FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Clay Jams - Cannibal Bunnies - Mojave Mug 2012 - pg. 85
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 Next Page )
Clay Jams - Cannibal Bunnies - Mojave Mug 2012 - pg. 85
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 8:02 pm   Permalink

Hey Mooney, big thanks for bouncing in man! Your carving is rocking the house! keep up the great work.

Mudslinger, I am very honored that someone with 20+ years working in clay would like what I'm up to...Keep following, hopefully it will get even better.

Kelly, You know, for the most part, I gave up drinking about 15 years ago. However, If this bowl makes it through the drying and the 2 firings...I may just have to celebrate. Your Paradise Bowl will have 4 independent war bird mugs attached to the rim with removable heads (straws needed)...so basically, you are going to have to figure out a drink recipe for the mug areas on the bowl, and also the main bowl area...2 types of drinks - one bowl. Sounds fun huh? It's hard to go into all the details here on ceramics, but two main things to remember are...1. No air in the clay. One must work all of the air out of the clay while forming with it, or when firing, the trapped air in the clay will force it's way to the surface of the clay work causing a crack. 2. When joining two pieces of clay together, you want to try to use clay of the same moisture consistency (if you can), and score the clay (1st picture) so that the 2 pieces will adhere better.

I'm adding little buttresses under the rim where the main weight will be...

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 8:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-02 21:00, Babalu wrote:
Kate, I have some killa clay work over here of yours that needs a glazen...they came through the bisque firing sweeeet!

Yeah!!! I wish I lived closer so I could just pop over and do some glazing. I hope we can work out a day sometime in my ridiculously busy future that I can stop by.

This bowl is getting more and more unbelievable everytime I check the thread. I've got a million questions.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-06 01:30 am   Permalink

Fantastic! I will need a lesson on use when your done. It keeps getting better every day

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 02:13 am   Permalink

This bowl is amazing! Great work!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 05:06 am   Permalink

Hey Babalu, have not checked your thread out in a while, some beautiful glaze work you've been laying down on those man o war!

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 10:19 pm   Permalink

Hi Henrik - Sorry I missed your post yesterday, it looks like we were posting at about the same time...wow, very honored you stopped in, and yes, it will most certainly it will be an epic journey through dry-out land and the great kiln. I'm pushing my own limits on this one...the construction does not bother me too much, it's the unknowing of how this clay will react to it that causes me concern....all I can do is both dry and fire this guy real slow. Really man, thanks so much for stopping in...I'm a big fan of yours.

Kate - We will have to do another Trailer Trash Chop this summer! We will have the backyard open for carving and the studio for clay work. Anytime you want to come over in the mean time your more than welcome to. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away...who knows it may be a question someone else was wanting to ask too?

Kel - I was going to really put a good day in on your bowl here, but Amy's boss called and gave us free tickets to the game today...had to go for it...check out the seats

Hewey - Thanks for the kudos mate. If this guy makes it, I've got a good idea for a bamboo built pedestal to put it on....we'll see.

OceaOtica - It took me a moment to get to where I wanted those glazes...I can still see other areas I would like to experiment. I still have a few left that I have to make for a couple of folks...I'll post the results if they turn out. Wow, you have been on TC for awhile now - 2003! Your one of the old timers here. Thanks for bouncing in, I appreciate that.

Well, despite have a killer time at the game, I still got a little work in....also stuck a couple pictures of my crazy shop in too. It ain't much, but it's the center of the universe for me.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 11:11 pm   Permalink

Very cool work space - that reminds me I have some pics of mine to post up too. I wish I had an A-frame in my shed!
That bowl is just insane Babs - easily the most amazing and ambitious one I've ever seen. I love the way you've draped the tentacles into the interior. We'll all be praying to the clay gods along with you!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 07:30 am   Permalink

Home bars are great, but Babs' Polynesian Home Studio is da bes'. I think a whole house should be built with garage doors on every side that you can roll up on nice days....

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 05:26 am   Permalink

Babalu,
I am envious of your workshop. Looks like a grand place to create!

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 5:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-06 22:19, Babalu wrote:
Kate - If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away...who knows it may be a question someone else was wanting to ask too?

Okay. I just bought 25 lbs. of clay. Now what?

Just kidding. How long do I need to let it air out for before it's workable?

Also, I'm assuming that you've been working on this bowl over the course of many days. How long can you keep adding to it before it starts getting too dry?

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 9:47 pm   Permalink

Had to do my taxes yesterday, hence no clay work...tonight, however, I was able to texture all of the tentacles. The inside of this bowl is done. Now I can build up those last two mugs on the rim. I kept myself from building those last two mugs so that I could have more hand and arm room to reach around on the inside of the bowl and add the texture.

Paipo - Thanks man. I'm dying to see a couple pictures of your shop too...pleeeease post!

Cammo - Still gots some Oki's over here for you to glaze brother...come over and play.

OceaOtica - Thanks, my studio has been fun for me. As you can see, I'm into light. Where everyone else collects mugs around here, I have been collecting cheesy lamps for years. The electric bill is a little higher from burning bulbs all around my house all the time, but like one feels the need to spend the little extra to take long hot showers...I feel the little extra $ spent is totally worth it. Maybe I should start a "show off your lamps" thread over in Bildge? I bet lot's of TCers have some cool lamps?

Kate - Yay...you have some clay! Open the bag and dig in lady! Did you play in the mud as a kid? same thing really...this is dirt. Have fun! What type of clay did you buy? You can keep your clay work workable for a long time....keep the work moist as you go with a water spray bottle. Wrap your work in a plastic trash bag...double bag the work in the beginning as you put it away to rework later. Do you have any tools? If not, run down to Michaels, or someplace like that, and get one of their little beginner kits. You will get some wood tools and a wire to slice though the clay...If you don't have tools right now, that's ok...just dig into that bag of clay anyway. What would you like to build? maybe I can give you some pointers? Here are a few of my favorite tools...

Paipo, if your out there, I more or less use these same types of tools to work in that oil clay too.

Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-09 2:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks Babalu...that was sweet of you to say. I've got nothing on you as far as working with clay goes except a couple of years. This bowl is fantastic. I wish I could watch you work on it in real time. You should have been a teacher the way you're covering this construction method. Right on Babalu! I'm making a kiln god and goddess for the firing. Gotcher back.

MS

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-09 2:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-08 21:47, Babalu wrote:
Kate - Yay...you have some clay! Open the bag and dig in lady! Did you play in the mud as a kid? same thing really...this is dirt. Have fun! What type of clay did you buy? You can keep your clay work workable for a long time....keep the work moist as you go with a water spray bottle. Wrap your work in a plastic trash bag...double bag the work in the beginning as you put it away to rework later. Do you have any tools? If not, run down to Michaels, or someplace like that, and get one of their little beginner kits. You will get some wood tools and a wire to slice though the clay...If you don't have tools right now, that's ok...just dig into that bag of clay anyway. What would you like to build? maybe I can give you some pointers? Here are a few of my favorite tools...

I bought some low fire white body clay with grog.

I've got a few tools that you gave me last year, but I definitely need a few more.

I'm going to be making a bowl. It's a little ambitious, but I've been wanting to try it for about two years. And yesterday, when I was driving home, I had a complete revelation about the theme of the piece.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that I can successfully execute it. I'm sure I'll be bugging for advice though. I'll keep you posted.

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-09 10:03 pm   Permalink

What beautiful detail work on that bowl.... Very nice, Babalu!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-10 6:47 pm   Permalink

Wow! Can't wait to see this beast all glazed up. All the sharp details should punch very nicely through the right glaze.

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation