!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2007-06-26 05:52 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC....and looking good so far. Need some tiki torches & tikis, but at least you already have the tropical lagoon.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 08:46 am   Permalink

That fence looks absolutely perfect. You did a beautiful job with it. It really gives the yard a great tropical background, and the horizontal contrasting framing was a great touch.

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 09:35 am   Permalink

You're smarter than I am! When I put up reed fencing two years ago with 1/2 staples, I was CONSTANTLY having to restaple. Putting the "rail" over it is such an obvious solution. I'm glad you thought of it.

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-26 10:15 am   Permalink

Thanks so much for the support, everyone!
Yea, I know it will take a long time. In fact the smaller place I had in LA several years ago was an on-going project, as this will be. My hat's off to Queen Kamehameha for sharing pics of her great place with the Pirate Ship! That gave me some terriffic ideas, which I'll implement in a slightly different way.(No Priate Ship tho!)
Yea, It needs masks on the wall, several Tikis all around, and those smaller torches will become Tiki-fied. There are plans for a lounge/bar under the back porchwhich will become "The Lanai". Our tentative name for the place is "The Paradise Cove". Oh, yea. I have designed a 5ft. lava rock tiki with glowing eyes as well.
Again, thanks for all of your support. I'll keep-a-postin!

Oh, here's one of my original tiki mask designs. I'll use him somewhere.

Kelly

View Profile of Kewlava Send a personal message to Kewlava  Email Kewlava Goto the website of Kewlava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 09:58 am   Permalink

if you need custom tikis done---look me up--I am in Gilbert--you design I carve--or let ME design--I almost have a current order done so I will be freed up

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-27 2:41 pm   Permalink

It's been awhile, and our backyard project is coming right along.
Take a look. And please let me know your opinions and thoughts!

http://www.astrodesia.com/kewlava/PL/index.html

Kelly

VampiressRN

Posted: 2007-09-27 7:41 pm   Permalink

It is looking beautiful. I love those two palms you have planted right next to your pool...nice touch.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo stu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 6:09 pm   Permalink

Nice work! That backyard was a blank slate if I ever saw one. My backyard project too was inspired by the Tiki Room at Disneyland.

What is it about the Tiki Room that made such a lasting impression on us?? I mean, we're not building backyards based on the Small World ride..yikes!

View Profile of bamboo stu Send a personal message to bamboo stu  Goto the website of bamboo stu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-07 3:39 pm   Permalink

I added a new Tiki that I carved from a VERY dry piece of palm. I left it to look kinda crude so it would look old when it weathered a bit.

Kelly

Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-21 4:19 pm   Permalink

Since my last post, I've added more stuff.

A sign...

A Self-Serve bar...

a Pond and waterfall...

...and just more Tiki stuff!

Oh, can't forget the Tiki-Room style birds!

Tune in for more Tikification coming soon!

Shipwreck Kelly

[ This Message was edited by: Kewlava 2008-07-21 16:35 ]

sungod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 4:27 pm   Permalink

Kwel!!!

View Profile of sungod Send a personal message to sungod  Email sungod Goto the website of sungod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation